Chatelain: Bob Diaco's defense on red alert after Red Wolves roll Huskers for 497 yards

Saunders

Bob Diaco was nowhere to be seen.

As the clock hit 11 p.m. and 11 weary defenders huddled one last time, Nebraska’s knight in shining black armor — the guru for whom Mike Riley gave $825,000 a year and entrusted a whole lot more — was six floors up in Memorial Stadium, communicating with his assistants via headset.

Surely there are advantages in scheming a game from the press box. But with two seconds left and a season opener in doubt, a coach has to wonder.

These pesky Red Wolves were moving south toward a nearly full moon, ready to howl with delight. They needed 11 more yards and a two-point conversion to complete a stunning upset. If ever there were a time for the Blackshirts to look their new defensive coordinator in the eyes, this was it.

Instead, assistants Trent Bray and John Parrella barked instructions. AC/DC blasted on the stadium speakers. Ninety thousand plus stood and awaited Arkansas State’s 89th snap.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/chatelain-bob-diaco-s-defense-on-red-alert-after-red/article_53ba6472-906f-11e7-afc6-e7f8cc454329.html

• Plus1 2

6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Well the head coach and offensive coordinator thought the game was over with 6 minutes left in the game, and Arky State wasn't going to be a threat until the end. Is there any other reason for them to be throwing the ball on 2nd and 3rd down?

I get so tired of this team letting off the gas when it has the advantage.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Huskinator said:

I an just glad that didn't bite them in the butt.   We won the game and got away with a mistake, I hope they learn from it and build off it.  Clock management was atrocious!!!!  That is something you can learn from now though.  

Riley is 63 years old and has been a head coach for over 2 decades?  How is he going to learn from it now?

• Plus1 3

Is riley the one on the field signaling the snap?    Is he the one that is calling the pass play (or could that possibly be an audible from the qb who saw something!!!!?!???).   We have a qb who has some rust that needed knocked off.  He needs to learn clock management.   I am certain it will be addressed this week.   

Good grief guys.  We got the win get over it. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Huskinator said:

Is riley the one on the field signaling the snap?    Is he the one that is calling the pass play (or could that possibly be an audible from the qb who saw something!!!!?!???).   We have a qb who has some rust that needed knocked off.  He needs to learn clock management.   I am certain it will be addressed this week.   

Good grief guys.  We got the win get over it. 

Clock and game management always goes on the coaching staff.  It's not hard to bring over the QB and say, "we are gonna bleed to play clock down to under 5 seconds every play, and we aren't going to pass the ball until 3rd down.