In this week's game, the Huskers are the program's biggest home underdog since 1974.

Whether we receive or kick off to start the game, what I want is to at least convert a couple of first downs on our first offensive series and play field position against them in the first quarter.

How many times do we go 3 & out on our first offensive series in big games in recent memory?! Really frustrating.

Also, I really wish Bryant was completely healthy. Wilbon and Ozigbo are good backs, but I really think that Bryant is special. I imagine this game would be different (to at least some degree) if he didn't have the knee trouble.

4 hours ago, junior4949 said:

Turnovers and time of possession will be how this game is won or lost.  If Diaco brings some heat and forces three and outs, we have a puncher's chance as long as Lee isn't handing the ball right back. 

I think those two are important.

But, I think it's going to come down to the team that doesn't screw up and allow the other team to have one or two big plays.

I'm not just talking about Nebraska.  Wisconsin is a well disciplined team.  But, they aren't perfect.

16 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I think those two are important.

But, I think it's going to come down to the team that doesn't screw up and allow the other team to have one or two big plays.

I'm not just talking about Nebraska.  Wisconsin is a well disciplined team.  But, they aren't perfect.

Hornibrook threw a couple bad INTs last week and they fumbled on their first play I believe. Would be nice to see that Wisconsin on Saturday.

• Plus1 2

National perception is ............we suck.   I guess we either prove them right or wrong.  Home underdog.  Hook of a game.  I believe we cover, and cover easily.  Cant guarantee we win, but don't think its a double digit game by any means.  I can see a game like 17-20 or 20-24 win or lose.  I think our crowd will have us amped enough to keep things close

15 hours ago, junior4949 said:

Turnovers and time of possession will be how this game is won or lost.  

Turnovers, yes. Strong Correlation to victory.

Time of possession? No. There is some correlation to victory, though not strong, but it is not causal. It's what is referred to as an inverse correlation. Being in the state of winning leads to a higher time of possession rather than time of possession leading to winning. (Rushing yards are another example of this phenomenon.)

It's pretty simple to see why. Football is an alternate possession sport. If you score, you give the other team the ball. While it is often said that you can't score if you don't have the ball, it's also technically true that you can't score AND keep the ball....since the moment you score you have to surrender the ball. If you're simply holding the ball and building T.O.P. then you're preventing both teams from scoring. Certainly useful in situations where you're already ahead but only situationally useful when you're not. 

To be honest, time of possession is a pretty useless stat. It's a secondary stat because it is the product of other stats, and such secondary stats are neither worthwhile goals nor good indicators for success.

My first game as a student after getting out of the Army was Washington State, 1977.  I think we were rated 15th or so.  They were unranked.  Final score >> W. State 19 - Nebraska 10.  I was absolutely stunned, could hardly move my legs to leave the stadium.  Not sure how big of an underdog W. State was, but I bet it was close to what we are this weekend.

And that is why they tee up the ball and play the game.

Note:  On a much happier thought, the Huskers upset #2 Alabama the next week in Lincoln.  I can still feel the electricity from that game.

14 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

National perception is ............we suck.   I guess we either prove them right or wrong.  Home underdog.  Hook of a game.  I believe we cover, and cover easily.  Cant guarantee we win, but don't think its a double digit game by any means.  I can see a game like 17-20 or 20-24 win or lose.  I think our crowd will have us amped enough to keep things close

Hmmm, that national perception sounds a helluva lot like the in state perception as well.  I'm not surprised to see this at all- if Wisconsin hands it to us would any one be shocked to see the Ohio State line approach 15+ status?  I certainly would not

4 hours ago, grandpasknee said:

My first game as a student after getting out of the Army was Washington State, 1977.  I think we were rated 15th or so.  They were unranked.  Final score >> W. State 19 - Nebraska 10.  I was absolutely stunned, could hardly move my legs to leave the stadium.  Not sure how big of an underdog W. State was, but I bet it was close to what we are this weekend.

And that is why they tee up the ball and play the game.

Note:  On a much happier thought, the Huskers upset #2 Alabama the next week in Lincoln.  I can still feel the electricity from that game.

I was there for both games, too (my second year).  I got to the stadium early for the Alabama game and I could feel the electricity build from the beginning.

I didn't go to too many games after that (besides it was getting cold and I hate the cold).  I discovered Dungeons and Dragons, found a group playing in the basement (how proverbial ) of one of the dorms and it was downhill from there on.  :D    (now I own a game store in sunny and hot south Florida)