** 2017 Opponent Previews: Wisconsin (Game 6) **

Wow 4 of 5 have us beating Wisconsin! That is surprising. If we do that and hold up against teams we should beat, hello Indy!

Edit:but I suppose it actually isn't that easy because we could drop 2 (Penn St. and OSU) and Wisconsin could regain control. But a win against them would theoretically put us in the drivers seat

Looking at everything on paper, there is no reason why we should have the record we do against them since joining the conference. In no way do they out recruit us so they don't have better talent.

This entire series got off to a really really really bad start by having a team that went into games with pathetic game plans and mentality that wasn't tough enough to compete in any part of the game.

That has lead to this program having a mental block when it comes to playing Wisconsin. Somehow this team has got to get over that and this season is shaping up to be the season to have a chance to accomplish that. We beat them once. Unfortunately, that same season we had to play them again and went right back to our pathetic preparation and focus which ruined any momentum the program had gained with the win.

We need to string two wins against them together starting this year. I think that's possible. We should have beaten them the last two years.

Get it done BIG RED!!!!!

Looking at everything on paper, there is no reason why we should have the record we do against them since joining the conference. In no way do they out recruit us so they don't have better talent.

It's one thing to "recruit talent," which is an inexact science in itself, and another to develop it. Not many programs do it as well as Wisconsin. Since 2000, Wisconsin has produced 72 NFL Draft picks. In that same time-frame, Nebraska has had 68 players drafted.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

It's one thing to "recruit talent," which is an inexact science in itself, and another to develop it. Not many programs do it as well as Wisconsin. Since 2000, Wisconsin has produced 72 NFL Draft picks. In that same time-frame, Nebraska has had 68 players drafted.

Nobody is arguing that point. Your draft picks stat sort of points out my point. The W/L record since joining the conference between the two is illogical. My point is that it's because of what's between the ears of each team.

As much as Nebraska players have a mental block when it comes to playing Wisconsin, Wisconsin players have great confidence.

Nobody is arguing that point. Your draft picks stat sort of points out my point. The W/L record since joining the conference between the two is illogical. My point is that it's because of what's between the ears of each team.

As much as Nebraska players have a mental block when it comes to playing Wisconsin, Wisconsin players have great confidence.

I think the mental block is exaggerated. They beat us badly twice because they knew how to formation and motion us into a bad alignment and we couldn't/wouldn't adjust. One game we were very competitive for a half then made too many mistakes. The other games have all been very closely contested, coming right down to the end.

• Fire 1

SBNation preview is up!

I can't help but feel that WI is being over hyped this season. They'll be good and do the stuff that Wisconsin does, we know that. However, they lost their two top RBs, an All-American left tackle, two all-conference DBs, a 1st round draft pick OLB and a 3rd round draft pick OLB. . So yeah, lots of senior leadership and returning starters, but they lost some talent. They're still gonna be good and I have no problem looking at them as favorites in the West, but lets be reasonable about going undefeated.

This is what so many of us and other B1G fans have been saying since 2009 or so. Tons of coaching turnover, plenty of lost all-american runningbacks or linemen or defensive studs, awful quarterbacks, etc., but they keep plugging away having really good to great seasons all the time.

The biggest source of optimism for me is that Riley has been a sliver away from winning in both games he's coached against them.

• Plus1 1

The NFL Draft pick statistic was meant to show that the talent differential is not what you make it to be. What the recruiting services have to say, you're taking to heart. It's an inexact science. Not only do players develop differently, both physically and mentally, but services hardly have a chance to appropriately assess/scout every commit. Simply, some will slip through the cracks of improper evaluation. As an example, 247 has done a good job, after the NFL Draft, of going back and looking at hits/misses in their evaluation of drafted players.

ETA: On a separate note, I am planning on making my first trip to Lincoln this fall. Lincoln and College Park (surprising since D.C. is so close) are the two B1G towns/stadiums that I have yet to see. I am very much looking forward to it.

• Fire 1

The NFL Draft pick statistic was meant to show that the talent differential is not what you make it to be. What the recruiting services have to say, you're taking to heart. It's an inexact science. Not only do players develop differently, both physically and mentally, but services hardly have a chance to appropriately assess/scout every commit. Simply, some will slip through the cracks of improper evaluation. As an example, 247 has done a good job, after the NFL Draft, of going back and looking at hits/misses in their evaluation of drafted players.

ETA: On a separate note, I am planning on making my first trip to Lincoln this fall. Lincoln and College Park (surprising since D.C. is so close) are the two B1G towns/stadiums that I have yet to see. I am very much looking forward to it.

I think that speaks more to development and coaching than raw talent. Yes, recruiting services aren't perfect, but they are a really good indicator of talent.

I think we will definitely see the Wisconsin offense struggle in this game. Blackshirt defense rise up and keep the points down

Their offense will be sh#t this year. I think we see a fantastic showing from the D. Hard and fast all night.

tenor.gif

Wow 4 of 5 have us beating Wisconsin! That is surprising. If we do that and hold up against teams we should beat, hello Indy!

Edit:but I suppose it actually isn't that easy because we could drop 2 (Penn St. and OSU) and Wisconsin could regain control. But a win against them would theoretically put us in the drivers seat

That's assuming Wisky beats Michigan, which I don't think will happen, or gets through the rest of the B1G West unscathed (aside from Nebraska).

I really think people are underselling Minnesota (again) and they could upend Wisky, but that's another discussion for another thread and/or board.

Since Mike got here the team has played really hard against Wisconsin, but we have just fallen up short with some unlucky bounces. The team wants to beat Wiscy bad and this is the year to do it with Hornibrook as the number one qb. He will be better and used to the 3-4 but we will probably add some things to keep them on their toes. I believe this year we finally take them down and we get ready for this game. Something that may happen is we beat Wisconsin giving it our all and we may have a let down against OSU the next week. I would be fine with that as long as we beat every team in the west and keep the OSU game competitive as we can at home.

I remember years ago NY Giants and the 49ers were battling for NFC supremacy. The Giants had a tight end stud named Mark Bavarro. The 49ers countered with a neat little guy named Ronnie Lott at safety. Ronnie Lott hit Bavarro so hard he completely took him out of the game as a factor.

So my question is this: which Husker is going to man up and own Fumagalli? That would be big.

I remember years ago NY Giants and the 49ers were battling for NFC supremacy. The Giants had a tight end stud named Mark Bavarro. The 49ers countered with a neat little guy named Ronnie Lott at safety. Ronnie Lott hit Bavarro so hard he completely took him out of the game as a factor.

So my question is this: which Husker is going to man up and own Fumagalli? That would be big.

Trying to take out opposing players. Omg what's wrong with you