Offensive Predictability

Mavric

12 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

There is no deep threat, especially with Morgan dinged up.  Also, I don't know if the o-line can protect enough for the deep ball.

It does help having some height to be able to go get the ball. I know we lack in that department this year, but Steve Smith made a killing on deep plays and he is only 5'9. I think every once in a while DPE, JD, or Tyjon could beat their man for a deep vertical route to open things up 

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

It does help having some height to be able to go get the ball. I know we lack in that department this year, but Steve Smith made a killing on deep plays and he is only 5'9. I think every once in a while DPE, JD, or Tyjon could beat their man for a deep vertical route to open things up 

Yeah, we're sure stockpiled in the 5-10 WR department.

Also, I guess the other side of it is we may be calling that route.  But if it's not to Morgan the chances of Lee looking that way go down considerably.

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, Mavric said:

One would think Lindsey would be able to go deep.  I actually don't think Morgan is all that fast although you could throw up a 50/50 ball.

You don't really need to protect all that long.  A three-step drop with a quick pause and fire should be plenty to get a WR 35-40 yards down the field on a straight go route.

We could gain some time if the wide receivers started their routes without the choppy juke steps. I haven't watched for this in games but I saw videos of coach Dub teaching it. I seem to recall a coach correcting players that were doing specifically this and said it's accomplishing nothing. I don't think a CB is going to commit one way or the other if the wide receiver isn't moving forward. He'll just wait until the WR is done with his dance and then defend him.

2 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

We could gain some time if the wide receivers started their routes without the choppy juke steps. I haven't watched for this in games but I saw videos of coach Dub teaching it. I seem to recall a coach correcting players that were doing specifically this and said it's accomplishing nothing. I don't think a CB is going to commit one way or the other if the wide receiver isn't moving forward. He'll just wait until the WR is done with his dance and then defend him.

Most times corners are probs watching the QB/Looking in the backfield for their first few steps unless they are pressing 

29 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Honestly I don't know that Morgan is all that much of a deep threat.  He doesn't get much separation.  They might want to send Tyjon deep.  Also part of the problem is they are running two man routes on one side and a 1 man route on the other.. meaning you are getting a double team on the 1 man side because the safety is coming over to help.  And same thing on the other side. Basically 3 guarding 2 unless there is a blitz on.

Edit, Mav sent his two seconds before me 

Good point. The other problem with this is the one man side isn't usually in your progression. 87 was over there a lot, and the only time I recall him being targeted was on like a 5 yard in that was called back on the ineligible man penalty. 

13 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

The point of that is to defeat a press coverage. So the CB will be trying to lock up the WR at the line. It's not used outside of press coverage.

4 minutes ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

The point of that is to defeat a press coverage. So the CB will be trying to lock up the WR at the line. It's not used outside of press coverage.

I figured that but does it do any good? I would think a sharp angle around the CB would be better. Or big step one direction and cut back other way.  At least you're moving forward. Dancing in place seems like it would help the press coverage for what it's trying to do.  I don't know the correct answer but given how we've started the season I think it is fair to question everything the coaches are doing.

17 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

I figured that but does it do any good? I would think a sharp angle around the CB would be better. Or big step one direction and cut back other way.  At least you're moving forward. Dancing in place seems like it would help the press coverage for what it's trying to do.  I don't know the correct answer but given how we've started the season I think it is fair to question everything the coaches are doing.

The problem with a big step is if the CB engages  you during it the WR will more than likely be knocked off balance and mess up the timing of the route. As far as running around the CB that could work for some routes but you're just playing into what the defense wants you to do by changing the dynamics of the route. I'm personally more concerned with what a WR is doing with his hands to beat the press. That being said I'm no WR coach and don't know if chopping your feet is the most efficient thing to do, just my personal thoughts.

I agree with the last statement.

On 9/24/2017 at 11:28 PM, Mavric said:

I'm pretty convinced at this point that one of our biggest problems on offense - and there are plenty to go around - is that we are very predictable.  We seem to run an inordinately high percentage of our running plays from heavy sets and pass out of spread sets.

I didn't get to watch the game live yesterday.  But I quickly watched the replay on BTN2Go.  It seemed like about 90% of the time of first down we'd line up in a two TE or TE/FB set, motion a receiver in tight and run straight ahead.

I'll try to do a more in-depth review as I have time but here are some tweets from McKewon that anecdotally agree with that.  He's not focused on that but I think part of the reason why we're struggling with our blocking is the defense knows by our formation that there's a high probability a run is coming so they can stack the box and run blitz.

10 offensive guys in tight.

10 offensive guys in tight.

9 offensive guys in tight.

Yes, And I learned a new term from Jim Harbaugh:  Off Schedule Runs.  In other words mix it up and throw some runs in on what would be typical passing down and distance.  Like Penn St. kept mixing in late against Iowa with their excellent back.  We have got a back or two who can run with that guy.  Our backs are nothing to sneeze at.

22 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

Yes, And I learned a new term from Jim Harbaugh:  Off Schedule Runs.  In other words mix it up and throw some runs in on what would be typical passing down and distance.  Like Penn St. kept mixing in late against Iowa with their excellent back.  We have got a back or two who can run with that guy.  Our backs are nothing to sneeze at.

I'm sorry but we don't have any backs near the talent, size, and skill that Saquon Barkley. That's a laughable post. 

• Plus1 1
53 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I'm sorry but we don't have any backs near the talent, size, and skill that Saquon Barkley. That's a laughable post. 

And based on our offensive output (90th in nation)  I am left to surmise that our current coaches share this errant view.  

It is called the "Self Fulfilling Prophecy" and you should read about it.  Every educator and most coaches should know it.   

You give a great coach one year with any of our top backs and Sayquan Barkley would looking up to US.