The Republican Utopia

24 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

$1.4 billion is peanuts compared to the $15-$30 billion for the arts. I don't think we need a physical wall, but I wish the focus wasn't so intentionally disingenuous. 

What are you including in that $15-$30 billion?

LINK

In the 2019 budget, $155 million was allocated to the National Endowment of the Arts and the National Endowment of the Humanities. The population of the U.S. is about 327 million, so that’s about 47.4 cents per person, only part of which goes to the NEA.

I actually don't have a problem with this expenditure.

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

What are you including in that $15-$30 billion?

LINK

I actually don't have a problem with this expenditure.

The Metropolitan got $1bil by itself. $15bil went to "Save our Stages".  As one Tweet I saw stated "so, American citizens get $600. That or one ticket to an event at the Met".  I too think that overall they are worthwhile entities, but absolutely disagree that they would be included at this time/in this bill. 

2 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

The Metropolitan got $1bil by itself. $15bil went to "Save our Stages".  As one Tweet I saw stated "so, American citizens get $600. That or one ticket to an event at the Met"I too think that overall they are worthwhile entities, but absolutely disagree that they would be included at this time/in this bill. 

We can agree to the bolded.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

The Metropolitan got $1bil by itself. $15bil went to "Save our Stages".  As one Tweet I saw stated "so, American citizens get $600. That or one ticket to an event at the Met".  I too think that overall they are worthwhile entities, but absolutely disagree that they would be included at this time/in this bill. 

These are employers. Why shouldn't they get the same relief as other small businesses?

• Haha 2
48 minutes ago, knapplc said:

These are employers. Why shouldn't they get the same relief as other small businesses?

I have no problem if they get the same relief as other employers. Did Sheldon MoNA in Lincoln get $1bil earmarked? Did the Lincoln Railyard complex of businesses get $15bil earmarked? 

We both know the answer. 

1 minute ago, DevoHusker said:

I have no problem if they get the same relief as other employers. Did Sheldon MoNA in Lincoln get $1bil earmarked? Did the Lincoln Railyard complex of businesses get $15bil earmarked? 

We both know the answer. 

Which entity got $1 billion?

15 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Which entity got $1 billion?

Well, now I am not sure. I thought I read earlier that Met got $900mil, but now I can't find it. It may have been in reference to their cut of the initial stimulus back in March.

The $15bil for "save our stages" is valid.

9 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Well, now I am not sure. I thought I read earlier that Met got $900mil, but now I can't find it. It may have been in reference to their cut of the initial stimulus back in March.

The $15bil for "save our stages" is valid.

Save our Stages is a bipartisan effort between John Cornyn & Amy Klobuchar. There were 57 Senators and 200 House members who signed on. Across the aisle. 

I'm not seeing why this is being singled out as a bad thing. It's a loan system similar to PPP where small businesses - specifically concert venues & movie theaters & other entertainment venues. They apply for relief and it's doled out on an as-needed basis. 

• Plus1 1
36 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Save our Stages is a bipartisan effort between John Cornyn & Amy Klobuchar. There were 57 Senators and 200 House members who signed on. Across the aisle. 

I'm not seeing why this is being singled out as a bad thing. It's a loan system similar to PPP where small businesses - specifically concert venues & movie theaters & other entertainment venues. They apply for relief and it's doled out on an as-needed basis. 

You're right, I should view it from the relief to their employees standpoint, and not from the relief to the entity itself.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

Has anyone added up all the foreign aid in this bill?? Maybe, just maybe, 2020 would be the one year to tell all those countries that their billions, hundred millions, millions whatever...will be better spent on the American people.

That would be nice.  However politicians don’t like us. We are just the necessary evil to get them into power so they can get global approval 

• Plus1 1