What did we learn? (Game 6 - Wisconsin)

4 minutes ago, saunders45 said:

Recruiting talk, hype videos, media fluff pieces.

Yup it is all propaganda. Shoot, I feel like live in North Korea the way the athletic department paints the football program.

"lockdown U" "CALIBRASKA"... give me a break already,  how about " at Nebraska, we don't talk, we just run the damn ball, play fundamentally sound football, protect the rock, and our coaches don't throw on 3 and 2 in the redzone...."

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, suh_fan93 said:

How do we win the off-season?

Oh, we won the off-season big time!

We had MR, who in this year was to really have his scheme and plan in place.

We attracted some great recruits and made such inroads into California that we are now called "Calibraska."

We got a top notch defensive coordinator, Bob Diaco, who was the best when he was at ND for his years.  His 3-4 system would correct our issues.

We had another Top 20 recruiting class while Wisky was 35.

We now had a transfer QB, heck, he will probably be a Heisman candidate.

My favorite, is the belief on our own board about how we would be 9-3 or better.  Heck, if everything really fell into place, we might go 10-2.

Above are some of the RED KOOL-AID comments I can recall.  Hey, with the above as "true" ... we definitely won the off-season (no delusion at all).  :-(

• Plus1 2

I don't care if we recruit 5 star or 4 star wideouts,  those dudes are a dime a dozen, go out and find a damn good d and o line and develop those kids. With a good o-line protecting a qb and creating a running lane, any half decent athlete will get open regardless of being a four star.. success starts in the trenches. Mike Riley doen't get it, and neither does uncle fester his o line coach

• Plus1 3
8 minutes ago, timmytbro said:

I don't care if we recruit 5 star or 4 star wideouts,  those dudes are a dime a dozen, go out and find a damn good d and o line and develop those kids. With a good o-line protecting a qb and creating a running lane, any half decent athlete will get open regardless of being a four star.. success starts in the trenches. Mike Riley doen't get it, and neither does uncle fester his o line coach

I would prefer to have the best OL in the nation rather than the Heisman winner. Give me the best OL and DL, and I guarantee a top 10 finish with members from this board playing receiver, QB and corner.  

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

Oh, we won the off-season big time!

We had MR, who in this year was to really have his scheme and plan in place.

We attracted some great recruits and made such inroads into California that we are now called "Calibraska."

We got a top notch defensive coordinator, Bob Diaco, who was the best when he was at ND for his years.  His 3-4 system would correct our issues.

We had another Top 20 recruiting class while Wisky was 35.

We now had a transfer QB, heck, he will probably be a Heisman candidate.

My favorite, is the belief on our own board about how we would be 9-3 or better.  Heck, if everything really fell into place, we might go 10-2.

Above are some of the RED KOOL-AID comments I can recall.  Hey, with the above as "true" ... we definitely won the off-season (no delusion at all).  :-(

Yup. Remember.... Bo's guy's were holding the program back (Poor Tommy took the brunt), and Riley's guys and new shiny DC along with vastly improved recruiting* would pay dividends.

Welp...

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, timmytbro said:

Actually, I agree with your post ... and sort of disagree.  IMHO, Nebraska has forgotten who they are.  Somewhere within the AD they somehow don't believe our tradition of success is built off the system developed for the OL's and DL's, or that that type of smash mouth football of running and upfront pressure on defense works to win titles.  

MR can only implement what he knows.  He's doing what he has always done.  It's the big boys in the AD that have had a strong enough belief in what they think "restores the order" that they brought in MR.  

We need old fashioned Cornfed lineman.  And we have one of those on K-states O-line starting ?  Its starts with recruiting our in state products first.  Noah Fant?  Vedral?  We do have some decent players in state and they are going out of state.  These are the types of kids who have passion for the program.  

The next coach has got too keep our in state talent here.  I know Fant chose Iowa over Nebraska.  That should never happen though.

• Plus1 2
19 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

Actually, I agree with your post ... and sort of disagree.  IMHO, Nebraska has forgotten who they are.  Somewhere within the AD they somehow don't believe our tradition of success is built off the system developed for the OL's and DL's, or that that type of smash mouth football of running and upfront pressure on defense works to win titles.  

MR can only implement what he knows.  He's doing what he has always done.  It's the big boys in the AD that have had a strong enough belief in what they think "restores the order" that they brought in MR.  

You make me believe there is a mysterious group of people in the AD that are calling these shots.  There was one "big boy" making these decisions.  He's gone.

@4skers89, you are correct.  Thus, the AD made that decision and their are Regents I believe who bring in that AD.  Whoever the hell these people are don't seem to understand our tradition.  They certainly can't say what we did back then won't work today.  Just look at what Wisky did to us again yesterday.  The Nebraska football tradition and system does work.  Wisky is 37-9 over the past 4 years I believe with recruiting averaging in the bottom 30 to low 40's in the nation.

11 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

@4skers89, you are correct.  Thus, the AD made that decision and their are Regents I believe who bring in that AD.  Whoever the hell these people are don't seem to understand our tradition.  They certainly can't say what we did back then won't work today.  Just look at what Wisky did to us again yesterday.  The Nebraska football tradition and system does work.  Wisky is 37-9 over the past 4 years I believe with recruiting averaging in the bottom 30 to low 40's in the nation.

I chose not to watch the game last night because I knew what was coming and you can't make me!  One thing to consider about Wisky's success is to look at where their recruits come from, particularly the linemen.  I think you'll find that most are from Wisconsin.  Is that something we have now?  Back in the pipeline days we could also attract out of state players because they wanted to be coached by the best and play for championships.

Yet we insisted on moving one of our starting corners to safety in the off-season and stubbornly refused to move him back after losing our best corner to injury.  Despite having plenty of options at safety.

Former Husker secondary coach George Darlington had some choice words to me at halftime about how poor NU's corners were tackling. That has been a real problem at times, and you fear for the worst next week when Ohio State puts those guys in space.

The Wisconsin staff also told the BTN TV crew in their pregame meetings the game plan going in was to go after NU's corners and make them tackle.

HOL

• Plus1 2