Say Eichorst is fired

Red Five

11 hours ago, Hayseed said:

I thought Bill Byrne was the best AD we've had. He was kind of a snob but I think you have to seem that way because of the job requirements. I know a lot of people badmouthed him for various reasons but I don't believe any of them.

Once again....I'll say, Husker fans will hate the AD no matter who it is...unless they are a hall of fame football coach and even then, some will be iffy.  

Worth a read, because you could easily change 'NFL franchise owner' to 'college athletic director' (and possibly also conference commissioner).

The NFL is being devoured by its own economic model

There is a structural reason live audiences aren’t even necessary anymore: Ticket sales make up such a shrinking percentage of team revenue that the Rams and 49ers might as well play on sound stages, if you think they don’t already.

The NFL isn’t alone in this in sports, and not even in football, either. The disease of guaranteed revenue has bitten college football, too. Texas, the most profitable athletic program in the nation, is a prime example of the strange incentives huge profits can create within a sports franchise. The more money the program makes, the less consistent or important the quality of the product has been to the priorities of those at the top running the cash machine.

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, Toe said:

Rathman has been in San Francisco through multiple coaching changes. Doesn't seem to be any sign of him wanting to leave.

It's quite amazing when you think about it.  Pro sports are among the most competitive industries on the planet and the fact that Rathman has been able to survive multiple purges either speaks to his ability to get dirt on people or how he's valued in the organization.  Either way, a deserved hat tip to Mr. Rathman.

On 9/19/2017 at 9:02 PM, Thurston from Pender said:

Xmas32

1. Can UNO service the Baxter Arena debt?

2. Is UNO better off with its own arena rather than sharing with hated Creighton?

3. Are hockey crowds better at Baxter?

4. Is basketball better off at Baxter than wherever they were playing before? 

Just asking. You seem knowledgeable. 

I'm not sure UNO alone can service the debt without getting outside assistance from the University of Nebraska school system as a whole.  UNO will have to be really watch themselves on the spending.

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/baxter-arena-finishes-first-year-in-the-red-but-officials/article_f45f25d3-dc90-52a8-b5da-5a502e98b238.html

Honestly, I'm not sure.  Hockey is the big revenue sport and at least @ Century Link they were able to draw bigger crowds for marquee opponents.  I will say this, the atmosphere is a lot better @ Baxter.  Plus, selfishly, I live close to UNO so the location is a plus for me.

The scenery is much better but the crowds seem more sparse due to the extended space. I'm honestly not sure what the secret sauce is to drawing bigger crowds outside of winning basketball which Hansen has done a nice job in building.  Plus, they put an exciting product on the floor with the up tempo style.I know that with the arena they're trying to get to a mini Century Link feel and I really hope it succeeds because it is a gorgeous facility.