** 2017 Opponent Previews: Wisconsin (Game 6) **

I remember years ago NY Giants and the 49ers were battling for NFC supremacy. The Giants had a tight end stud named Mark Bavarro. The 49ers countered with a neat little guy named Ronnie Lott at safety. Ronnie Lott hit Bavarro so hard he completely took him out of the game as a factor.

So my question is this: which Husker is going to man up and own Fumagalli? That would be big.

Unfortunately in today's game any hit that would demonstrate "ownership" over another player will probably be followed by a yellow piece of cloth.
  • Fire 1

Wisconsin will be Wisconsin. They should be a good team, but I don't think they will be better than their team last year. There formula is really pretty simple. Run the ball, play action passing and a solid defense. They play very disiplined football and don't beat themselves.

They are always good to great on the O-line, they have good to great RB to run behind those lines. The have a game manager QB that doesn't make a ton of mistakes, but is usually not going to win you a game. They usually have at least one good receiver, and that is Peavy this year and they always have a good TE (Fumagali).

They seem to have an endless supply of 6'3" 240lb linebackers that have moters that just don't quit.

They remind me so much of Nebraska from about 1965 to 1979 it is scary. This isn't surprising because Barry built the team and based his model after the teams he played on at Nebraska. They only time the ever get beaten badly is when they are outclased talent wise and that talent is hitting on all cylinders.

On paper they don't look that great recruiting, but they fill their needs very well. They recruit to their system. They have a great walk-on program and find a lot of great players in the small towns of Wisconsin.

If I sound a little envious, I just might be. :blink:

• Fire 1

Wisconsin will be Wisconsin. They should be a good team, but I don't think they will be better than their team last year. There formula is really pretty simple. Run the ball, play action passing and a solid defense. They play very disiplined football and don't beat themselves.

They are always good to great on the O-line, they have good to great RB to run behind those lines. The have a game manager QB that doesn't make a ton of mistakes, but is usually not going to win you a game. They usually have at least one good receiver, and that is Peavy this year and they always have a good TE (Fumagali).

They seem to have an endless supply of 6'3" 240lb linebackers that have moters that just don't quit.

They remind me so much of Nebraska from about 1965 to 1979 it is scary. This isn't surprising because Barry built the team and based his model after the teams he played on at Nebraska. They only time the ever get beaten badly is when they are outclased talent wise and that talent is hitting on all cylinders.

On paper they don't look that great recruiting, but they fill their needs very well. They recruit to their system. They have a great walk-on program and find a lot of great players in the small towns of Wisconsin.

That pretty much sums up Wisconsin and....a team like that should always concern any opponent.

My question is, at what point do coaching changes change up that formula. It's obvious that finally that caught up with Oregon and the program is going to change dramatically. At some point, it happens to all programs when they have multiple coaching changes.

That pretty much sums up Wisconsin and....a team like that should always concern any opponent.

My question is, at what point do coaching changes change up that formula. It's obvious that finally that caught up with Oregon and the program is going to change dramatically. At some point, it happens to all programs when they have multiple coaching changes.

I think it could happen this year. The changes at the DC for the third year in a row could finally start biting them in the arse. Just because you run the same system doesn't mean you always get the same results. I would worry more about the new guys inexperience than anything. I would not question his football knowledge, but with only 1 year of coaching experience and then being given a coordinators position, I would question his organizational skills and game planning. He may be a natural and be very organized, but there is usually something of a learning curve.

I think it could happen this year. The changes at the DC for the third year in a row could finally start biting them in the arse. Just because you run the same system doesn't mean you always get the same results. I would worry more about the new guys inexperience than anything. I would not question his football knowledge, but with only 1 year of coaching experience and then being given a coordinators position, I would question his organizational skills and game planning. He may be a natural and be very organized, but there is usually something of a learning curve.

I agree, play calling is freaking hard. Three seasons I had to call offense and I hated it and was horrible at it. Calling defense I love.

I've done both as well but I felt offense was easier. I'm more defensive minded which I think helped in my offensive play calling. Setting plays up series in advance was always fun especially if your guys know what you are doing and why. Worked with a coordinator that didn't really understand defense and would just call plays to call plays. Prefer coaching defense tho

Since Mike got here the team has played really hard against Wisconsin, but we have just fallen up short with some unlucky bounces. The team wants to beat Wiscy bad and this is the year to do it with Hornibrook as the number one qb. He will be better and used to the 3-4 but we will probably add some things to keep them on their toes. I believe this year we finally take them down and we get ready for this game. Something that may happen is we beat Wisconsin giving it our all and we may have a let down against OSU the next week. I would be fine with that as long as we beat every team in the west and keep the OSU game competitive as we can at home.

That would be ideal anyway. If we're going to win the west and have to face tOSU a 2nd time in the CCG I'd rather we lost to them the first time. You never want to be in a same season rematch having won the first meeting. That rarely goes well for anyone.

I remember years ago NY Giants and the 49ers were battling for NFC supremacy. The Giants had a tight end stud named Mark Bavarro. The 49ers countered with a neat little guy named Ronnie Lott at safety. Ronnie Lott hit Bavarro so hard he completely took him out of the game as a factor.

So my question is this: which Husker is going to man up and own Fumagalli? That would be big.

Unfortunately in today's game any hit that would demonstrate "ownership" over another player will probably be followed by a yellow piece of cloth.
Not if the jersey says alabama. Go watch the NC game again and count how many hits that would've gotten a husker thrown out.

• 2 weeks later...

Since everyone has been asking, I thought I would offer an in-depth unbiased breakdown of Wisconsin.

First we have "Wis" which phonetically is "Whiz" meaning to urinate or pee.

Next we have "con" which is the opposite of "pro" and refers to negative things or aspects. It can also mean to trick someone.

Lastly is the "sin" which is a dastardly unholy act.

So there you have it. Wisconsin must be a pissy place where negative, tricky people do terrible things. I hope this helps you as you look forward to this game!

• Fire 3

Since everyone has been asking, I thought I would offer an in-depth unbiased breakdown of Wisconsin.

First we have "Wis" which phonetically is "Whiz" meaning to urinate or pee.

Next we have "con" which is the opposite of "pro" and refers to negative things or aspects. It can also mean to trick someone.

Lastly is the "sin" which is a dastardly unholy act.

So there you have it. Wisconsin must be a pissy place where negative, tricky people do terrible things. I hope this helps you as you look forward to this game!

Sounds legit