What did we learn-Game 1 Arky State

JJ Husker

Just now, dudeguyy said:

maxresdefault.jpg

I've seen him a few times during things at "Born n Raised" here in Vegas with my Husker shirts on.  Really nice guy and talks more about Nebraska to me than UNLV.  I really think he misses it and UNLV is just a job to him.  I do feel sorry for him, he had some good teams to be a coach of, but UNLV is basically the obituary job for any coach.  RIP coach Cotton, you'll retire with a nice sum of cash in the bank and never have to worry about recruiting much again.

• Plus1 2
28 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

It's a new season and a different team. Heck we even replaced 3 of the coaches from a year ago.

We keep seeing the same things and year after year we come up with this same excuses. If Mike Riley were any more consistent, someone would tell him to see his doctor.

And dont get me started on Langsdorf. This site may run out of bandwidth.

• Plus1 3

34 minutes ago, El Diaco said:

Yeah, the game thread is no better than a disease. People severely overreact to every little thing. Sure we had some problems but dang, we're 1-0. The days of rolling teams ended many years ago. Nobody is intimidated by us anymore, a casualty of 20 years of mediocre football. No sense lamenting it play by play.

If you want results, pay attention to the performance and ignore the W/L column.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Diaco = Banker after 1 game.  No pass rush. Soft coverage.

1 hour ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

No one thinks Diaco held back his blitz packages for Oregon? 

1 hour ago, seaofred92 said:

no. I almost typed this in the game thread but held off because I don't want to ruin the board with "Im a UConn fan and have watched Diaco so blah blah" 

But this reminded me so much of a game we played @ BYU on a Friday 2 years ago. BYU continuously ran those short rub routes and WR screens and Diaco refused to adjust and move our DB's closer to the line of scrimmage. Result was they just dink and dunked us to death. Bob is extremely stubborn and while he gets a lot of credit for being a brilliant defensive mind his style of play on D is mind boggling. Its not an aggressive high octane intense 3-4 D. Its designed to keep everything in front and make you take 10+ plays to get down the field. Which is ridiculous but it is what it is. 

41 minutes ago, brophog said:

If you have Peyton Manning, that's fine. If you're offense is efficient enough, that's a great way to go. It's hard to routinely go the length of the field grinding out plays. A lot can go wrong and thwart a drive.

I didnt see that kind of defense today. I saw one that was very exploitable, and if anything, Ark St was too stubborn to exploit it. So much talk of those screens they ran, but if they had something to go off of that, like good offenses do, they win going away.

Or if the 3 is comprised of 3 future top draft picks.  Disco has always been this way and Riley knew what he was hiring.

Ozigbo may have been deported. He was MIA all night and that shocked me. I really thought he showed well last year and he's got a unique frame and blend of skills that I thought would make him into the thumper. Still, Bryant played well and i saw some shades of AA tonight. The coaches must have some real confidence in him to give him that share of the work. Hopefully he can develop into the next great NU RB.

Really inconsistent OL play tonight. Looked good on some plays and garbo on others. The lack of getoff by Farmer on that safety was concerning. 

Same deal with Lee. Some throws made him look like the real deal, the best thrower we've had in a really long time, and made some head-scratching bad decisions. I thought his receivers let him down some tonight so his overall stats are probably worse than he played. But he also had some giveaways dropped, so maybe not. 

Special teams was OK outside of their return and the kicks OOB. Need to clean that up but I feel better about them than I did under Read. 

Overall, we won. That's better than the alternative. This team needs to get its ducks in a row quick, or they'll struggle to win tough games. But I'm not going to freak out until that happens.

2 minutes ago, dudeguyy said:

Ozigbo may have been deported. He was MIA all night and that shocked me. I really thought he showed well last year and he's got a unique frame and blend of skills that I thought would make him into the thumper.

Not all that surprising to me. Some apparently expected him to be #1 this year, but everything I've seen points to him being solidly at #3.

1 hour ago, HuskerInLostWages said:

During the TX game today it happened and the clock was going to run off 10 seconds but Maryland got to use their 2nd TO.  If the helmet comes off in the last 2 minutes of a half, it is run off or you can use a time out.  Even inadvertent helmet removal will have a 10 second run off.

That's crazy then I thought it seemed wrong the way it was handled.  Overall I felt like the officiating was pretty mediocre.  The one that really gets me still is how much holding went on in the game and then they call one to reverse a nice run where there wasn't a hold on the whole screen and the guy they called just blocked his guy into the turf

• Plus1 2

I don't get why people are freaking out so much. Other than the ones who expected us to win the B1G.

What happened tonight is pretty much what has happened every season for the past 5+ seasons. We had close games against worse opponents than Arkansas State (e.g. McNeese State and Idaho State).

The game didn't make me feel confident but it also didn't make me assume we'd have a losing season. It's way too early to freak out like this.

• Plus1 2