One UConn writer's take on the Bob Diaco era

kozzman555

Can you or one of the mods change the title of this topic?

This is not UConn's take on Bob Diaco. It was written by some random UConn fan.

As for my thoughts: Diaco isn't our head coach.

We've discussed his past at length here. We know he's eccentric. Almost none of what was written applies to his job here.

• Plus1 7

Moiraine's right - this is just a fan's blog, no different than any post here on HuskerBoard about our coaches.  Think of the complaints we heard about every coach since this board started - through the Callahan era, the Pelini era, now the Riley era.  From time to time we go back and talk about the Solich era and the Osborne era, and universally we find something to bitch about.

So this guy is a UConn fan, and he has problems with Diaco.  Stop me if you've heard complaints like this before about Nebraska coaches right here on HuskerBoard:

Diaco exhibited bad clock management in the Navy game.  Ever heard anyone complain about bad clock management on HuskerBoard?

Diaco created some fake rivalry that failed embarrassingly.  This was all Diaco, and it was a disaster. I remember reading about this and thinking it was really stupid.  It's funny the guy who did this ends up becoming our DC.  Here at Nebraska, we're familiar with fake rivalries - we had the Bill McCartney era at Colorado and today we have the corporate trophies with Iowa & Wisconsin that none of the three fan bases want. 

Diaco played the wrong quarterback.  This is the most common complaint about any coach, anywhere, any time, from any fan base.  Ever. 

Diaco didn't hire Jerry Kill.  There's a pretty compelling argument that UConn fired Diaco precisely because he didn't hire Jerry Kill and Rutgers did.  Rutgers & UConn are former Big East rivals, so it's understandable they'd be upset if their former rival hired a guy they wanted. But remember, this blog was supposed to be about Diaco's "antics and lies," not (purportedly) an analysis of his hiring decisions.  While this could be described as an "antic," it's no different than any other coaching decision, anywhere, ever. Just look at the wish lists we create here on HuskerBoard every time there's a vacancy, and all the complaints that erupt when we don't hire a guy we were never looking into.  Remember when we didn't hire Ed Orgeron? 

This blog reads to me like the threads we get on HuskerBoard when Nebraska loses. You barely know the names of the people who create them, and you forget what they wrote when the thread inevitably gets locked.

• Plus1 4

Some comments after the article -  I particularly like the understanding displayed in the last comment.  However I will add that one game a defense does not make.  Let's see what transpires in the next few weeks. 

Comments:

This article warms my heart.

I feel for Nebraska

It’s going to get worse before it gets better, but at least he’s not the HC.

Posted by manbyrd on Sep 7, 2017 | 1:07 PM

at least he's not the head coach...

is right. I honestly thought he’d do a fine job as a DC… so far not so good.

Almost pity the guy

The Huskers have the classiest fan base in college football but not a fan base to f with.

Posted by Tarsidea on Sep 8, 2017 | 1:16 AM

4 minutes ago, grandpasknee said:

How many fans who are willing to take Diaco's poor results in UConn as evidence he "sucks", but are willing to overlook Turner Gill's time at KU as "everything was against him".?  Just curious, and maybe my comparison is way off base.

While one cannot equate one situation exactly to another, there is always responsibility & accountability.  Turner knew that  KU was a 'coach meat grinder' going in.  The high road is to say "I gave it my best shot but it still wasn't good enough."  He can't control if the administration doesn't give him the resources to get KU to the next level nor if the administration takes responsibility of the same.  If KU continues to flounder and they will, then it will be seen that the major issue is administrative/resource related.  Some times vindication takes years to be proven out.   Why was Saben a so/so coach at MSU but successful at Bama?  Situations have different ingredients in making up the soup - so hard to compare experiences even in ones own life much less in comparison to another person's life.

14 minutes ago, grandpasknee said:

How many fans who are willing to take Diaco's poor results in UConn as evidence he "sucks", but are willing to overlook Turner Gill's time at KU as "everything was against him".?  Just curious, and maybe my comparison is way off base.

Personally, I buy into the notion that some people make for really good coordinators and don't necessarily make for really good head coaches. The responsibilities and control seem, on the surface at least, to be much different and more complex.

Circumstance, talent, resources, fan support, etc. are also all a factor, naturally.

34 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

While one cannot equate one situation exactly to another, there is always responsibility & accountability.  Turner knew that  KU was a 'coach meat grinder' going in.  The high road is to say "I gave it my best shot but it still wasn't good enough."  He can't control if the administration doesn't give him the resources to get KU to the next level nor if the administration takes responsibility of the same.  If KU continues to flounder and they will, then it will be seen that the major issue is administrative/resource related.  Some times vindication takes years to be proven out.   Why was Saben a so/so coach at MSU but successful at Bama?  Situations have different ingredients in making up the soup - so hard to compare experiences even in ones own life much less in comparison to another person's life.

TGHusker...you made the point much better than I was able to.  Gill's time at KU is not a sure indicator of his abilities, nor is Diaco's time at UConn.  Thanks for taking my rambling and making a coherent post.

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

Why do people continually try to rewrite history?  MSU hadn't had a winning record the five years prior to Saban coaching there.  Guess what, he never had a losing season while at MSU.  He finished 6-6 a couple of times, but never lost more games in a season than he won there.  It should also be pointed out that MSU was under NCAA sanctions for recruiting violations committed by the guy he replaced.  It should also be noted that Saban's final year at MSU (99') was the best record at MSU since 65'.  Yeah, that all sounds pretty so/so now doesn't it?  Just because he didn't win a NC at MSU doesn't mean in any way that his time at MSU was so/so.  The deck was completely stacked against him in terms of the culture, the sanctions, and how bad MSU had been.

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

Personally, I buy into the notion that some people make for really good coordinators and don't necessarily make for really good head coaches. The responsibilities and control seem, on the surface at least, to be much different and more complex.

Circumstance, talent, resources, fan support, etc. are also all a factor, naturally.

Bo Pelini is one of those people, imo.