Nebraska Games without cable?

With the PS Vue price increase, I think the cheapest non-cable option that would cover all Husker games is YouTube TV at $35/month, followed by Hulu Live TV at $40/month. Either of those would include the various ESPN and Fox Sports networks plus BTN.

I wish Amazon had some live TV options...

I've been a cord cutter since May and have used DirecTV Now until this past week when I switched to the Hulu Live TV, they have all the channels I want (all of the ESPN's, BTN, FS Midwest, CSN Chicago) for $10 less than DirecTV Now.  What channels I don't have like MLB Network or NFL Network, i'll use my sister's DirecTV user name and password to watch on their respective apps.  Sling TV was a no go for me as they don't have BTN or Fox News (ducking on the Fox News, LOL)

20 hours ago, RedDenver said:

FYI, any TV antenna will work, calling it an "hd antenna" is marketing.

Yeah I realize that, since every channel is digital now.  It's just, I was surprised you can pick up channels without even an actual antennae, and amazon's "biggest seller" is a plastic square about the size of a mouse pad.  granted, the range is only 25-100, but was still pretty funny. 

I feel a bit like a fraud.  Currently we have Cox Essential which I guess is btn, btn alt, fox, foxsports, fsl, pmsespn etc.  It's included in the rent so might as well use it, Vue was nice though, if I was paying for this cable it'd be $80 plus taxes fees and charges. 

Hulu Live has exceeded my expectations.  Occasionally it will buffer but it's over before you know it and only happens every so often.  I basically have every single channel that I actually watched before when I had Comcast except for maybe the NFL network but I truly only watched that in pre season if anything.  

Hopefully they don't stray too far beyond the $39.95 price point.  Even if it the price does go up a little bit in the future to me it's probably worth it.

5 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

If it had just a couple more networks, I'd switch from PS Vue.  It's missing some deal breakers though for the wife.  Still, am interested in how it does for you.

I wish Sling had BTN otherwise I would've chosen that because they seemed to have the best overall selection and the only provider with Comedy Central (which would be one of the only non sports channels I care about). I will update later tonight on how it handles tonight's games.

I'm starting to worry a bit heading into the season. Streaming worked just fine on my Roku last year for my wife. But we got an Apple TV in the off-season.

Netflix, Comedy Central, Hulu, HBO, Showtime, everything works fine. Hell, I stream 4K on my TV and UHD Blu-ray player on Amazon, Netflix, and YouTube all the time with ease.

When it comes to sports... well, that's another bag.

Watching the OSU/Indiana game there was a ton of buffering and freezes. Oddly enough, watching the annoying home crowd feed on ESPNU worked swellingly.

Watching the Browns on NFL GamePass looked like I was driving on a motorcycle down I-80 in the dead of summer.

Watcing the Gophers was a lot better quality, but still way too many freezes and buffers. FS1 worked fine though on the app.

If this craps out on me on Saturday... oooh boy.

Admit I'd love to be able to watch the games live and in person but I really don't care much for watching the Huskers on live TV.  Don't mind the replays but live, I just can't stand to listen to the announcers make stupid, ignorant comments about players and plays the know little about while they pretend to be 'experts'.  And, the TV commercials are so awful and repeated and I just lose interest.

I would rather listen to Huskers on the radio broadcast and can do so with no out of pocket cost at all (I have to do so on internet as I live in upstate NY).   I know that most people don't feel this way but after nearly 50 years of being a die hard Husker, I still like the old school approaches.  I am not a fan of Gary Sharp but Davison is OK.  Nothing beats sitting in the south stadium about 46 rows up behind the goal post.  Best seats in the house are there and I've sat all around multiple stadiums.  End zone is the best for Husker football.  

And special thanks to Mavric for all his good works on this site - just please put up the videos of the games ASAP as it is nice to go back and watch the replay to review and analyze and compare.

So, call me cheap, but I pay nothing as I find, TV programming and all the commercials, etc are just not worth much more than that.  Only about 3% of the stuff that's aired is even worth watching at all.  TV hasn't been good in about a decade really.   Majority of movies are not much better.  I recommend you cut the cord.  You most likely need or want the internet for all sorts of things besides 'watching TV' anyway.  If you can watch something using that without spending any extra money.  Fine.   I do use Netflix (along with my kids at their several households for $2 a month my share so I guess I do pay something) but I find myself rewatching a handful of shows that I are OK and most are not worth the wear and tear on your eyes to even watch.