The Iron N is calling for a BLACK0UT against Wisconsin

knapplc

My thoughts are probably similar to many others.

I don't have any problem with a b******* in theory. If I felt confident that 80 percent of the stadium would be in black, then I'd be all for it. The problem is that too many people won't get the memo. Not all, but many fans are in their 60s or 70s and don't use social media or post on message boards.

To get something like this to work, meaning the whole stadium as opposed to just the student section, it needs to be planned out months ahead of time. The university has to be involved and sending notes to season ticket holders that the game will be a b*******. They also need people at the doors of the stadium giving out free black shirts to the people that are wearing different colors. Or maybe they just need 90,000 black shirts placed on every seat in the whole stadium.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Hans Gruber said:

My thoughts are probably similar to many others.

I don't have any problem with a b******* in theory. If I felt confident that 80 percent of the stadium would be in black, then I'd be all for it. The problem is that too many people won't get the memo. Not all, but many fans are in their 60s or 70s and don't use social media or post on message boards.

To get something like this to work, meaning the whole stadium as opposed to just the student section, it needs to be planned out months ahead of time. The university has to be involved and sending notes to season ticket holders that the game will be a b*******. They also need people at the doors of the stadium giving out free black shirts to the people that are wearing different colors. Or maybe they just need 90,000 black shirts placed on every seat in the whole stadium.

It would be obvious to put it right on the season tickets we get as season ticket holders.  Make the ticket black (with white lettering) for the  "Black Out Game" and then work with their vendors at Fanatics or Follett to get a T-shirt to put on every seat.  Then, get the black pom poms to hand out and hand out black balloons and not red.  Go all out.  Not this Monday before the game crap that only gets to about 20% of the potential fan base.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Landlord said:

There's a difference between being, by definition, an amateur, and doing things consistent with a quality described as amateur :P

True. And they probably have advisors from UNL or at least the AD, but by & large they're going to have leeway to do things as they see fit, including this (admittedly) half-baked idea on terribly short notice.

But when I was in college, planning most anything beyond two days in advance was a foreign thing.  So I'll go pretty easy on them, especially since school stuff should come first.

4 minutes ago, 10_point_buck said:

It would be obvious to put it right on the season tickets we get as season ticket holders.  Make the ticket black (with white lettering) for the  "Black Out Game" and then work with their vendors at Fanatics or Follett to get a T-shirt to put on every seat.  Then, get the black pom poms to hand out and hand out black balloons and not red.  Go all out.  Not this Monday before the game crap that only gets to about 20% of the potential fan base.

That would be the way to do it. 

5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

True. And they probably have advisors from UNL or at least the AD, but by & large they're going to have leeway to do things as they see fit, including this (admittedly) half-baked idea on terribly short notice.

But when I was in college, planning most anything beyond two days in advance was a foreign thing.  So I'll go pretty easy on them, especially since school stuff should come first.

Well, maybe Homecoming might have a week of planning, but then things like that gets more girls involved.

48 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Well seeing how I founded and was president of the student section official organization in college, and would have never been soooooo stupid, and also seeing how much cool stuff they're capable of with the tifo banners and such, I expect better damnit!

Is this your first official "Back in MY day..." post?

• Plus1 5

I agree the consensus that this could've used some better planning.  For the future, they could take a book out of what Mississippi State does which is super helpful.  They post up a 'what to wear' on their website and I wouldn't be surprised if some kind of flyer doesn't get distributed with season tickets.  It's pretty slick.

I also agree that the university needs to get involved for large scale promotions like this.  You see it all the time with NBA teams during the playoffs.  There is a shirt for every seat.

http://www.hailstate.com/documents/2017/6/5/What2Wear_Poster_2017.pdf

On 10/2/2017 at 11:13 AM, RedDenver said:

I hear what you're saying, but The Sea of Red is already a tradition.

There is always someone who wants to make a change for the sake of change just so they can say they caused it.  There must be a reason for it to catch on.  And someone, mostly an anonymous someone on the internet, suggesting it is usually not reason enough to make 90,000 people to do it. 

1 hour ago, raw1 said:

We do not need Memorial Stadium to be black.  We need our quarterback to not throw interceptions and our coaching staff to not get outcoached by their opponents.  Then we may win. 

This is a non-sequiter in the most non sequiter sort of way imaginable, but even if it wasn't, it's not a matter of what we 'need'; especially not for the student section. It's a matter of what's fun and what can get people more excited than they would be otherwise.

• Plus1 1