Trump's Tax Plan

sho

18 hours ago, Comfortably Numb said:

What a joke on so many levels. Look at the last couple pages of “discussion”.....is that what is desired? And how can anyone have a rational discussion with a Trump supporter? Talk about an oxymoron. Sure opposing views would generally be a welcome thing, and maybe it actually is on this tax topic but there are extremely darned few hereabouts who really want to have a genuine honest to goodness discussion with anyone who supports anything related to Trump at this point in time. I know I don’t want to. Hell this tax bill issue is about as close as I can come to not vomiting over anything this administration has done and I’m about as conservative as they come and I actually aligned fairly well with the Republican Party up until about 2 years ago and even though this bill will likely benefit me personally on my tax return I’m smart enough to know it’s bad legislation and will be bad for the country. Sorry but if the opposing views you desire come with the baggage of people supporting this farce of a President, count me out.

Brother, we have been walking the same path. 

The sarcastic, cynical part of me believes that all of these companies giving immediate raises and bonus to their employees after the tax cut were set up by Trump/Congress to do so (or Koch Brothers) and will be getting some Christmas candy behind the scene in regulatory benefits, govt contracts, etc.   While the tax cut may benefit me short term - I'm looking retirement in the face in a few years and I cringe in how they may ''pay" for this later.  As a conservative, I realized the Repubs have given up any pretense of being a conservative party or have any goal of balancing the budget.  The one of the biggest losers in this are the Tea Party voters who thought they were voting for limited gov't back in 2010, 14, 16 - they instead get a govt intent on spending like a drunken sailor (I was going to say democrat  but I think the Dems would be more fiscally wise than this group) while selling off parts of the boat to its corp friends thinking that will pay for their spending.   At this point no Tea Party voter has the right to be critical of deficits created by the past administration.  They should only grieve how the republicans have deceived them into thinking that things would be different.

The CBO projected higher deficits even prior to the passage of this bill  - back in June

https://www.cbo.gov/publication/52801

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/12/20/deficit-could-hit-1-trillion-2018-and-thats-before-full-impact-tax-cuts/969347001/

2018 could be the year the dam bursts on the federal deficit.

Back in June, the Congressional Budget Office projected that the budget deficit — government expenses exceeding revenues — would drop to $563 billion in 2018 from the $666 billion shortfall the Treasury Department declared in the 2017 fiscal year, which ended Sept. 30.

Now budget experts outside government say the 2018 total could exceed $1 trillion because of series of bills being passed in quick succession, and decisions to scrap what were already weak limits on spending.

The tax package Congress sent to President Trump will cut government revenues by $135 billion in 2018, a figure that rises to $280 billion in 2019, according to the Joint Committee on Taxation.

On top of that, Congress approved emergency disaster aid bills totaling $15 billion in September, $36.5 billion in October, and this week is arguing over adding another $81 billion to address California wildfires and Hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Maria. Barring any last minute decision to pay for it, that spending will be added to the 2018 deficit.

NYT addresses the deficit issue. 

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/11/28/us/politics/tax-bill-deficits.html

• Plus1 2
7 hours ago, ZRod said:

The biggest travesty in all this, as we all well know, is zero cuts in spending...

Don't worry, it's on its way.  Plenty of insult to add to the injury. 

More for the military. Less for social services. That sounds right to a lot of people, and kinda makes sense on paper — if you think a balanced budget is the missing cure.

But the problem with running a society like a business is that it doesn't work for society, and it's not really a good business model, either. We are pursuing massive government directives with extraordinarily lazy and poorly substantiated cost to benefit analysis. No major corporation would proceed as recklessly as Trump and the GOP Congress on matters with such a direct, long-term affect on the bottom line. 

Well on second thought, some would. That's how we got the 2008 global credit meltdown, in which the taxpayers who were hurt the most bailed out the guilty perpetrators, who were already insanely wealthy. 

It's easy to depict social services as inner city crack moms buying cigarettes with food stamps. It's harder to show how social services directly benefits entrepreneurial Capitalism. That's why the stupidest memes usually win. 

The spending cuts will be a bloodbath of what used to make America great. 

• Plus1 4

My fear is that the only thing that will wake up most Trump supporters is disaster caused by him. It has to be something unquestionably caused by him. 

Thats either her bad ear in NK that nobody comes to help with because we pissed off all allies, or devistating recession caused by banks failing with deregulation. 

5 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I don’t support this bill, but, I would have to see the methodology behind that graphic to believe it. 

5 hours ago, Big Red 40 said:

I think this is really what the tax bill is all about. Anything else that happened was fluff added to justify the real purpose.

25497996_1538751556210679_7923612659965538345_n.jpg

Goes both ways. JPMorgan was another financial institution that was heavily involved in Hillary’s campaign. Dimon loved her and even had threatening emails sent out about any contributions toward Trump. Would be willing to bet that 3-5 of those on the list have higher contributions to Democrats over that time. 

10 hours ago, HuskerNBigD said:

Goes both ways. JPMorgan was another financial institution that was heavily involved in Hillary’s campaign. Dimon loved her and even had threatening emails sent out about any contributions toward Trump. Would be willing to bet that 3-5 of those on the list have higher contributions to Democrats over that time. 

Isn't that kind of beside the point?

No Democrat just voted for the handouts these companies are going to get.

• Plus1 2