Lee vs. POB

The Great Husker QB Battle of 2017  

154 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2013 - All three QBs that played that year were not good at the passing part of the game they were being asked to do. And...again we had an OC who had spent his time as the passing game coordinator trying to coach players who were more adept at running the ball.

Beck was also the running backs coach before being promoted to QB, and they didn't run an air-raid at KU. He's also the guy who recruited Armstrong, so... that doesn't really make sense.

Sorry, I won't agree with that.

Armstrong has constantly been asked to make plays and be more of a passing QB than using his legs. I'm not necessarily saying Beck was calling too many passing plays..etc. I'm saying Armstrong was never going to be the type of QB Beck needed....even though he recruited him.

There was always a struggle between what the OC wanted and what Armstrong was able to do.

2013 - All three QBs that played that year were not good at the passing part of the game they were being asked to do. And...again we had an OC who had spent his time as the passing game coordinator trying to coach players who were more adept at running the ball.

Beck was also the running backs coach before being promoted to QB, and they didn't run an air-raid at KU. He's also the guy who recruited Armstrong, so... that doesn't really make sense.

The only part that makes sense is Beck saying, 'no comment' when asked by reporters if he had ever been able to run the offense he really wanted to run under Pelini.

• Fire 1

Armstrong has constantly been asked to make plays and be more of a passing QB than using his legs. I'm not necessarily saying Beck was calling too many passing plays..etc. I'm saying Armstrong was never going to be the type of QB Beck needed....even though he recruited him.

There was always a struggle between what the OC wanted and what Armstrong was able to do.

You don't have to agree. Just look at the QB's he recruited. Tommy Armstrong, Jamal Turner, Bubba Starling, Johnny Stanton, AJ Bush, etc...

That's what he recruited. None of those guys were what I'd call good passers.

That's on Beck.

• Fire 2

The only part that makes sense is Beck saying, 'no comment' when asked by reporters if he had ever been able to run the offense he really wanted to run under Pelini.

I've always understood that to mean he couldn't run tempo like he did against USC in the bowl game.

You don't have to agree. Just look at the QB's he recruited. Tommy Armstrong, Jamal Turner, Bubba Starling, Johnny Stanton, AJ Bush, etc...

That's on Beck.

I'm not saying anything that disagrees with that.

Everything I can find on Lee's broken finger seems to indicate he missed 4 games, then he tried to play through the pain for 1 game, then he sat out the season finale. So I'm not sure how much that explains away the data we do have.

I don't want to make it seem like injuries are the only reason his stats were below average, but I don't think you're giving them fair credit.

In 2015, he played four games, sustained a concussion against Temple, missed the Houston game, broke a throwing hand finger against Navy, missed the following game and then tried to play out the rest of the season. His stats plummeted to a 39.6% completion percentage on 36/91 passing his final three games because of the finger. That particular injury is incredibly difficult to manage as a quarterback. Would a calligrapher be able to maintain their abilities with a broken finger? Unlikely.

Lee very well may be an average quarterback but I don't think his previous stats tell us much at all given his youth, injuries and the competition. They certainly shouldn't be used against him or rendered mostly irrelevant as your tone suggests.

Actually I'd be perfectly willing to disregard those 91 passes altogether and adjust the stats accordingly. I think that's more than fair.

That would make him a 56% career passer, but still with a 1:1 TD/INT ratio. Not yet sure how much it would affect his Y/A average, but his rushing yards would still be in the red.

That's on Beck.

A real "Who's not" list of QB's. Yeesh.

Tanner Lee was a below average college quarterback at Tulane. Simple statement of fact. There may be extenuating circumstances that contributed to that, but he was below average just the same.

The only disingenuous thing is to say he was good at Tulane, when he clearly wasn't.

As much flack as Armstrong got for being a 53% passer, imagine if he threw as many picks as he did touchdowns, averaged nearly 2 yards yards less per pass attempt, and couldn't run.

Everything I can find on Lee's broken finger seems to indicate he missed 4 games, then he tried to play through the pain for 1 game, then he sat out the season finale. So I'm not sure how much that explains away the data we do have.

I'm willing to give him a chance if he wins the job. Sounds like you aren't. That's fun.

You're certainly free to believe that if you want. If it counts for anything I've explicitly said, in this very thread, I'm going with the wait and see approach for whoever is named the starter.

• Fire 1

Tanner Lee was a below average college quarterback at Tulane. Simple statement of fact. There may be extenuating circumstances that contributed to that, but he was below average just the same.

The only disingenuous thing is to say he was good at Tulane, when he clearly wasn't.

As much flack as Armstrong got for being a 53% passer, imagine if he threw as many picks as he did touchdowns, averaged nearly 2 yards yards less per pass attempt, and couldn't run.

Actually, he was absolutely average coming in at 74 out of 128 QB's in 2015: http://www.cfbstats.com/2015/leader/national/player/split01/category02/sort01.html

and he was 72 out of 128 in 2014: http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/leader/national/player/split01/category02/sort01.html

So where you get this 'below average' crap is beyond me.

Yards per game is fairly useless as it doesn't account for how many attempts it took to gain those yards. Yards per attempt is far more useful. Recheck under yards per attempt and it may help with your bewilderment.

Also, it's not crap. You may not feel comfortable being confronted with it, but that doesn't make it crap.

• Fire 2

Bottom line is be happy with whoever wins. People improve themselves and their situation all the time...there is always the potential to improve.

Remember too that Russel Wilson at NC State was not the same Russel Wilson at Wisconsin...he got a great line and a good RB threat and suddenly play action blew up. Then shots down field started happening and Wisconsin went as far as he would take them.

I'm not saying Lee is Wilson...I'm saying Lee will improve..that's it. If he wins it...HE WILL IMPROVE over what he did at Tulane...just having a decent line in front of him that can pass block enough. As I've posted in the past:

He's getting a major upgrade for receivers he is throwing to and that should bump his completion % pretty far up. Compare Tulane's Individual Receiving % of 2015 with Nebraska's for reference: Tulane: http://www.footballs...istical-profile

Nebraska: http://www.footballs...istical-profile

He won't be behind by 3 TD's trying to come and win by passing all the time (2014 Rutgers beat them by double digits)

He won't be getting sacked 25 times each year like he did at Tulane because he'll have an upgraded OL. Nebraska won't allow 70-80 tackles for loss like Tulane did.

He also won't be a redshirt freshman/sphomore starting here like he was at Tulane and he'll have an entire year of playbook study and practices here at Nebraska

He won't be injured for most of second season here at Nebraska like he was at Tulane...he played 4 games with fractured fingers on his throwing hand during which he completed 39% of his passes...which definitely lowers the overal %.

He was also considered a Top QB in the Nation by the Manning Passing Academy...Tommy wasn't invited until his senior year: http://247sports.com...cademy-38153689

If you can look at all those things above and just ignore them and think that he won't make a major improvement/jump...then you may want to call a doctor and get things checked out. Anyone can see that he's going to have a chance to be a lot better here than he was there.

What should you think of POB? That he can learn from a poised, older QB who has faced college competition before...something POB hasn't done. If you give up on POB just because Lee wins the competition, you should probably stop watching football.

I agree with pretty much every word of this. The more important question to me isn't if he'll look better, it's will he directly make Nebraska better?

That I'm far more skeptical of, but we'll have to wait and see.

I'll be happy for him if he earns the job. Fantastic opportunity.

• Fire 1

I'm hoping the coach who made something out of Jonathon Smith, Matt Moore, Derek Anderson and Sean Mannion knows a decent quarterback when he sees one and can make something out of Lee.

I'll give Riley the benefit of the doubt until Lee proves me wrong. I'm hopeful.

• Fire 2