I hate seeing government work stopping. But I like the level of concern.

Democrats Grind Senate’s Work To A Halt Over Comey Firing

Sen. Jeff Merkley (D-OR) said the aim of the tactic was to force lawmakers from both parties to come together for an emergency meeting on the future of the FBI’s probe into whether Trump campaign officials colluded with Russian officials.

“We need to fight for the integrity of our system of government,” he told TPM. “We need to come together in the very near future for an executive session of the Senate to have a heart-to-heart discussion on how to defend our democratic republic. We need to reach an agreement on a strategy to ensure a fully-funded, aggressive investigation of not just Russian activity but any coordination or collaboration by any members of the Trump campaign. If there was such coordination that would be a treasonous crime.”

But such bipartisan talks have yet to materialize, and some Republicans were openly frustrated by the Democrats’ stalling tactics.

It is fitting to see the party of No get frustrated when they receive the same treatment in kind.

I agree with your assessment. This is not something to roll over on. This is absolutely worth taking the gloves off over.

Let's play a fun game of "Taking Trump At His Word!"

The situation then: FBI director James Comey, one week before the Presidential election, drops a "bomb" about new information regarding the Hillary Clinton email fiasco. Many Democrats, including Mrs. Clinton, blame this announcement for her "surprising" defeat in November. Said Democrats cry for the firing of FBI Director Comey for what they see as incompetence. However, Comey was never fired, but was actually praised in his first meeting at the White House with President Trump.

The situation now: Democrats are outraged over the firing of Comey. Trump claims the firing was because of how Comey handled the announcement of the Clinton Investigation (albeit several months ago). Trump and his crew call Democrats "hypocrites" because they are mad about him firing Comey because of reasons they originally wanted, i.e.: costing Clinton the election.

Trump At His Word: "I fired James Comey because he is one of the reasons I am currently President!"

(disclaimer: not really Trump's word; but do we need any more proof that this man never wanted to be President?)

I obviously don't know the inner workings of the FBI or federal investigations, but why would firing Comey have any impact on the alleged information suggesting collusion between Trump associates and the Russian government? Wouldn't that information be housed in official FBI channels, and wouldn't erasing or ignoring the information violate federal law?

I obviously don't know the inner workings of the FBI or federal investigations, but why would firing Comey have any impact on the alleged information suggesting collusion between Trump associates and the Russian government? Wouldn't that information be housed in official FBI channels, and wouldn't erasing or ignoring the information violate federal law?

How much faith do you have in the law stopping that from happening it Trump actually colluded with Russia? Especially if he places sychophants in charge, who hire other sychophants. Trump wanted Comey to pursue the wiretapping issue and he didn't. New Guy could take focus away from the Russia issue if Trump wants him to.

That's what's incredibly concerning.

Several sources reported tonight that Trump fired Comey less due his handling of the Clinton situation and more because A) Comey would not pledge allegiance to Trump and instead opted to remain independent (Trump sensed he was "too much his own man") and B) Comey was accelerating the Russia investigation instead of burying it.

Trump is described as very, very angry at pretty much all parties involved, including his own administration, that this doesn't go away. To the point of ranting profanities at cable news in his free time.

The fear is that he appoints a stooge like Giuliani who cares more about blind loyalty to Trump and his own aspirations than loyalty to us or our Constitution... someone who cannot in good conscience objectively carry out the task at hand.

Trump appointing a crony to lead another federal agency would be all about power consolidation and removing another check on him.

I'm still of the mind Senate Republicans would revolt if he appointed a partisan hack like Trey Gowdy or Giuliani... but we've been questioning where they draw the line in the sand for some time now, haven't we? They would not vote down any of his cabinet nominees. McCain voted down a methane bill today, perhaps out of spite for Comey. Maybe he will rediscover his legislative spine yet?

Enhance, do you trust him to nominate an objectively qualified, professional director in good faith? Would you trust them to carry on the Russia probe fairly?

That's what's incredibly concerning.

Several sources reported tonight that Trump fired Comey less due his handling of the Clinton situation and more because A) Comey would not pledge allegiance to Trump and instead opted to remain independent (Trump sensed he was "too much his own man") and B) Comey was accelerating the Russia investigation instead of burying it.

Trump is described as very, very angry at pretty much all parties involved, including his own administration, that this doesn't go away. To the point of ranting profanities at cable news in his free time.

The fear is that he appoints a stooge like Giuliani who cares more about blind loyalty to Trump and his own aspirations than loyalty to us or our Constitution... someone who cannot in good conscience objectively carry out the task at hand.

Trump appointing a crony to lead another federal agency would be all about power consolidation and removing another check on him.

I'm still of the mind Senate Republicans would revolt if he appointed a partisan hack like Trey Gowdy or Giuliani... but we've been questioning where they draw the line in the sand for some time now, haven't we? They would not vote down any of his cabinet nominees. McCain voted down a methane bill today, perhaps out of spite for Comey. Maybe he will rediscover his legislative spine yet?

Enhance, do you trust him to nominate an objectively qualified, professional director in good faith? Would you trust them to carry on the Russia probe fairly?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/how-trumps-anger-and-impatience-prompted-him-to-fire-the-fbi-director/2017/05/10/d9642334-359c-11e7-b373-418f6849a004_story.html?utm_term=.652c723a7560

According to this link the Assistant AG threatened to resigned.

This article also notes Trump's anger at Comey for not 'being loyal' to him. Pardon me but Comey's loyalty is to be towards the constitution and the laws of land that he is sworn to protect and enforce.

Regarding appointees - Trump would do well to get this behind him by hiring a person acceptable to both parties. I've heard the name Tom Ridge thrown out -a moderate Republican, 1st leader of Home Land security and former governor. He may be acceptable and already has big agency law enforcement experience.

Trump picked a bad time for a melt down. I think he is consumed with news about himself. His mental state has to be questioned and therefore his ability to serve. Trump's anger is directly from his very low self esteem, which is covered up by his boastful talk

and the away he verbally attacks others.

If there is anything at all in the Russian investigation that comes out, this could go bad really quick as I don't think Trump has many truly loyal friends to fight with him. He isn't a true republican or conservative - they have no long term loyalty to him. One report

said there were 30 leaks after the firing of Comey from within the administration. Yes, as President, Trump had the right to fire Comey and could have come out with logical reasons for the firing. But the firing was not logical at this time - maybe after the Russian

investigation was done or as soon as the President took office (He should have done it then as Comey botched the Clinton investigation big time - both pro and con from the perspective of both parties). But for Trump to do it now shows 2 things in my opinion, He is consumed by his anger (reason enough for possible impeachment if proven it inhibits his ability to execute the duties of the office faithfully) and he may have something to hide (If illegal activities are revealed - he'll be impeached. The repubs won't want to tie their

2018 election prospects to a sinking ship).

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/10/us/politics/how-trump-decided-to-fire-james-comey.html?_r=0

http://thehill.com/policy/national-security/fbi/332882-comey-called-trump-crazy-report

Former FBI Director James Comey reportedly told associates in March that President Trump was "crazy" for suggesting former President had wiretapped him.

Comey also called the president “outside the realm of normal,” according to a report from The New York Times on Wednesday.

The Times said that, in return, Trump was furious when Comey publicly refused to back his claims that he was wiretapped during the 2016 campaign before the House Intelligence Committee in March.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The WH story is full of holes and falling apart.

I'm surprised that I'm quoting this guy, but he makes sense here:

“This is actually worse than the Saturday night massacre,” Tom Perez, the new chairman of the Democratic National Committee, said at the rally organized by MoveOn.org. Perez was referencing former President Nixon’s infamous order in 1973 to fire an independent special prosecutor investigating Watergate.

Other Democratic leaders have called Trump’s action “Nixonian” and a “cover-up.”

After the rally, Perez told reporters that it was clear to him that former Trump National Security Adviser Michael Flynn, forced to resign in February after he was caught lying about his communication with a top Russian official, will be prosecuted. That will be only the beginning, the DNC chair said.

“When you follow the facts to where the facts lead you, I think it’s going to be clear that there was collusion between the Trump campaign and the Russian government to affect the results of this election,” Perez said. “It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out why Comey got fired.”

Asked whether he was declining to support impeachment, Perez demurred.

“I’d like to know what the facts are,” he said. “And the best way to know the facts is to have an independent investigation.”

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/white-house/article149758184.html

No I wouldn't, but I guess I'm still a bit floored that there's the possibility a replacement would be able to (legally or illegally) cover up or ignore the investigation. This might be a misplaced trust on my end... meaning I struggle to believe/accept that our system would allow something like that to happen. Or, perhaps a better way to phrase that is I wish our system wasn't susceptible to this kind of problem.

That may end up being wishful thinking.