The proverbial "1,000 yard rusher"

Are you serious with this argument???!!!! How many 'bad' teams has any running back for Nebraska or any other team for that matter faced??????!!!!!!!

That's not the argument at all.

Go look at Ameer, Rex, and Helu highlight tapes. Notice that a good amount of them are against quality competition. Virtually none of Marlon's are.

Now, I'll help you out. A big part of that reason is that you linked a 2008 highlight video, and he'd been supplanted by Roy Helu about halfway through the season. So I'll even throw a bone and link videos from 2006-07, where he played more against the better teams on the schedule:

Marlon was a good back. I've said that more than three times now. He was very comparable to a Terrell Newby type - dependable and worked hard, would take advantage of big holes and good run blocking, but would rarely make you go "WOW" on his own.

Are you serious with this argument???!!!! How many 'bad' teams has any running back for Nebraska or any other team for that matter faced??????!!!!!!!

That's not the argument at all.

Go look at Ameer, Rex, and Helu highlight tapes. Notice that a good amount of them are against quality competition. Virtually none of Marlon's are.

Now, I'll help you out. A big part of that reason is that you linked a 2008 highlight video, and he'd been supplanted by Roy Helu about halfway through the season. So I'll even throw a bone and link videos from 2006-07, where he played more against the better teams on the schedule:

Marlon was a good back. I've said that more than three times now. He was very comparable to a Terrell Newby type - dependable and worked hard, would take advantage of big holes and good run blocking, but would rarely make you go "WOW" on his own.

O.k so you do think he was a good back which is exactly what I've been saying also. The 'weak' competition argument I can't get down with though. He wasn't the greatest rb we've ever had but he definitely deserves more respect than this thread has given him...

The worst thing I see someone call him is "pretty average" in post #18, and the first reference (in any way) to him being a bad back is when you, suh_fan, said he "most definitely wasn't a bad running back." Unless I missed it, and forgive me if I did, I didn't see anybody say he was bad until you referenced this.

I feel like it's rather pointless to continually go back and forth over what basically boils down to semantics and how one interprets "good."

• Fire 5

The worst thing I see someone call him is "pretty average" in post #18, and the first reference (in any way) to him being a bad back is when you, suh_fan, said he "most definitely wasn't a bad running back." Unless I missed it, and forgive me if I did, I didn't see anybody say he was bad until you referenced this.

I feel like it's rather pointless to continually go back and forth over what basically boils down to semantics and how one interprets "good."

Thanks for chiming in...

The thread's going down a silly rabbit hole over what "good" means with some straw man/exaggerated arguments along the way. Nobody here, so far as I can tell, thinks Lucky was bad. It's probably wiser if we all shift our focus back to the OP.

• Fire 1

Damn, suh_fan93. You have picked way more fights today than I remember you ever doing before. Not trying to be a dick, seriously, but are you alright?

I'm great and no one's picking fights so settle down with that stuff! If people get wound up about a conversation about Marlon Lucky then we all need to step away from this board. It's all good In the Deed.

Damn, suh_fan93. You have picked way more fights today than I remember you ever doing before. Not trying to be a dick, seriously, but are you alright?

j

I'm great and no one's picking fights so settle down with that stuff! If people get wound up about a conversation about Marlon Lucky then we all need to step away from this board. It's all good In the Deed.

Cool, glad to hear that.

And to be honest, I was maybe the biggest Lucky homer in the state when he was playing. It was during my season ticket stretch (ya, it was my fault guys) and I was really rooting for him. I think because he kind of was the flag bearer for the "Callahan will recruit us back to dominance" crowd which I was trying very hard to be a part of. I was a teen in the 90s, I expected that kind of production from Nebraska, when we weren't getting it I tried to grab anything I thought might get us back there.

Marlon Lucky embodied that for me.

• Fire 2

In the end I think Lucky benefitted from Callahan's offense, which let him catch the ball in open field. I don't think he would have started on an Osborne team.

No disrespect being a middle of the pack career running back at Nebraska, especially when you still hold a couple records a decade later. But I don't think Marlon Lucky has been under-appreciated. A solid player in an unfortunate era. That's about it.

• Fire 3

I don't care if we win games by running or passing as long as we're winning. But I do believe an effective running game makes winning much easier. I think the YPC stat is more telling at how effective you are. I'd rather have a high team YPC stat than a 1000 yard rusher. One guy getting all the yards may just mean you aren't very deep or he could get them averaging 3.2 YPC and it wouldn't be very impressive. We need the ability to grind out games and will really need a good running game without a QB running threat.

• Fire 2

I don't care if we win games by running or passing as long as we're winning. But I do believe an effective running game makes winning much easier. I think the YPC stat is more telling at how effective you are. I'd rather have a high team YPC stat than a 1000 yard rusher. One guy getting all the yards may just mean you aren't very deep or he could get them averaging 3.2 YPC and it wouldn't be very impressive. We need the ability to grind out games and will really need a good running game without a QB running threat.

Preach it BC brotha!

• Fire 1