Stop

36 minutes ago, Toe said:

"It's time to lock Callahan in long-term" - Steven M. Sipple, Aug 11, 2007

And I still maintain to this day that if Callahan would have had the cojones to fire Cozgrove and replace him with a competent DC, Callahan would still be our coach today and we'd be talking about championships and winning records. The offense wasn't the problem at all with that regime--the defense (and Callahan putting friends before program needs) was. Callahan was sold as an offensive genius, and our offense was pretty salty during his tenure. 

Conversely, Riley and 'Dorf were sold as offensive geniuses, and I'd suggest this is the worst offense we've seen at Nebraska since '09. And it took Suh and perhaps one of the best defensive teams of all time at DoNU to keep that season successful (and frankly, it was save for Texass' thievery). 

1 hour ago, VectorVictor said:

And I still maintain to this day that if Callahan would have had the cojones to fire Cozgrove and replace him with a competent DC, Callahan would still be our coach today and we'd be talking about championships and winning records. The offense wasn't the problem at all with that regime--the defense (and Callahan putting friends before program needs) was. Callahan was sold as an offensive genius, and our offense was pretty salty during his tenure. 

You can't be serious.  Callahan's offense was propped up by garbage time points.  He was an inept hack.  Although I do think he was a better coach than Riley.

• Plus1 4

3 hours ago, The Maudfather said:

I seem to recall Callahan having his contract extended prior to the 07 season. 

There is no shroud of mystery surrounding Mike Riley's fate at this point. The guy that hired him literally got fired a few weeks ago and we just got jailsexed by Wisconsin at home. 

He gone. 

It was after the Nevada game.

We would be dumb not to fire Mike for Frost. If we don't get him, chances are a team to the likes of Tennessee or Florida could snag him. Who does that leave us with? People on this board dream for Les Miles, Stoops, etc. None of those will ever happen. Scott Frost is the way to go. He has a top 10 offense and a top 30 defense (similar #'s to NU). People say he may be unproven, but he took over a winless team just a few years ago and now they are ranked inside the top 25. I would argue he has already done more at UCF than Mike has done here. So many programs like Alabama and Michigan go through stretches like NU, and they have made significant turnarounds. Why not us?

• Plus1 2