Lee vs. POB

The Great Husker QB Battle of 2017  

154 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Tanner Lee was a below average college quarterback at Tulane. Simple statement of fact. There may be extenuating circumstances that contributed to that, but he was below average just the same.

The only disingenuous thing is to say he was good at Tulane, when he clearly wasn't.

As much flack as Armstrong got for being a 53% passer, imagine if he threw as many picks as he did touchdowns, averaged nearly 2 yards yards less per pass attempt, and couldn't run.

Everything I can find on Lee's broken finger seems to indicate he missed 4 games, then he tried to play through the pain for 1 game, then he sat out the season finale. So I'm not sure how much that explains away the data we do have.

• Fire 3

Tanner Lee was a below average college quarterback at Tulane. Simple statement of fact. There may be extenuating circumstances that contributed to that, but he was below average just the same.

The only disingenuous thing is to say he was good at Tulane, when he clearly wasn't.

As much flack as Armstrong got for being a 53% passer, imagine if he threw as many picks as he did touchdowns, averaged nearly 2 yards yards less per pass attempt, and couldn't run.

Everything I can find on Lee's broken finger seems to indicate he missed 4 games, then he tried to play through the pain for 1 game, then he sat out the season finale. So I'm not sure how much that explains away the data we do have.

I'm willing to give him a chance if he wins the job. Sounds like you aren't. That's fun.

I'm pretty sure everyone will give him a chance. But many Husker fans have been playing the "new guy at QB is the savior" song for 16 years now. Until it actually happens, the odds are that it won't.

Hammer, meet nail.

I don't want to make it seem like injuries are the only reason his stats were below average, but I don't think you're giving them fair credit.

In 2015, he played four games, sustained a concussion against Temple, missed the Houston game, broke a throwing hand finger against Navy, missed the following game and then tried to play out the rest of the season. His stats plummeted to a 39.6% completion percentage on 36/91 passing his final three games because of the finger. That particular injury is incredibly difficult to manage as a quarterback. Would a calligrapher be able to maintain their abilities with a broken finger? Unlikely.

Lee very well may be an average quarterback but I don't think his previous stats tell us much at all given his youth, injuries and the competition. They certainly shouldn't be used against him or rendered mostly irrelevant as your tone suggests.

How many years since Solich was fired have we had an actual QB that was recruited for an offense that was being ran by an OC that fully believed in and knew the style of offense we were trying to run?

2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014

2005 yes Zack Taylor, Callahan/Norvell

2006 yes Z Taylor, Callahan/Norvell

2007 yes Sam Keller, Watson

2008 yes Joe Ganz, Watson

2009 No Zac Lee, Watson (was being forced to run offense he didn't want/know or believe in)

2013 No Kellog/Armstrong/TMart, Beck (was forced to learn new system he didn't believe in while Armstrong was being asked to make plays he couldn't)

2014 No Armstrong, Beck (was forced to learn new system he didn't believe in while Armstrong was being asked to make plays he couldn't)

So, in my opinion, only during the Callahan years (4 years) out of 13 have we had an OC and a stable of QBs who are all built for the same type of system.

Interestingly, during those years, our offensive ranking was:

Total yards

2005 93rd

2006 15th

2007 9th

2008 12th

Scoring

2005 65th

2006 26th

2007 23rd

2008 17th

I'm looking forward to having QBs and OCs on the same page in a system that they are made for.

Lee might not be the answer...but then we have POB....POB might not be the answer....but then we have Gebbia....etc.

How many years since Solich was fired have we had an actual QB that was recruited for an offense that was being ran by an OC that fully believed in and knew the style of offense we were trying to run?

2009 No Zac Lee, Watson (was being forced to run offense he didn't want/know or believe in)

2013 No Kellog/Armstrong/TMart, Beck (was forced to learn new system he didn't believe in while Armstrong was being asked to make plays he couldn't)

2014 No Armstrong, Beck (was forced to learn new system he didn't believe in while Armstrong was being asked to make plays he couldn't)

So, in my opinion, only during the Callahan years (4 years) out of 13 have we had an OC and a stable of QBs who are all built for the same type of system.

Total yards

2005 93rd

2006 15th

2007 9th

2008 12th

Scoring

2005 65th

2006 26th

2007 23rd

2008 17th

I'm looking forward to having QBs and OCs on the same page in a system that they are made for.

Lee might not be the answer...but then we have POB....POB might not be the answer....but then we have Gebbia....etc.

2009, Zac Lee was recruited to run Watson's WCO. He was hurt, and so was the rest of the offense, but he was recruited by that OC to run that offense as he wanted it. It wasn't until 2010 that Bo forced Watson to change identities to a zone-read game.

2013 I guess you can argue due to injury to Martinez, but at least for 2014, maybe 2013 too, the question was years where the quarterback was recruited to run that offense instead of someone else's (Beck recruited Armstrong), being run by the OC in a way that they believed in it, where the quarterback "knew" the style (our 2014 offense was pretty efficient for the most part, and was vintage Beck).

• Fire 1

I went to school at UConn and watch every game. I know the American Athletic Conference inside and out.

Tulane has been the worst team in the conference since it formed. Literally atrocious. The AAC is the best G5 league and Tulane had one of the worst staffs and teams in C-USA before making the step UP to the American. Remember, this is a league that had a CFP contender last year and has had multiple 10 win teams that have beaten P5 teams with regularity. Teams like Temple, Memphis, Houston, Navy, and USF are extremely competitive.

The American Athletic Conference sent as many players to the NFL combine this year as the Big XII did. There is talent in this league. It just doesn't reside in NOLA for the most part. Their division (Memphis, Houston, Tulsa, Tulane, SMU, Navy) is infinitely more talented than them. They are going to improve under now second year coach Dannen (sp?) but it will take time. Tanner was the lone bright spot on their team. The O-Line was HORRIFIC. You simply can't make a final judgement on Taylor from his stats at Tulane. The coaches were awful, the skill players were horrible, and the O Line was putrid. Oh and the D couldn't stop a 5th grade PAL league team.

• Fire 1

Total yards

2005 93rd

2006 15th

2007 9th

2008 12th

Scoring

2005 65th

2006 26th

2007 23rd

2008 17th

2009, Zac Lee was recruited to run Watson's WCO. He was hurt, and so was the rest of the offense, but he was recruited by that OC to run that offense as he wanted it. It wasn't until 2010 that Bo forced Watson to change identities to a zone-read game.

2013 I guess you can argue due to injury to Martinez, but at least for 2014, maybe 2013 too, the question was years where the quarterback was recruited to run that offense instead of someone else's (Beck recruited Armstrong), being run by the OC in a way that they believed in it, where the quarterback "knew" the style (our 2014 offense was pretty efficient for the most part, and was vintage Beck).

2009 - Watson was being forced to adopt the zone read offense he wasn't knowledgable of or believed in.

2013 - All three QBs that played that year were not good at the passing part of the game they were being asked to do. And...again we had an OC who had spent his time as the passing game coordinator trying to coach players who were more adept at running the ball.

We did not run a zone read offense in 2009.

True. Matter of fact, I just watched the 2009 bowl game last night and we ran precisely ONE zone read (and that was just kinda a zone read). We also had a tremendous amount of injuries to offensive starters that year, and ended up running the ball over 60% of the time the last half of the year - but not utilizing the QB.

• Fire 2

2013 - All three QBs that played that year were not good at the passing part of the game they were being asked to do. And...again we had an OC who had spent his time as the passing game coordinator trying to coach players who were more adept at running the ball.

Beck was also the running backs coach before being promoted to QB, and they didn't run an air-raid at KU. He's also the guy who recruited Armstrong, so... that doesn't really make sense.