Does MR need to reshuffle the coaching staff or keep it the same?

Does MR need to reshuffle the coaching staff or keep it the same?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like to see MR do to keep the Huskers improving?

• Make no coaching staff changes. Continuity is what this team has been missing and it has helped us in the past.
    • Give his assistants until the end of the year to show if they can improve their product on the field.
    • Make changes on the offensive side of the ball, (without naming names).
    • Make changes on the defensive side of the ball, (without naming names).
    • None of the above (looking for some other bigger change).

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/14/2017 at 06:00 AM

I don't think it's salvageable at this point with MR in charge but, just to get to the end of this season, I sure would like to see some changes on the offensive side of the ball. I'd start with relegating DL to QB coach (sorry- I named names) and have somebody else developing the game plan and calling the plays. Not impressed with Langsdorf at all. Although I'm not convinced MR would be much different. I think they both have too much of the pro game mind set and neither one apparently wants to really establish a viable running game. But we might as well find out cuz sh#t don't matter anymore at this point anyway. Personally, I think Riley has checked out and isn't prepared to make anymore staff changes like he did the last 2 years.

He had his chance when he got here. And he had his chance after year 2 to make changes. Something needs to be done. If I were Riley, I'd share play calling duties with DL, bring him down from the press box and also Diaco. I believe having your coordinators on the field and able to communicate with your players is huge.

I'm not a fan of sitting in the press box. Maybe it's good for NFL, but college players have to continuously be motivated and coached up and you can't do that from the press box.

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 10:49 AM, Kiyoat Husker said:

The only change I think that MIGHT be possible or positive would be for HCMR to try his hand at calling plays.  What could it hurt at this point?

If he thought there was a chance he'd be here next year, I have no doubt Langs would have been relieved of his play calling duties.  At this point, it really doesn't matter.

On 10/9/2017 at 0:12 PM, FTW said:

He had his chance when he got here. And he had his chance after year 2 to make changes. Something needs to be done. If I were Riley, I'd share play calling duties with DL, bring him down from the press box and also Diaco. I believe having your coordinators on the field and able to communicate with your players is huge.

I'm not a fan of sitting in the press box. Maybe it's good for NFL, but college players have to continuously be motivated and coached up and you can't do that from the press box.

That last part is something I was complaining about on Saturday while at the game.  The players in the game look disengaged so often.  Riley stands there on the sidelines looking clueless most of the time, DL and Diaco are up in the boxes, so they're not on the sideline to rally the troops and just from watching, there doesn't seem to be hardly any, if any, players on the field trying to hype one another up. I really think this team severely lacks leadership.  Who tries to get the team going again when the going gets tough?  I honestly don't think I can think of one individual person that I would say has done that this season.  

Leadership starts at the top and there definitely needs to be some changes in the off season in that regard.  

I'm a big believer in continuity. Some shuffling / departures / promotions etc are inevitable. Bo was a snarling, disgraceful representative of the University and he got 7 years. So yeah I think I'd like to see what MR & co. can do in years 4, and barring disaster, maybe 5 before making a drastic pronouncement. 

• Plus1 1

Just now, zoogs said:

I'm a big believer in continuity. Some shuffling / departures / promotions etc are inevitable. Bo was a snarling, disgraceful representative of the University and he got 7 years. So yeah I think I'd like to see what MR & co. can do in years 4, and barring disaster, maybe 5 before making a drastic pronouncement. 

Bo got 7 years because he was winning games consistently.  Riley should be fired because he's NOT winning games consistently, and by the fact he hasn't "won big" in the first 3 years, there is a slim chance he ever will.  He needs to be fired and someone else needs to be brought in.

• Plus1 4

The shocking nature of sports is that sometimes teams that don't have it all together one year, build up and get there in a few seasons' time. Or teams that are on top of the world endure an utter collapse. Or teams that are back and here to stay stay on the bare periphery of the Top 25 while getting curbstomped by Wisconsin teams from good to mediocre year in, year out.

5 minutes ago, zoogs said:

I'm a big believer in continuity. Some shuffling / departures / promotions etc are inevitable. Bo was a snarling, disgraceful representative of the University and he got 7 years. So yeah I think I'd like to see what MR & co. can do in years 4, and barring disaster, maybe 5 before making a drastic pronouncement

You would rather see the bolded than having a shot at Frost?  If we give Riley another year or two, the door that is open for Frost right now will be slammed shut by the likes of Tennessee.  Riley is 64 years old.  Even if we give him another season or two, he's not getting any younger.  Even if he would get us into contention for the B1G within the next couple of years, he's still more than likely going to retire soon.  I really haven't seen anyone on his staff I'd be willing to give the keys to if that were to happen. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, zoogs said:

The shocking nature of sports is that sometimes teams that don't have it all together one year, build up and get there in a few seasons' time. Or teams that are on top of the world endure an utter collapse. Or teams that are back and here to stay stay on the bare periphery of the Top 25 while getting dusted by Wisconsin teams from good to mediocre year in, year out.

I recommend you try to find Mike'l Severe's podcasts on Omaha.com from yesterday.  He has done the research or looked at research done.  Basically, a coach at at Power 5 school who doesn't have a breakout season or huge improvement in wins by YEAR 3, will NEVER have one at that school.  We are in year 3 of Riley.  He has had 1 losing season, 1 season that was basically the same as his predecessor, and another season that is headed to .500 or worse.  These are actual facts.  Riley isn't a new coach trying to find his way.  He's a 20-year veteran head coach who is so set in his ways, that he's easy to coach against and beat.

• Plus1 3

I like Frost, so yeah, I don't know. I guess it's not really my call to make. I kind of figure Frost has a long road ahead of him and there's a decent argument that the lights are pretty big for him right now to be at Nebraska. There'll be time for a homecoming. Or maybe it's Frost's time. I can't really complain, either way.

If we do make a move for Frost that's really about putting all our chips in and pulling the plug on the Riley era on the basis of timing. Frost would then hopefully be able to get the space and patience that Riley never got, given that there's no rival Husker alum coach out there that I'm aware of. 

Guys, it's been a dang long time since we've been a top program. We need to stop assuming we're playing by the Alabama or Ohio State rulebook of hiring the right elite coach and then vaulting back up immediately. Instead we might look at blueprints like Michigan State, TCU, Wisconsin -- sound programs that laid foundation, had patience with solid coaches, through the tough years. Those programs didn't get to where they are today by idolizing #9wins. They stay the course. If it's Riley great. If it's Frost great. As long as these are good, conscientious coaches who recruit and rep well and are fun to follow, I'm down for the 9 win years, the 11 win years, the 5 win years. It's all part of the tide. 

Mark Dantonio went 6-7 in his third year and 3-9 in 2016. I don't care about statistical "research", which rarely considers confounders. Specific trends are made to be broken. By the way, if Frost doesn't break out by year 3, are we supposed to support pulling the plug on that experiment? Whenever/if ever he gets here, I sure hope not.

• Plus1 1