Rimington named Interim AD

OK, swell, but he only has 60 days. How well will he get to know anyone?   There's 50 coaches and staffers on the football team alone.  There's no way he can "get to know" even 1/10th of the people on staff in that amount of time if he's going to do all the other duties an Athletic Director is supposed to do.

I just remain baffled by this move.  All of the things they're saying have to be coach-speak, or he's going to be the full-time AD, or some other problem is about to come to light that requires a leader. 

10 minutes ago, knapplc said:

OK, swell, but he only has 60 days. How well will he get to know anyone?   There's 50 coaches and staffers on the football team alone.  There's no way he can "get to know" even 1/10th of the people on staff in that amount of time if he's going to do all the other duties an Athletic Director is supposed to do.

I just remain baffled by this move.  All of the things they're saying have to be coach-speak, or he's going to be the full-time AD, or some other problem is about to come to light that requires a leader. 

All the day to day administrative AD stuff that Eichorst might have done will be passed on to other people within the athletic department.  Rimington will basically just be an ambassador to the athletic department for the coaches, players, and alumni/former players.  Actually, the last group may be the most important people he will deal with, as he will need to be a calming influence on boosters and be able to meet and BS with former players.  Other than that, he will probably walk around, observe things, and then report those observations to Green and Bounds.

• Plus1 1

14 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

All the day to day administrative AD stuff that Eichorst might have done will be passed on to other people within the athletic department.  Rimington will basically just be an ambassador to the athletic department for the coaches, players, and alumni/former players.  Actually, the last group may be the most important people he will deal with, as he will need to be a calming influence on boosters and be able to meet and BS with former players.  Other than that, he will probably walk around, observe things, and then report those observations to Green and Bounds.

Sure, that's probably the deal, but we couldn't have one of our umpteen Associate Athletic Directors do that?

Is the ship really running so lean that we HAVE TO have a body in there for two months and can't have someone already in the program do that stuff?  I kinda doubt that.

Just now, knapplc said:

Sure, that's probably the deal, but we couldn't have one of our umpteen Associate Athletic Directors do that?

Is the ship really running so lean that we HAVE TO have a body in there for two months and can't have someone already in the program do that stuff?  I kinda doubt that.

Green and Bounds wanted to get a person outside the current athletic department to make observations and reports.  A person currently inside the program isn't going to be likely to tell Green and Bounds all the crappy stuff that was going on.

15 hours ago, LaunchCode said:

I wish I could locate it again, but I don't remember where I saw it.  There was something I read a while back showing several seasons under MR where he produced thousand plus yard rushers.  I think 3 or 4 of his OSU backs rank top 15 all time in the Pac 12 conference for rushing yards.  Several of his QB's were conference passing leaders, I think one is THE all time record holder, and his offense also produced several WR's who made NFL rosters.  Two won Bilitnikof awards for nations best college receiver.  He did that with recruiting classes ranked in the 40's.  He can do a lot better here and has so far in recruiting.

We know Nebraska can attract and recruit great O-linemen and running backs.  MR has now shown we can also attract top WR's and Pro-style QB's as well.  The downside to his system is getting the QB past the thinking stage and to the subconscious read and react stage.  I think the first three games this year leaned heavily on the pass for the primary reason of getting Lee live game rep experience to help accelerate his command of the offense and get him closer to the read and react stage.  MR's history shows he likes to and will run the ball and when teams respect his QB's effectiveness there's not much they can do to stop the run without giving up big plays in the passing game.  A little better play from the line, the WR's and Lee and we are right there with the backs we have.

I understand your concern, however I really don't think we are all that far away from seeing a prolific offense take shape.  One that can produce rushing leaders, passing leaders, and reception leaders.  Several pieces are in place, game experience and learning are the final steps needed before it can blast off.  There's no teacher like experience and that does take some time.  

Where are the pro style QBs!!!! We have one of the worst QBs of all time chucking interceptions at a record pace, and MR will not sit him!

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

I understand what they said, but again, in 60 days Rimington won't even be able to put names to faces for everyone.  No way he's going to be able to make any kind of in-depth report on the inner workings of the department in that time frame. 

Rimington is probably going to take a big picture point of view on his review of the athletic department.  Who cares if he won't have time get to know every single employee.  Rimington has experience running a foundation with hundreds of millions of dollars.  He's used to taking a big picture POV of running a large business.  Those CEO types aren't going to want to meet every single person.

He will be in his office or around the facilities a few hours a day, probably meet a former teammate or current coach for lunch, and then meet another teammate or booster for dinner.  I wouldn't be surprised if he uses this time to try and get further donations to the Boomer Esiason Foundation.  I think you are making his responsibilities out to be more than what they will actually be.

33 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I understand what they said, but again, in 60 days Rimington won't even be able to put names to faces for everyone.  No way he's going to be able to make any kind of in-depth report on the inner workings of the department in that time frame. 

I read it as a move to appease the masses. Put a temporary (familiar) face on the program. About has to be. I think Rimington is a smart man, who would make a great full-time AD, but as you said, what can he do in 60 days?

26 minutes ago, knapplc said:

That tweet has nothing to do with why I don't understand this hire.  It was just another thought, and probably shouldn't have been included in that post. 

I wonder if grabbing him from the outside, rather than one of the many people already on staff is to just send a not-so-subtle message that things ARE going to change and that Greene / Bounds see the whole organization as being under scrutiny.  Who knows.  I just like DR, so I stopped at that.  Now you've got me wondering!  :-)