The Republican Utopia

I'm posting this here because every time I see someone complaining about Welfare, it's a staunch Republican.

My cousin posted an anti Welfare recipient meme. So I looked up farm subsidies to see how much Nebraska gets. Turns out you can look up individuals.

Not going to post the exact amounts, but this particular cousin's family has received over $15,000 per year for the past 11 years. My other cousin who also complains about welfare has received over $27,000 per year since 1995 (this is $12.98/hour at 40 hours/week). I'm not saying I'm against keeping farmers afloat, since it's pretty damn important that we have farmers keep their farms, because they are experts, and we could have a drought at any time.

But they shouldn't complain about welfare and hand outs. That's 100% what a farm subsidy is. It's a hand out. They never have to pay it back. People who accept welfare aren't bad people and I'm not saying my cousins are bad people for receiving this $. But they should quit badmouthing people on welfare or send the money back. They may be hard workers but they didn't earn this extra $ anymore than welfare recipients earned theirs.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 5

Farmers. Listening to them they claim to have the hardest job in the world, like they are performing some noble deed because no one else cares enough to feed the world, and have the gall to act like they are paid peanuts. They've been handed everything in life, earning a comfortable living because they inherited a piece of land, and are prime candidates to spew racially charged opinions on welfare while continuously collecting handouts themselves.

I know it's bad to stereotype, but farmers get on my nerves. I grew up on a farm and have been around way too many people with arrogant pride based solely on owning land.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, mrandyk said:

Farmers. Listening to them they claim to have the hardest job in the world, like they are performing some noble deed because no one else cares enough to feed the world, and have the gall to act like they are paid peanuts. They've been handed everything in life, earning a comfortable living because they inherited a piece of land, and are prime candidates to spew racially charged opinions on welfare while continuously collecting handouts themselves.

I know it's bad to stereotype, but farmers get on my nerves. I grew up on a farm and have been around way too many people with arrogant pride based solely on owning land.

Can't wait to see how this "lead balloon" goes.....:snacks:

46 minutes ago, mrandyk said:

Yeah, look at all those farmers living under the poverty line.

I don't disagree with your premise.  But I know several farming families, including members of my family, that don't have a pot to piss in.  And if they do, it is because they are working other full time jobs on top of farming.

Farming is becoming a situation of "haves" and "have nots".  There are still a lot of the "have nots" out there that haven't been bought up by the "haves".

Most farmers receive off-farm income, but small-scale operators depend on it

Median total household income among all farm households ($76,250) exceeded the median for all U.S. households ($59,039) in 2016. Slightly more than half of U.S. farms are very small, with annual farm sales under $10,000; the households operating these farms typically rely on off-farm sources for the majority of their household income. Median household income and income from farming increase with farm size; the typical household operating the largest commercial farms earned $365,069 in 2016, and most of that came from farming.

1 hour ago, funhusker said:
Most farmers receive off-farm income, but small-scale operators depend on it

Median total household income among all farm households ($76,250) exceeded the median for all U.S. households ($59,039) in 2016. Slightly more than half of U.S. farms are very small, with annual farm sales under $10,000; the households operating these farms typically rely on off-farm sources for the majority of their household income. Median household income and income from farming increase with farm size; the typical household operating the largest commercial farms earned $365,069 in 2016, and most of that came from farming.

I'm not sure whether the above makes your point for you.

I'm guessing 90% of farming is done by men and I'm guessing a lot of them now have wives who work at the nearest town (that's the way it is for the dozen+ cousins I have who farm). But the same can be said for pretty much every family in America. Instead of the wife cooking and cleaning and taking care of the kids they have jobs.

Also, I'm pretty ignorant about farming. If you don't have livestock, how many hours/wk do you work during the winter and how long is the winter? If you do have livestock, how much time is spent on them?

Edited by Moiraine
2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I'm not sure whether the above makes your point for you.

I'm guessing 90% of farming is done by men and I'm guessing a lot of them now have wives who work at the nearest town (that's the way it is for the dozen+ cousins I have who farm). But the same can be said for pretty much every family in America. Instead of the wife cooking and cleaning and taking care of the kids they have jobs.

Also, I'm pretty ignorant about farming. If you don't have livestock, how many hours/wk do you work during the winter and how long is the winter? If you do have livestock, how much time is spent on them?

My point was farmers aren't sitting around getting rich from farming and inheriting land.  Some are, yes.  But most most farmers don't make enough to make ends meet by farming alone.

1 hour ago, funhusker said:

My point was farmers aren't sitting around getting rich from farming and inheriting land.  Some are, yes.  But most most farmers don't make enough to make ends meet by farming alone.

I don't think anyone has made the claim that their household income came solely from farming, and having more than one source of income in a household doesn't set farmers apart from other households.

31 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I don't think anyone has made the claim that their household income came solely from farming, and having more than one source of income in a household doesn't set farmers apart from other households.

mrandyk said:  ......They've been handed everything in life, earning a comfortable living because they inherited a piece of land....

Maybe I misunderstood? :dunno

Edited by funhusker

How is a guy like Dinesh not pushed to the absolute margins of our society and made a pariah? How do you do things like call women horse-faced (I recognize this is not a conservative quality only) and still have an audience? Get the eff outta here, Dinesh.

• Plus1 1