The Republican Utopia

38 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Haha!

Dude, come on.  In your mind what is worse.  1 dead person or 1,000 dead people?

Stop trying to make human life a statistic.  

Uhm, per capita is the only statistic that makes sense in your attempt to use statistics to measure human life. 

Let's let Las Vegas weigh in.

Do you prefer 5:1 odds or 100:20 odds? 

• Plus1 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Per capita doesn’t mean anything as it was just discussed.   Majority of murders in a city are concentrated to small areas.  

Where the colored folk live. Yes, we got that point. 

We just need to remember when discussing this complex problem that Chicago! Chicago Chicago!

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
3 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Uhm, per capita is the only statistic that makes sense in your attempt to use statistics to measure human life. 

Let's let Las Vegas weigh in.

Do you prefer 5:1 odds or 100:20 odds? 

No...

2 dead is worse than 1 dead.

This is life we are talking about.  

The loss of human life is horrible when it is murder.  More dead is worse.  You know it and I know it.

• Plus1 1
45 minutes ago, teachercd said:

No, it is about human life being lost

The fact that you can't answer my very simple question is the part that sort of sucks.

Obviously 1 person dead is better than 1000.  But, when looking at the problem claiming bad areas of Chicago is worse than bad areas of Alabama is not looking at the problem objectively.  

• Plus1 4
2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Obviously 1 person dead is better than 1000.  But, when looking at the problem claiming bad areas of Chicago is worse than bad areas of Alabama is not looking at the problem objectively.  

I would say less worse but...

I think we are getting to the point where you are agreeing with me, so I appreciate that.

Less people killed is better.  I think we can all agree.

• Plus1 1

8 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I would say less worse but...

I think we are getting to the point where you are agreeing with me, so I appreciate that.

Less people killed is better.  I think we can all agree.

I've never disagreed with that.

But, you're trying to make an argument that wasn't being made.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, teachercd said:

No...

2 dead is worse than 1 dead.

This is life we are talking about.  

The loss of human life is horrible when it is murder.  More dead is worse.  You know it and I know it.

JFC. The only point of this topic is a Red State/Blue State argument that counters the attempt by Republicans to paint Democrats as crime happy by trotting out Blue State stats. When in fact by the same metric, Red States are typically worse. Want go just Urban?  Dallas and San Francisco have the same violent crime rate,. Chicago is a nightmare, but there are hundreds of less vilified zip codes you wouldn't want to walk through, either. And being who you are, of course you don't have to. 

The OP doesn't go nearly far enough. Throw in pretty much any metric we might use to measure quality of life or morality. Teen pregnancy? Divorce rate? Drug use? Domestic violence? Red States rule. Who takes more from the federal government and produces less? That's Red States in a landslide. Who is no better at fighting crime despite all their partisan bleating? You get the point.

What's both sad and funny is this yearning for a bygone America where you could leave your doors unlocked, children played in the streets, and you weren't afraid to go out at night. If you look at the actual facts, violent crime, burglary, and child abductions are no worse and often better than they were 50 years ago. 

It's up to us to be smarter, happier, and less whiny, but we're doing an awful job of it. Fear sells. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

That is the stupidest way to look at murders and you know it!

Imagine a town of two...and one kills the other.  Think of the murder rate per capita!

I look at it like these.   Murder sucks and more people getting murdered sucks more!  Not the % of but the number of people getting killed.  

Be totally honest, what do you think is worse.  800 dead citizens or 200 dead?

How do you say you don't understand per capita without saying you don't understand per capita.  

If a country of one billion has 900 murders per year is it more dangerous than Chicago at 800?  You have to be a gym teacher right?  

I really don't care either way.  I just want you to go walking through Birmingham Alabama alone at night. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

How do you say you don't understand per capita without saying you don't understand per capita.  

If a country of one billion has 900 murders per year is it more dangerous than Chicago at 800?  You have to be a gym teacher right?  

I really don't care either way.  I just want you to go walking through Birmingham Alabama alone at night. 

Which is worse, more murders or less murders.  Just answer that.  That is all you have to do.

Which one is worse.

7 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

JFC. The only point of this topic is a Red State/Blue State argument that counters the attempt by Republicans to paint Democrats as crime happy by trotting out Blue State stats. When in fact by the same metric, Red States are typically worse. Want go just Urban?  Dallas and San Francisco have the same violent crime rate,. Chicago is a nightmare, but there are hundreds of less vilified zip codes you wouldn't want to walk through, either. And being who you are, of course you don't have to. 

The OP doesn't go nearly far enough. Throw in pretty much any metric we might use to measure quality of life or morality. Teen pregnancy? Divorce rate? Drug use? Domestic violence? Red States rule. Who takes more from the federal government and produces less? That's Red States in a landslide. Who is no better at fighting crime despite all their partisan bleating? You get the point.

What's both sad and funny is this yearning for a bygone America where you could leave your doors unlocked, children played in the streets, and you weren't afraid to go out at night. If you look at the actual facts, violent crime, burglary, and child abductions are no worse and often better than they were 50 years ago. 

It's up to us to be smarter, happier, and less whiny, but we're doing an awful job of it. Fear sells. 

I don't give a f#&% about red/blue.

Neither do those families of the people that were murdered.  

• Plus1 4

2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Which is worse, more murders or less murders.  Just answer that.  That is all you have to do.

Which one is worse.

I don't give a f#&% about red/blue.

Neither do those families of the people that were murdered.  

Nobody, and by that I mean a statistical zero, thinks more murders are better than less murders.

But I don't see how any of that applies to the discussion being offered. 

• Plus1 5
Just now, Guy Chamberlin said:

Nobody, and by that I mean a statistical zero, thinks more murders are better than less murders.

But I don't see how any of that applies to the discussion being offered. 

Well, like Ted Bundy might think more murders are better...but

I know you don't see it, that is okay.  

• Plus1 1