The Republican Utopia

12 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yes, it's a national problem.  One way to look at it is that you're just as unsafe living in Alabama as you are a place Illinois that includes Chicago.

Ha...go walk in the worst parts of Chicago at night and the worst parts of Bama at night...report back!  

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

9 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

No you can’t look at it that way.  You are safer living in Naperville than in parts of Birmingham.   You are safer living in small town Alabama than in South side Chicago.  Depends on where you live.  

That's kind of what I said.  But, the average person would think living anywhere in Alabama is safer than Chicago.  But, reality is, if you live in a bad area of Alabama, it's no different than living in a bad area of Chicago.  On the flip side, if you live in a different area of Chicago, you're just as safe as living in a different area of Alabama.

Most people don't recognize this.  

I just had a conversation with a guy I know who is from small town Nebraska.  He was talking about how he traveled to Chicago once and felt so unsafe.  Well, unless you're in a bad area of Chicago, the vast majority of it is pretty safe.

• Plus1 3
6 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Go walk in the worst part of Birmingham at night and report back

Why just the one city?  

Interesting.  

Sounds like you agree with me but feel like you can't admit it.

What is it like 800 murders in Chicago last year and what, 200 in the Birm?

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
21 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Why just the one city?  

Interesting.  

Sounds like you agree with me but feel like you can't admit it.

What is it like 800 murders in Chicago last year and what, 200 in the Birm?

This shows three cities in Alabama with higher murder rates than Chicago.  Birmingham comes in at number three in the country while Chicago is in at 28.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/pictures/murder-map-deadliest-u-s-cities/

You do understand per capita right?

• Plus1 2

7 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

This shows three cities in Alabama with higher murder rates than Chicago.  Birmingham comes in at number three in the country while Chicago is in at 28.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/pictures/murder-map-deadliest-u-s-cities/

Per capita doesn’t mean anything as it was just discussed.   Majority of murders in a city are concentrated to small areas.  

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

Per capita doesn’t mean anything as it was just discussed.   Majority of murders in a city are concentrated to small areas.  

Per capita does mean something.  The bad areas of a city in Alabama is going to be smaller than the bad areas of Chicago.  So, it still applies.

18 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

That is the stupidest way to look at murders and you know it!

Imagine a town of two...and one kills the other.  Think of the murder rate per capita!

I look at it like these.   Murder sucks and more people getting murdered sucks more!  Not the % of but the number of people getting killed.  

Be totally honest, what do you think is worse.  800 dead citizens or 200 dead?

• Plus1 4

11 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Per capita does mean something.  The bad areas of a city in Alabama is going to be smaller than the bad areas of Chicago.  So, it still applies.

No...more dead people is worse than less dead people.  If you are a normal person you agree with that.  you are a normal person so you agree with that.

• Plus1 4
2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

No...more dead people is worse than less dead people.  If you are a normal person you agree with that.  you are a normal person so you agree with that.

If 1 out of 1000 people get killed.  It doesn't matter if I'm standing in a crowd of 10,000 people or 1,000 people.  My chances of getting murdered are the same even though one group has more dead people.

• Plus1 3
5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

If 1 out of 1000 people get killed.  It doesn't matter if I'm standing in a crowd of 10,000 people or 1,000 people.  My chances of getting murdered are the same even though one group has more dead people.

Haha!

Dude, come on.  In your mind what is worse.  1 dead person or 1,000 dead people?

Stop trying to make human life a statistic.  

• Plus1 3