The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

8 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

I'm amazed you're still talking about it to be honest.  Guess you just really need to reiterate how right you believe yourself to be.

Bottom line on Biden is as follows.  He wasn't asked about some black people...he was asked about reparations for all black people descended from slaves in America.  His answer should be framed in the context of the question.  Since it wasn't, he's wrong and you're wrong...and that's regardless if I provided anecdotal evidence for anything.

But it’s obvious he doesn’t mean all Black people. He knows the Obamas and they are an exception to the generalization.

Also, your first paragraph is about the worst type of reply on a message board. “I can’t believe you’re still talking about this, loser. Now excuse me while I talk about it again.”

Just reply or don’t.

55 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

No it's not.

It's obvious he stuck his foot in his mouth.  Stop making excuses for a really, really crappy answer.   He made a mistake.  That's it.  It's called a gaffe and he's quite familiar with them.

btw, I replied to Landlords continuing to defend Biden...not about my anecdote which is what I was telling him I was pretty surprised he was continuing to pile on about.

I think it was an awful reply. That doesn’t mean what you’re saying is correct.

I haven't been around these parts much lately. Has anyone dropped in to say how awful Biden is? :lol:

I'm actually with Knapp on this one. Biden has a lot of flaws, but they're fairly benign flaws typical of most politicians. And I personally don't think they're all that much better or worse than the flaws of anyone else running.

Hell, even if his brain is literally melting in real-time inside his skull, I'm confident he'd be surrounded by far more competent people with far better ideas and guiding principles than Trump is currently. So, assuming his mental capacity is declining (which at this point is just an assumption), being forced to choose between a mentally feeble Biden and a mentally feeble Trump shouldn't be a hard choice for anyone.

The "This is it, this is finally what will sink him" and "He needs to just drop out already" stuff is pretty laughable, though. He's in first place in every poll and it's not particularly close. Dropping out in that position is wishful thinking. Those who delude themselves into this type of thinking either don't understand or don't want to acknowledge his appeal.

• Plus1 2
6 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

I haven't been around these parts much lately. Has anyone dropped in to say how awful Biden is? :lol:

I'm actually with Knapp on this one. Biden has a lot of flaws, but they're fairly benign flaws typical of most politicians. And I personally don't think they're all that much better or worse than the flaws of anyone else running.

Hell, even if his brain is literally melting in real-time inside his skull, I'm confident he'd be surrounded by far more competent people with far better ideas and guiding principles than Trump is currently. So, assuming his mental capacity is declining (which at this point is just an assumption), being forced to choose between a mentally feeble Biden and a mentally feeble Trump shouldn't be a hard choice for anyone.

The "This is it, this is finally what will sink him" and "He needs to just drop out already" stuff is pretty laughable, though. He's in first place in every poll and it's not particularly close. Dropping out in that position is wishful thinking. Those who delude themselves into this type of thinking either don't understand or don't want to acknowledge his appeal.

Funny how everyone wants to call predjudiced rhetoric 'brain melting' as if he hasn't said and done stiff like this his whole life. Maybe he just feels this way about people of color and his brain is melting. Why are folks defending subtle racism???

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I think it was an awful reply. That doesn’t mean what you’re saying is correct.

I also think Biden's response was empty, poor and relatively pathetic. But blitz has completely mischaracterized it while chiding me for being some arrogant person who needs to be right or something. Sorry blitz, you're the only one here who's said anything along the lines of, "You're wrong." :lol:

So if he was asked a question about reparations, but he didn't give an answer about reparations, then how can you infer or assume anything about his answer? You used the context of the question to accuse him of racist stereotyping, and then you admit that his answer had nothing to do with the context of the question. So which is it?

Well, they have to deal with the — look, there’s institutional segregation in this country. - Joe actively acknowledges racial disadvantages for PoC. Good job Joe.

From the time I got involved, I started dealing with that. Redlining banks, making sure we are in a position where — Speaks to his record fighting racially based injustices. Good work.

look, you talk about education. - What you call this in the political world is a pivot. Biden doesn't generally believe in the idea of reparations, but most of his AA voters do, so instead of saying something that would poll very unpopular, he tries to shift the conversation into something he thinks sounds good. Politics 101.

I propose is we take the very poor schools, triple the amount of money we spend from $15 to $45 billion a year. Give every single teacher a raise to the $60,000 level. - Biden has accidentally confused poor and black as interchangeable before, which is a bad look on his part and possibly revealing of too simple an ideology about the world, but nonetheless, at this point he has either shifted towards talking about poor families regardless of race, or he has shifted to talking about poor black families. He's not talking about ALL BLACK PEOPLE. Poor black people exist, and those are the people Biden is trying to message to and about.

Number two, make sure that we bring in to help the teachers deal with the problems that come from home. The problems that come from home, we have one school psychologist for every 1,500 kids in America today. It’s crazy. The teachers are — I’m married to a teacher, my deceased wife is a teacher. They have every problem coming to them. Make sure that every single child does, in fact, have 3, 4 and 5-year-olds go to school. Not day care, school. - While talking not about all black people but about POOR BLACK PEOPLE IN RESOURCE DEPLETED SCHOOL DISTRICTS, Biden tries to lay out his plan for expanding services to help struggling families. 

Here's a quote from Biden that can help articulate how his answer isn't a racist assumption of poor, stupid, incapable black people, but a different perspective on approach to help the down and out. 

“I have much more confidence in my ability, or any president or any leader’s ability, to mobilize the American people around a multiyear, multibillion-dollar investment to help every child in poverty in this country than I am in being able to mobilize the country around providing a benefit specific to African Americans as a consequence of slavery and Jim Crow.”

His comments show us that Biden is old, has never been known for precise speaking, and is more centrist/moderate than many other contenders, which his team and others in our nation makes him more electable. Also potentially an idiot or suffering from an actively deteriorating brain. They don't show us that he's a racist.

• Plus1 1

The question wasn't asking about his past comments, it was referencing them as being in the past and then asking what the responsibility is of all of us to make progress today.

Here's the actual question asked:

"Mr. Vice President, I wanna come to you and talk to you about inequality in schools and race (weird, almost like this is exactly what his answer was about :lol: ). In a conversation about how to deal with segregation in schools back in 1975 you told a reporter, "I don't feel responsible for the sins of my father and grandfather, I feel responsible for what the situation is today; for the sins of my own generation and I'll be damned if I feel responsible to pay for what happened 300 years ago." You said that some 40 years ago. But as you stand here tonight, what responsibility do you think that Americans need to take to repair the legacy of slavery in our country?"

Biden - We have institutional segregation in this country, which I've fought, and my idea for how to keep fighting is to 1. to give more resources to the really poor schools 2. pay the teachers at those schools more 3. help those teachers more by employing support staff to help with problems at home. 4. have legitimate education pre-school for all 3-5 year old kids

Blitzfirst - Racist

I personally think that Biden's answer was bad.  It was stupid and it was just rambling about stuff not pertaining to the question and the way he said it was idiotic.

But....I think people are making it out to be more racist than what it is.  Racist is the easy, low hanging fruit that you can throw at the issue and nobody dare complain or disagree or OMG...YOU'RE SUPPORTING A RACIST.

Look.....there are one hell of a lot of people in this country that would benefit from help raising their kids.  You walk into poor neighborhoods with single family homes and the one parent there is addicted to crack and .....well.....they need help.  Now, there are white people in this situation too and the fact that Biden only keyed on the black people in this situation is probably where the "racist" mantra comes from.

But, fact is, there are lots of families that need help.

17 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

Man, if only there was a way to not have it be mentally feeble Biden vs mentally feeble Trump. What we need is some sort of way to vote for who should be in the running for President, like some sort of primary voting process. If only...

3 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

Honestly, the reason I am stating it is because I'm mixed race and I've experienced racism just like this before.  It sounds exactly like what he said...veiled and understated...answering questions that weren't asked, implying something that need not be implied.  Been happening since I was single digits old and it happened right there in western Nebraska.

"Veiled" and "understated" racism in Western Nebraska?  That's pretty laughable....