Tre Bryant

REDFANATIC

6 minutes ago, ZRod said:

No, I assume the coaching staff is intelligent enough to think about the big picture. I should know they're not though. I like these guys, and Langs is not a bad OC, but they just lack attention to detail in so many areas. It's a simple thing. Have a guy keep an eye on number of carries and pull him early. RBs don't make it through a whole season without missing some games, we all know that. Son why wouldn't you protect one of your best players, who happens to be a RB, a little better?

Did you just call me son?  He wasn't unprotected.  And he had 20 carries.  He got tackled awkwardly.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, ZRod said:

No, I assume the coaching staff is intelligent enough to think about the big picture. I should know they're not though. I like these guys, and Langs is not a bad OC, but they just lack attention to detail in so many areas. It's a simple thing. Have a guy keep an eye on number of carries and pull him early. RBs don't make it through a whole season without missing some games, we all know that. Son why wouldn't you protect one of your best players, who happens to be a RB, a little better?

Lacking in your post is any mention of other very important details when considering who's in at back like; ball protection, pass blocking ability, receiving out of the backfield, and average yards per carry? 

Tre is averaging 25 carriers through two games.  What's the number you'd like to see?  How many fumbles, missed blocks, less yards per carry, and dropped passes are you willing to live with to get it there?

52 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Did you just call me son?  He wasn't unprotected.  And he had 20 carries.  He got tackled awkwardly.

The n was supposed to be a comma, I didn't hold the button long enougho my phone. And I'm talking about the first game.

24 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

Lacking in your post is any mention of other very important details when considering who's in at back like; ball protection, pass blocking ability, receiving out of the backfield, and average yards per carry? 

Tre is averaging 25 carriers through two games.  What's the number you'd like to see?  How many fumbles, missed blocks, less yards per carry, and dropped passes are you willing to live with to get it there?

In a game against Arky st? I think the backups could definitely use the reps to improve those skills.

45 minutes ago, ZRod said:

The n was supposed to be a comma, I didn't hold the button long enougho my phone. And I'm talking about the first game.

In a game against Arky st? I think the backups could definitely use the reps to improve those skills.

Seems you're ignoring a big detail from the Arky St. game. The score. 

It also looks like you're suggesting it's more important to give backups learning reps than playing to win?

I respectfully disagree and I'm also still curious what your number of carriers Tre should be limited to is.  I find it odd you have such a strong opinion the coaches gave him way to many, yet don't have a strong opinion on what the number should be. 

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, LaunchCode said:

Seems you're ignoring a big detail from the Arky St. game. The score. 

It also looks like you're suggesting it's more important to give backups learning reps than playing to win?

I respectfully disagree and I'm also still curious what your number of carriers Tre should be limited to is.  I find it odd you have such a strong opinion the coaches gave him way to many, yet don't have a strong opinion on what the number should be. 

Not really. Tre had over 20 carries in the 3rd when the game was undercontrol. Is this really such a hard thing to understand? I can't criticise the staff for something they continually do? They are always  verlooking the small things that make up the big picture. Why is this such a hard concept, protect your guys early so they are healthy down the stretch, and build experience behind them for the unforeseen. 

20 to 25 carries is really all he should have needed against Arky state. I've already said that I was hoping he would have been taken out aright around 21 carries in the 3rd quarter, that was literally the thought I had during the game without knowing about his knee issues. Save the guy for the season, hes friggin good!

Does Davis get any credit for not having Wilbon or Oz more ready?  He's been their coach for 3 years and the same old pass catching, blitz pick up, insert reason why they aren't excelling comes up.  

If NIU is going to be such an easy win, rest Tre and let Wilbon and Oz go at it.  I also don't think they are burning Bradleys redshirt to play special teams.  I'm thinking he moves up significantly if Tre is out for more than one game.  Especially if Wilbon and Oz are having issues in certain aspects that have kept them off the field. 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, lo country said:

Does Davis get any credit for not having Wilbon or Oz more ready?  He's been their coach for 3 years and the same old pass catching, blitz pick up, insert reason why they aren't excelling comes up.  

If NIU is going to be such an easy win, rest Tre and let Wilbon and Oz go at it.  I also don't think they are burning Bradleys redshirt to play special teams.  I'm thinking he moves up significantly if Tre is out for more than one game.  Especially if Wilbon and Oz are having issues in certain aspects that have kept them off the field. 

hard to believe Oz has regressed so much?

8 hours ago, lo country said:

Good point about Davis. He often gets a pass because of all the talent at the position, but except for Tre things have been pretty blah the previous 2 years.

9 hours ago, lo country said:

To play Devil's Advocate, what type of credit would Davis deserve/not deserve for having a younger player more prepared than two older players (i.e. Tre vs. Wilbon/Oz?)

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

To play Devil's Advocate, what type of credit would Davis deserve/not deserve for having a younger player more prepared than two older players (i.e. Tre vs. Wilbon/Oz?)

Good point.  I guess I am judging th performance of the RB's since he has been here.  Mainly the RB by committee and no 1000 yard rusher yet. I understand that losing guys like AA, Rex and Roy really highlight or hide a coaches ability as well as hide other issues as it relates to the O as a hole i.e. OL play, QB play etc... 

It was only 34-26 at the end of the 3rd, and it took until about the 12 minute mark of the fourth to extend that lead to 41. Could you have sat Tre after that point when ASU kicked a field goal and Nebraska took over with about nine minutes left? Sure. But, that's a much easier decision to make in retrospect, and as it turned out, ASU was very much not under control.

All I'm saying is I don't think it was a very black and white situation.

49 minutes ago, lo country said:

Good point.  I guess I am judging th performance of the RB's since he has been here.  Mainly the RB by committee and no 1000 yard rusher yet. I understand that losing guys like AA, Rex and Roy really highlight or hide a coaches ability as well as hide other issues as it relates to the O as a hole i.e. OL play, QB play etc... 

RB play up until this season had been lackluster overall, so I agree with you there.

I can't personally say how much of it is coaching vs. talent. I think, from my perspective, it's fair to say that perhaps the talent was lacking. That doesn't mean the coaching couldn't have been lacking either. But, when a younger guy steps up over two other players, particularly one with more than 130 career carries, perhaps the talent was left wanting.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Enhance said:

It was only 34-26 at the end of the 3rd, and it took until about the 12 minute mark of the fourth to extend that lead to 41. Could you have sat Tre after that point when ASU kicked a field goal and Nebraska took over with about nine minutes left? Sure. But, that's a much easier decision to make in retrospect, and as it turned out, ASU was very much not under control.

All I'm saying is I don't think it was a very black and white situation.

The game felt completely in control at that point, I remember. All I'm saying is given all the info from Riley's presser Monday, and the feel of the game, it's just a stupid choice to use Tre that much in game one with out a consistent rotation, or a plan to pull him around 20 carries.

I rewatched the fist quarter and a half of Oregon, and notice he was slow to get up on a play and favoring his knee for a second, well before he was hurt in the second half.  I'm really curious what his issue is that they are comfortable playing him hard, but not addressing it through limiting reps, or fixing it in the offseason.