Do we have better athletes (across the board) than UCF?

This has been posted as a topic already. 

Position by position we probably aren't more talented for each one. But overall we have more talent. Quite a bit more I'm guessing. That and more depth.

But I define talent as potential before getting to college. Frost is working with less potential but, so far, doing more with it. So his players may look more "talented."

• Plus1 1

Perhaps more "speed", but per the recruiting services, no.  Another thing is a staff maximizing their personnel on hand.  Coaching and developing that talent and playing to their strengths within the current scheme.....

Frost does have a "talent" pool in Florida.  BUT he is recruiting against the likes of Richt, Jimbo, McElwain, Strong etc....not to mention the SEC, ACC etc.....It's not like he is the only show in town.  Dude flat gets after it.  

He came in with a vision that the kids bought into.  He is recruiting to and deleting the team for this and the results are speaking for themselves.  In year 2, one year removed form going 0-12.....

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

This has been posted as a topic already. 

Position by position we probably aren't more talented for each one. But overall we have more talent. Quite a bit more I'm guessing. That and more depth.

But I define talent as potential before getting to college. Frost is working with less potential but, so far, doing more with it. So his players may look more "talented."

Yeah, that last paragraph....good point. That is probably an important distinction to be made.

11 minutes ago, lo country said:

Perhaps more "speed", but per the recruiting services, no.  Another thing is a staff maximizing their personnel on hand.  Coaching and developing that talent and playing to their strengths within the current scheme.....

Frost does have a "talent" pool in Florida.  BUT he is recruiting against the likes of Richt, Jimbo, McElwain, Strong etc....not to mention the SEC, ACC etc.....It's not like he is the only show in town.  Dude flat gets after it.  

He came in with a vision that the kids bought into.  He is recruiting to and deleting the team for this and the results are speaking for themselves.  In year 2, one year removed form going 0-12.....

Im a huge believer in speed, are you?

I know you from Huskermax, and if I recall correctly, you are an older fan who was around for the Osborne era. If so, then you'll recall how the focus on recruiting speed across the board was a significant factor in helping the good Doctor get over the hump and start knocking off the teams from Florida.

I am not suggesting that recruiting speed would be a silver bullet for us, but when I look at our team we look slow across the board. I think that if we went back to the drawing board  with our recruiting philosophy and took a page out of the shift Osborne made, that it would pay immense dividends.

3 minutes ago, speedtoburn said:

Im a huge believer in speed, are you?

I know you from Huskermax, and if I recall correctly, you are an older fan who was around for the Osborne era. If so, then you'll recall how the focus on recruiting speed across the board was a significant factor in helping the good Doctor get over the hump and start knocking off the teams from Florida.

I am not suggesting that recruiting speed would be a silver bullet for us, but when I look at our team we look slow across the board. I think that if we went back to the drawing board  with our recruiting philosophy and took a page out of the shift Osborne made, that it would pay immense dividends.

Haha.  That's me from back in the day.  There's some on here from the old pedia days......

Speed kills.  Pure and simple.  It covers up a lot if deficiencies.  Out of position on coverage, speed allows this to be negated. Holes don't have to be open as long, tackles can kick out faster etc....Blitzes get home more often than not etc....

Bobby Bowden was the one who helped TO with the mystery of speed.  IIRC, we traded strength training for the "secret".  Both guys respected each other tremendously.  Read an article that Booby turned TO onto the Florida speed so he'd steal guys away form Miami and UF and Bobby wouldnt have to play them every year. 

McBride sad they recruited speed, tackling and then size on the D.....If a guy couldn't run, he wasn't recruited.  Safeties to LB, LB to DE etc.....speed everywhere at every position.  It worked then and works now.  

IMO, in or current 3-4, the OLB have gotta be able to cover a lot of ground and quickly.  Not just vertically, but laterally as well.  We are missing this.  Same with an "elite" pass rusher.  Elite really is a nice way to say fast. Look at Super D in 2003....Dude was a LB moved to DE (passing) who tee'd off on QB's weekly...(Linebacker Demorrio Williams played a dominant role on the Blackshirt defense by finishing second on the team in total tackles, while leading the Huskers in sacks, tackles for loss, quarterback hurries and fumble recoveries, setting the tone for one of the nation's top defenses.)

Like you, not sure if it's the "silver bullet", but we look slower than the current crop of elite teams and its reflected in our W-L record. It definitely wouldn't hurt us to get more speed.  

4 hours ago, lo country said:

Haha.  That's me from back in the day.  There's some on here from the old pedia days......

Speed kills.  Pure and simple.  It covers up a lot if deficiencies.  Out of position on coverage, speed allows this to be negated. Holes don't have to be open as long, tackles can kick out faster etc....Blitzes get home more often than not etc....

Bobby Bowden was the one who helped TO with the mystery of speed.  IIRC, we traded strength training for the "secret".  Both guys respected each other tremendously.  Read an article that Booby turned TO onto the Florida speed so he'd steal guys away form Miami and UF and Bobby wouldnt have to play them every year. 

McBride sad they recruited speed, tackling and then size on the D.....If a guy couldn't run, he wasn't recruited.  Safeties to LB, LB to DE etc.....speed everywhere at every position.  It worked then and works now.  

IMO, in or current 3-4, the OLB have gotta be able to cover a lot of ground and quickly.  Not just vertically, but laterally as well.  We are missing this.  Same with an "elite" pass rusher.  Elite really is a nice way to say fast. Look at Super D in 2003....Dude was a LB moved to DE (passing) who tee'd off on QB's weekly...(Linebacker Demorrio Williams played a dominant role on the Blackshirt defense by finishing second on the team in total tackles, while leading the Huskers in sacks, tackles for loss, quarterback hurries and fumble recoveries, setting the tone for one of the nation's top defenses.)

Like you, not sure if it's the "silver bullet", but we look slower than the current crop of elite teams and its reflected in our W-L record. It definitely wouldn't hurt us to get more speed.  

Word.