Rimington named Interim AD

6 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Probably but part of me thinks the decision about Riley has already been made and maybe the new guy takes the job to find a coach and not to evaluate if we need another coach. It's like spring time for the permanent AD. 

I think it's definitely a "what we've seen so far isn't good enough" situation.  But I don't know that they've completely ruled out Riley coming back.  Definitely an uphill battle but I think they'll let the new AD make an evaluation and they'll all decide from there.

I don't think Green/Bounds would have been on the sidelines talking to recruits and families like at least one of them was Saturday (can't remember which) if he was definitely gone.

1 minute ago, krc1995 said:

Time will tell I guess. Dave seems like a solid interim to quell the masses and buy time. His regular job must be very flexible to allow him to undertake such a venture but maybe this gig generates exposure for the foundation so win/win 

Rimington was brought up the afternoon Eichorst was fired, so Green and Bounds probably came up with the agreement last week, and allowed Dave to get all the ducks in a row for 2 months at his current gig.  There are probably some big Esiason Foundatoin fundraisers that he will miss, but he had a few days to get things set up with his #2 guy there before flying to Nebraska yesterday and working out the final details with NU last night/this morning.

Press conference didn't last long.  Here are the highlights.

--He loves Nebraska, and will do anything he can do to help

--He's here for interim only.  Not interested in full time AD job.

--He's not here to fire anybody, he is here to calm things down

--Dave wants to improve the walk-on program and bettering relationships with former players

--Would like to have a "small influence" at least on who the permanent AD is going to be

--Rimington has 2 years left with the Esiason Foundation before he wants to retire from there.  May be interested in coming back to NU to help out in some capacity

--Green called Dave on Thursday morning approaching him with the idea of being interim AD.  Worked out the details in a meeting over the weekend.

--Green looked to Dave because Green wanted an outside influence/observer

• Plus1 3

Just now, 4skers89 said:

I guess we have to believe what he says on his desire to be here short term.  

I think Green and Rimington both made it pretty clear that this is a 2-month deal.  Rimington is still working with Boomer at the Esiason Foundation.  Now, Rimington could just kill it as the Interim AD and get offered the full-time gig, but it sounds like Dave doesn't want it.  Boomer is basically Dave's best friend.  Dave wouldn't want to ruin that long relationship by turning his back on the Esiason Foundation.

1 minute ago, grandpasknee said:

Kudos to whoever the reporter is that asked it if was possible he could also be the interim center for this Friday night's game...that made me spit soda.

Sounded like Barfknecht