Rimington named Interim AD

21 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

Haha.  I've been digging for the records too.  The RB you're referring to, the Pac12's  3rd career rushing leader, was actually a MR recruit it would appear and played his first season in MR's offense and ran for a 1,028 yards as a true freshman. 

He didn't get the vast majority of his yards, nor did he set the record under Riley.

And Armstrong is 13th in B1G career passing yards. That doesn't make him one of the B1G's all-time top 15 QBs.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, LaunchCode said:

I understand your concern, however I really don't think we are all that far away from seeing a prolific offense take shape

I think we're miles away. The passing game is just broken at this point, and when you break down the tape you see our run blocking is still atrocious at times, especially on zone plays. The 4th game isn't much different than the 1st....the backs are breaking tackles and making others look good. Even then, there aren't the big plays in the running game, and many attempts are lucky to make it back to the LOS.

That's with the easy part of the schedule being finished on Friday. The screen game isn't even worth mentioning, the passing game is horrible, and the running game is probably best described as adequate. There are no star players. I'm afraid the prognosis for the immediate future is pretty far from bring near prolific.

31 minutes ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

He didn't get the vast majority of his yards, nor did he set the record under Riley.

And Armstrong is 13th in B1G career passing yards. That doesn't make him one of the B1G's all-time top 15 QBs.

I was pretty clear when/how long he played for MR and gave the exact number of yards.

As for TA, yard totals are an objective measure just like W's and L's.  You point therefore is to say objective measures don't always tell the whole story.  Interesting.

3 or MR's QB's are in the league so not seeing where the comparison to TA is relevant unless you just wanted to get a dig in on TA.

36 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

Haha.  I've been digging for the records too.  The RB you're referring to, the Pac12's  3rd career rushing leader, was actually a MR recruit it would appear and played his first season in MR's offense and ran for a 1,028 yards as a true freshman. 

Riley's Conference top 20 leaders;

P12 career rushing leaders:

3rd OSU Kenny Simonton 5,044 yards

13th OSU Jacquizz Rodgers 3,877

14th OSU Yvenson Bernard 3,862

18th OSU Steven Jackson 3,625

QB's Pac 12 top 20 carreer passing leaders:

1st OSU Sean Mannion 13,600 yards

7th OSU Derek Andersen 11,249

20th OSU Jonathan Smith 9,680 (current university of washington offensive coordinator)

WRs Pac 12 top 20 carreer receptions leaders:

10th OSU Markus Wheaton 227

11th OSU Brandon Cooks 226 (Bilitnikoff winner)

12th OSU James Rodgers 222

15th OSU Mike Hass  220 (Bilitnikoff winner)

20th OSU James Newson 213

If he can produce that many top 20 all conference career leaders in rushing, passing, and reception while recruiting classes ranked in the 40's and 50's at Oregon State, it's exciting to think what he can and will do here with top 25 classes. 

He's about to have a qb set an interception record

• Plus1 1

37 minutes ago, brophog said:

I think we're miles away. The passing game is just broken at this point, and when you break down the tape you see our run blocking is still atrocious at times, especially on zone plays. The 4th game isn't much different than the 1st....the backs are breaking tackles and making others look good. Even then, there aren't the big plays in the running game, and many attempts are lucky to make it back to the LOS.

That's with the easy part of the schedule being finished on Friday. The screen game isn't even worth mentioning, the passing game is horrible, and the running game is probably best described as adequate. There are no star players. I'm afraid the prognosis for the immediate future is pretty far from bring near prolific.

The line play isn't as improved as it could be if we'd fielded the same line in all four games.  O-line is the most important unit on the field to have continuity for communication, and assignments and just knowing what to expect from the guy next to you takes time.  Given the constant changes in personnel, the line play is better than expected, but has much room to improve.  The schedule is irrelevant to me, we've been competing against ourselves up to this point.  Once we get out of our own way, the opponent doesn't matter. 

5 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

I was pretty clear when/how long he played for MR and gave the exact number of yards.

As for TA, yard totals are an objective measure just like W's and L's.  You point therefore is to say objective measures don't always tell the whole story.  Interesting.

3 or MR's QB's are in the league so not seeing where the comparison to TA is relevant unless you just wanted to get a dig in on TA.

Yea. He ran for 4,016 yards for a different coach.

Moving the goalposts are we? Who's the one that brought up OSU stats in a thread about Rimington?

There's that word again...

• Plus1 1
31 minutes ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

Yea. He ran for 4,016 yards for a different coach.

Moving the goalposts are we? Who's the one that brought up OSU stats in a thread about Rimington?

There's that word again...

Help me out, what was the goalpost you thought I moved? 

Let me help you out, here was my initial quote on the subject:

"There was something I read a while back showing several seasons under MR where he produced thousand plus yard rushers.  I think 3 or 4 of his OSU backs rank top 15 all time in the Pac 12 conference for rushing yards." 

Does Ken Simonton's 1,028 yard freshman season under MR not count or backup what I originally said as quoted above? 

10 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

The line play isn't as improved as it could be if we'd fielded the same line in all four games.  O-line is the most important unit on the field to have continuity for communication, and assignments and just knowing what to expect from the guy next to you takes time.  Given the constant changes in personnel, the line play is better than expected, but has much room to improve.  The schedule is irrelevant to me, we've been competing against ourselves up to this point.  Once we get out of our own way, the opponent doesn't matter. 

We have a lot of room for improvement, I agree on that.

23 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

Help me out, what was the goalpost you thought I moved? 

Does Ken Simonton's 1,028 yard freshman season under MR not count or backup what I originally said as quoted above? 

The one where you give Riley all this credit for his past players setting career records saying it proves he had good players at OSU and then I bring up a record TA set and you call it objective. When you play/start for 4 years its pretty easy to set career passing records if your offense passes a lot. Of the players you mentioned, Smith and Siminton only played their freshman year for Riley, Jackson his junior year, and Anderson his JR/SR year. BTW Anderson and Smith were both career 50% passers. Anderson threw 41 INTs under Riley in 2 years.

If he had set a single season record that year no doubt Riley gets 100% of the credit. But considering almost 3/4 of Siminton's yards came from under a different coach, there's no way I'd give Riley the majority of the credit. 

2 hours ago, LaunchCode said:

Riley's Conference top 20 leaders;

P12 career rushing leaders:

3rd OSU Kenny Simonton 5,044 yards

13th OSU Jacquizz Rodgers 3,877

14th OSU Yvenson Bernard 3,862

18th OSU Steven Jackson 3,625

QB's Pac 12 top 20 carreer passing leaders:

1st OSU Sean Mannion 13,600 yards

7th OSU Derek Andersen 11,249

20th OSU Jonathan Smith 9,680 (current university of washington offensive coordinator)

WRs Pac 12 top 20 carreer receptions leaders:

10th OSU Markus Wheaton 227

11th OSU Brandon Cooks 226 (Bilitnikoff winner)

12th OSU James Rodgers 222

15th OSU Mike Hass  220 (Bilitnikoff winner)

20th OSU James Newson 213

If he can produce that many top 20 all conference career leaders in rushing, passing, and reception while recruiting classes ranked in the 40's and 50's at Oregon State, it's exciting to think what he can and will do here with top 25 classes. 

It's his 3rd season and the offense he's put out there for us is 79th in rush ypg, 66th in ppg, 90th in total ypg and tied with the most interceptions in college football. Also all those passing records his teams broke at Oregon St are most likely thanks to having to play from behind because of having Banker's defenses.

tumblr_mmihkn3PkE1spiuxqo1_500.gif

• Plus1 3