The Republican Utopia

19 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Interesting you come to the defense of someone who killed another person.  Priorities I guess:dunno

That's not interesting at all, and frankly, is pretty pathetic to use it as a weapon (no pun intended) to make a point in an online argument.

In all honesty, someone(s) had to have really, really f#&%ed up on set for this to happen. I work in the film industry and gun safety on production is the most serious and dedicated thing you can possibly imagine, with layers and layers and layers of redundant safeguards. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

That's not interesting at all, and frankly, is pretty pathetic to use it as a weapon (no pun intended) to make a point in an online argument

I agree, his cancel culture argument didn’t fit at all in this situation.  

Since you are in the film industry, since Baldwin is a Producer, does that put him in added exposure (obviously civilly he will get hammered, but criminally for negligence)

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I agree, his cancel culture argument didn’t fit at all in this situation.  

Since you are in the film industry, since Baldwin is a Producer, does that put him in added exposure (obviously civilly he will get hammered, but criminally for negligence)

If republican folks are trying to cancel him because of his political convictions, using this incident as an excuse to do so, as the tweet suggested, then that does fit in this thread.

As far as Baldwin, I don't know, I'm not a lawyer or well-informed on the law. Surely the production company could be found liable if the family decided to file a civil suit, especially with reports of people quitting/complaining about unsafe work conditions before this incident. The armorer and the 1st AD are the two individuals most vulnerable to criminal prosecution as far as I can tell - the AD is the one who declared the gun cold and handed it to Baldwin, which is how you're supposed to do it, but obviously with several checks of the gun in fact being cold involved.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

If republican folks are trying to cancel him because of his political convictions, using this incident as an excuse to do so, as the tweet suggested, then that does fit in this thread.

As far as Baldwin, I don't know, I'm not a lawyer or well-informed on the law. Surely the production company could be found liable if the family decided to file a civil suit, especially with reports of people quitting/complaining about unsafe work conditions before this incident. The armorer and the 1st AD are the two individuals most vulnerable to criminal prosecution as far as I can tell - the AD is the one who declared the gun cold and handed it to Baldwin, which is how you're supposed to do it, but obviously with several checks of the gun in fact being cold involved.

I had read quotes from actors that you are not supposed to aim a prop gun at anyone when firing.  And that camera folks should have a plexiglas type barrier of gun is pointed in their vicinity.  Does this sound right to you?

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

I had read quotes from actors that you are not supposed to aim a prop gun at anyone when firing.  And that camera folks should have a plexiglas type barrier of gun is pointed in their vicinity.  Does this sound right to you?

The second part is sometimes true, the first is ideally the case but not standard practice at all.

Big budget movies, if a gun is being pointed at a camera, will occasionally have that camera be operated remotely so nobody is standing close to the line of fire. That's a big minority of situations though - usually, the DP (if the shot needs to be close enough for a blank to be dangerous, within ~5-6 feet) will have goggles, a visor, and *sometimes* a shield. I've been the cinematographer on set for a short film involving firing blanks close to the camera - the actor improv'd on one scene and emptied out all the chambers walking closer and closer to me screaming. Had to change my underwear after that one :lol:

Also, when done right, the blanks are not loaded until the very last second before rolling. This scenario was different, though, because it wasn't even a live take it was a blocking rehearsal, which might account for those things not being in place. 

Side note, I haven't read if it was a blank or a legitimate live round. If it was the latter, the armorer should never be allowed to work again honestly - no reason in any scenario ever for a live round to be on a movie set. 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yep.  Then your comment makes no sense. 

Only to those with blinders on.  

Drunk driving deaths are also accidents and something that is not intended to happen either. 

Baldwin, from what I understand is an executive producer on the film plus the lead actor, with years and years of experience, on a low budget film that seemed to have safety issues.  Maybe he should have spoke up a bit.  Or maybe he was part of the issue in pressing things to get done at the expense of safety.  The investigation will eventually let us all know.  

Baldwin is an homophobic a$$ on twitter to anyone who he dislikes.   Not to mention an a$$ as a father as noted by the lively VM’s from years ago.  He deserves whatever scorn he gets. 

• Fire 1