The Republican Utopia

10 hours ago, funhusker said:

I don’t disagree with him at all.  There are a lot of kids out there that are completely messed up because mommy and daddy let them do and get whatever they want.

I have said it and I am sure you have as well...kids have not "changed" over the years...parents have.

Are hairstyles and nail polish a big deal?  Probably not, not for the most part...but is listening and accepting "no" for an answer a big deal, yeah.

I have/had two students, one with 45 missed days of school and the other with 60.  Both called out "sick" by a parent.  Clearly never being told "no".

Little things become big things or can become big things.

When you let the word "a$$" get used by kids at home...it is only a matter of time until more "bad" words get used.

As a teacher, you see it everyday with your students and with how they act in your class compared to other classes.  What your expectations are compared to other teachers.  The students know it too, they know how they can act and what certain teachers will let them do or not do.  Same with parenting.  

I don't think Jim is so much "weighing in" on hair styles and nail polish as he is weighing in on parenting.  Is it his place?  Not really.

Is what he is saying still common sense and good parenting, teaching your kid(s) how to deal with the word "No", yes, it is.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 1
23 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I have said it and I am sure you have as well...kids have not "changed" over the years...parents have.

Are hairstyles and nail polish a big deal?  Probably not, not for the most part...but is listening and accepting "no" for an answer a big deal, yeah.

I have/had two students, one with 45 missed days of school and the other with 60.  Both called out "sick" by a parent.  Clearly never being told "no".

When you let the word "a$$" get used by kids at home...it is only a matter of time until more "bad" words get used.

As a teacher, you see it everyday with your students and with how they act in your class compared to other classes.  What your expectations are compared to other teachers.  The students know it too, they know how they can act and what certain teachers will let them do or not do.  Same with parenting.  

I don't think Jim is so much "weighing in" on hair styles and nail polish as he is weighing in on parenting.  Is it his place?  Not really.

Is what he is saying still common sense and good parenting, teaching your kid(s) how to deal with the word "No", yes, it is.

I completely agree.  But, there are so many other examples he could have used that would have made more of an impactful statement.

How about:

NO...you can't treat people like that.

NO...you can't skip school.

NO...you can't get something you haven't earned.

NO...you can't take things that don't belong to you.

NO...you can't disrespect your teachers.

NO....you can't go out with friends without getting your homework done.

No...you can't play video games till your chores are done.

No...you can't act like that in public.

NO...you can't treat other people's property that way.

Instead.....it's hairstyles and nail polish?  Give me a friggen break.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
13 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I completely agree.  But, there are so many other examples he could have used that would have made more of an impactful statement.

How about:

NO...you can't treat people like that.

NO...you can't skip school.

NO...you can't get something you haven't earned.

NO...you can't take things that don't belong to you.

NO...you can't disrespect your teachers.

NO....you can't go out with friends without getting your homework done.

No...you can't play video games till your chores are done.

No...you can't act like that in public.

NO...you can't treat other people's property that way.

Instead.....it's hairstyles and nail polish?  Give me a friggen break.

I agree with you 100%

The ones in bold, I think, still would have made the crazies lose it.  "What, he is trying to tell me how to raise my kid, if my kid wants to play with his friends before homework, that is my choice, blah blah blah"

We know that the nuts would have found issue with anything.

I think in the end we all agree on the actual message.  Also, I did not laugh at your message.  

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 3

38 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

To be fair to Ron DeSantis, the blame can't be on just him. 

Screwing over America's poor and most vulnerable in the name of 'fiscal responsibility' while simultaneously passing regressive tax cuts has been part of Conservatism for decades.

Of course the blame can't be just on him.  The state legislature has to pass a bill for him to sign.  However, he is the head of the party in that state.  He sets the tone for what he wants the legislature to do.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

4 hours ago, teachercd said:

• TBH 1