Immigration Ban

9 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

@Ric FlairA Little History Lesson

The United States was BUILT on immigration.  The very inscription on the Statue of Liberty states the core principles of the USA.  

And just for the record, white people (our ancestors) STOLE this land from the native people who previously lived here.  This is not liberal fantasy, this is historical fact.  If you steal something, it does not matter how long you possess it...it is never yours.

I have tried to give you the benefit of the doubt and thus far all you've shown me is racism and bigotry.  Please do not go for the trifecta of racism, bigotry, and homophobia.

I’m neither racist nor a bigot. When you call virtually everyone names like that, they lose any meaning. I’m happy to have immigrants come here. Immigration absolutely makes this country stronger. My ancestors were immigrants and I’m both happy and lucky they made their way here. I love immigrants. 

But here’s the thing...COME HERE LEGALLY.

I helped my church move a Honduran family into a house a couple of years ago and a Syrian family into a house last year. Both families were refugees fleeing violence. Both families were very nice, appreciative, and happy to be here. They will be awesome Americans, who will appreciate the opportunities this country offers.

And they CAME HERE LEGALLY.

Now please enlighten me about how I’m somehow racist and bigoted for my views. 

21 hours ago, funhusker said:

Neither does being 50 and only reading a few articles from a news outlet of choice.....which seems to cover a lot of the people I run into. These kids are just as entitled to an opinion as you or I. If you don't agree, that's fine; join the club with millions of others.  But my issue is people demeaning these kids and calling them clueless. I'm confident that they have compiled more knowledge on gun policy than most adults.

Apparently you haven’t bothered to listen to them. Did you hear them demanding that guns be seized or gun rights be severely limited? Then did you hear them whining about how rules requiring them to wear clear backpacks infringed on their rights...and were unfair, since they had nothing to do with the shooting?

Yeah, those kids are some real deep thinkers. :lol:

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

I’m neither racist nor a bigot. When you call virtually everyone names like that, they lose any meaning. I’m happy to have immigrants come here. Immigration absolutely makes this country stronger. My ancestors were immigrants and I’m both happy and lucky they made their way here. I love immigrants. 

I helped my church move a Honduran family into a house a couple of years ago and a Syrian family into a house last year. Both families were refugees fleeing violence. Both families were very nice, appreciative, and happy to be here. They will be awesome Americans, who will appreciate the opportunities this country offers.

I'd think as a Christian you'd want MORE of those types of families coming here to flee violence and corrupt governments.

Surely you don't support the current wave of zealots aiming to strongly curtail legal immigration, right? Did you think the Immigration Ban itself was a bad thing? Would you agree Trump's gross attacks on "asylum seekers" are morally repugnant?

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

I'd think as a Christian you'd want MORE of those types of families coming here to flee violence and corrupt governments.

Surely you don't support the current wave of zealots aiming to strongly curtail legal immigration, right? Did you think the Immigration Ban itself was a bad thing? Would you agree Trump's gross attacks on "asylum seekers" are morally repugnant?

The simple fact is that we can’t take in everyone who wants to come here. What person or family from a third-world country or violence torn region wouldn’t rather be here? So we have tough decisions to make.

Another simple fact is that everytime we let in a group of refugees, most of whom undergo very limited vetting, we take a risk that we’re letting in terrorists pretending to be refugees. So we have to be careful.

9 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

The simple fact is that we can’t take in everyone who wants to come here. What person or family from a third-world country or violence torn region wouldn’t rather be here? So we have tough decisions to make.

Another simple fact is that everytime we let in a group of refugees, most of whom undergo very limited vetting, we take a risk that we’re letting in terrorists pretending to be refugees. So we have to be careful.

Care to back up the claim that refugees undergo limited vetting?

• Plus1 1

43 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Well that's just not true.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/01/29/us/refugee-vetting-process.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2017/02/01/refugees-are-already-vigorously-vetted-i-know-because-i-vetted-them/?utm_term=.b78e7b44337c

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/11/vetting-refugees-trump/544430/

55 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

@Ric Flair, I want to apologize for calling/insinuating you were racist.  I have no proof of that and over-stepped.  So sorry about that.  Will try to stick to the facts and what I can prove in the future.

• Plus1 1
56 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Care to back up the claim that refugees undergo limited vetting?

Syria and many other Middle Eastern countries are failed states. So where do we go for reliable citizenship or identification papers? How do we know that the people applying for asylum or refugees status are who they say they are?

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Syria and many other Middle Eastern countries are failed states. So where do we go for reliable citizenship or identification papers? How do we know that the people applying for asylum or refugees status are who they say they are?

I asked you to provide evidence for you claim that most refugees undergo very limited vetting.

13 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I just explained to you why vetting...or even determining who someone really is...is in many cases impossible.

Read this: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/abraham-r-wagner/vetting-syrian-refugees-m_b_8593438.html

You're linking to another opinion piece. Where is the data, where are the description of the current processes? How many refugees have committed a terrorist act in the US since 9/11? Lack of documentation is a concern do you not think the US government does everything it can to ensure the security of it's citizens?

By the way here is an over view of the process, which you failed to read when RD posted it originally.

22 minutes ago, ZRod said:

You're linking to another opinion piece. Where is the data, where are the description of the current processes? How many refugees have committed a terrorist act in the US since 9/11? Lack of documentation is a concern do you not think the US government does everything it can to ensure the security of it's citizens?

By the way here is an over view of the process, which you failed to read when RD posted it originally.

I’m not sure what part of this is so difficult to understand. There is nothing to vet them against or identify them with. We can interview them. They can claim to be Mickey Mouse or Osama bin Laden. Either way, we have no objective data to prove otherwise. So the process is a joke.

30 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I’m not sure what part of this is so difficult to understand. There is nothing to vet them against or identify them with. We can interview them. They can claim to be Mickey Mouse or Osama bin Laden. Either way, we have no objective data to prove otherwise. So the process is a joke.

There is an interview with Homeland Security.  What questions do you think should be asked?  I'm guessing it is more than your name and intentions.....

This interview takes place after background checks.  Do you trust our military/CIA?

How should the US/ UN handle this differently?  I've also been part of relocating refugees (who really would not rather be here) and have never met anyone less than thankful, smiles, and just like other Nebraska families except for the broken English.  I know it isn't a reliable metric looking at "happiness", I know the people that have made it this far (Omaha area) are either genuinely grateful people, or the world's best actors..