Lee vs. POB

The Great Husker QB Battle of 2017  

154 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I personally just am looking forward to seeing a screen pass that is thrown where it is supposed to be. After the last 8 years of watching Martinez and Armstrong it will be a pleasant change.

True that. I will miss our RPO's in the quick game/ QB draw. That was pretty nasty with either working the moition to a 3x1 and taking the box look. But our quick game and screen game should make up for that.

I do think that if POB gets the nod he is athletic enough for this to still be a weapon for the offense. IF our passing game is much improved and it forces LB's to get out of the box and they aren't able to spy the QB POB is athletic enough to make the QB draw lethal
agreed.

I won't say he will be more effective than Tommy because for some reason Tommy was always great with the draw but in theory it should be more effective because as you are saying POB really adds a threat in the passing game Tommy couldn't.

You know Tommy is going to be at his best running but when you have a guy who the defense is preparing to beat them with the pass but then can also pull it down and run with it, that's deadly.

I love how solid and low-drama this competition is. I favor Tanner Lee partly just because his story reminds me of Zac Taylor's, and Zac was one of my favorite Husker players ever. Plus they both wear #13.

So that's a pretty high bar for POB to clear. Really glad to hear he's having a solid spring, though.

Why do I think they are going to turn the QB's into a bunch of Checkdown Charlies in this offense?

How do you get to that thought process from watching the clip in the tweet?

It's not watching the clip, it's the thought process of Langsdorf that is commented in the tweet.

When a coach is focusing more on limiting mistakes rather than making plays, it can hamper a QB's thought process. I know it's early, but there is a fine line between ensuring the QB making the right play and neutering him to where he's so afraid of making mistakes that he's not a "play maker" for the offense.

Why do I think they are going to turn the QB's into a bunch of Checkdown Charlies in this offense?

It's better than Yolo bombing. Especially if these QB's can actually hit the RB in the flat.

I'm not trying to defend the YOLO bombing, because that was not good. But hitting the RB in the flat for a 4 yard gain doesn't do any good on a 3rd and 7 play.

It's not watching the clip, it's the thought process of Langsdorf that is commented in the tweet.

When a coach is focusing more on limiting mistakes rather than making plays, it can hamper a QB's thought process. I know it's early, but there is a fine line between ensuring the QB making the right play and neutering him to where he's so afraid of making mistakes that he's not a "play maker" for the offense.

You're right. And, you seem to have jumped way out into "neutering him" for no apparent reason.

• Fire 1

OH NO! Fire Diaco? JK!! I really hope to see some passes were I dont hold my breathe everytime we throw the ball.

Diaco sucks, who can we steal?

Well, that didn't take long. :facepalm:

Come on Wade, you're better than that.

That wasn't maximum effort.

s-l1000.jpg

A QB's thought process needs to be about taking what's there and not forcing it. His entire job is to take care of the ball, play within the offense, and be smart. The "playmaking" is done in play design. I hate to go all Jon Gruden Spider 3 Y Banana, but...well, actually, I love it. :D:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a20YDM8xb3M?t=1m45s

Yeah there's such a thing as checking down too often, but I'm not worried about that with Langsdorf's coaching or his remarks. He's saying the right things.

(I know the FB is the #1 on this play, but it gets the point about playing within the design and doing what you're supposed to in order to avoid a bad play. I don't think avoiding bad plays == take the checkdown always. But sure, if there's pressure and you don't have a good look at #1, use the checkdown, give your RB a chance, and keep the clock running while setting up better field position is better than throwing a pick.)

You're right. And, you seem to have jumped way out into "neutering him" for no apparent reason.

Eh, I wouldn't say it's for no reason. If you read comments from Langs over the last week, he brings something like this up almost all the time. Not making a bad play, short quick throws, etc. Riley has made some of the same comments.

So I think ColoradoHusk is correct in saying there's a fine line. And I think it's fair to wonder how that will look. Even some of the media guys were commenting on it in this last week, bringing up Sam Keller as Checkdown Charlie and how it led to Lucky being the leading receiver on the team.

We need to move more in that direction with our QB play. But you don't want to go too far either.