Sexism - It's a Real Thing

52 minutes ago, LadyGlitterSparkles said:

Oh gosh, so much just on this page of this thread, to address, but I'll start here. I'm a single mom of 2 young boys and while their dad is around, I have chosen to be the one to take charge in educating my boys about these topics. My oldest in particular is VERY curious and asks questions about all subjects all the time. I'd say sex-related questions started coming from him at 3 years old. He started with just trying to understand anatomical differences. Then he wanted to know how babies are made. He was content with an egg/seed type explanation for a while, but eventually he wanted to know how the seed got inside the mom. As he's gotten older, he's heard things on tv or from friends/cousins that he wants to understand better.  I have instilled it in him that he is allowed to ask me ANYTHING and I will not get mad or lie to him. There have been times when I've had to tell him that I need to think about the best way to answer and I will get back to him when I've thought about it more. He accepts that and I keep my word to address his question after I've formed an appropriate response. I'm not going to lie, this has led to some REALLY uncomfortable/amusing moments. "Mom, your fachina is awake at night because it's from China and they're awake when we sleep" (when he was younger). A grossed out "So, did you and dad have to do it more than once?"  when I explained the more intricate details of how babies are made. And "Do you have to do it in a bedroom?" No idea where that one came from, tbh. Most recently he heard the word masturbation. Not going to lie... that was the most difficult one to explain for some reason. IMO, your friend handled her son's question perfectly. I don't envy her, but I respect her willingness to be honest and age appropriate with her response.

The fact he's not too embarrassed to ask you is great.

One thing I think people need to be careful of is getting in the habit of “parenting other parents”. By that, I mean that people shouldn’t be so quick to say “those people aren’t good parents because they aren’t raising their kids as I would”.  I have friends who parent their kids a lot differently than I parent mine, it doesn’t mean I am right and they are wrong. We just choose to do things differently. I choose to focus on my children and put them in a situation to make their own decisions and hope things work out the best for them. I can’t go around worrying about how other kids are being raised and the principles (or lack there of) other parents are giving their kids. There are too many s#!tty people in this world to be worrying about all of them. 

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

One thing I think people need to be careful of is getting in the habit of “parenting other parents”. By that, I mean that people shouldn’t be so quick to say “those people aren’t good parents because they aren’t raising their kids as I would”.  I have friends who parent their kids a lot differently than I parent mine, it doesn’t mean I am right and they are wrong. We just choose to do things differently. I choose to focus on my children and put them in a situation to make their own decisions and hope things work out the best for them. I can’t go around worrying about how other kids are being raised and the principles (or lack there of) other parents are giving their kids. There are too many s#!tty people in this world to be worrying about all of them. 

Very true and sort of what I have gotten at when discussing mine.

I teach my kids to act a certain way and treat people a certain way.  However, not everyone is the same and you have to do what you need to do to not put yourself in situations with people who don't have your best interest or safety at heart.

• Plus1 1

Someone took The Last Jedi and edited it down to about 45 minutes.  They edited out all the scenes where women were the focus.  It would be funny, if it wasn't so utterly pathetic and petulant.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/star-wars-the-last-jedi-stars-blast-all-male-version/ar-AAuPocf?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

This right here is what I am talking about.  Most of the hate directed at The Last Jedi is misogynistic in nature.  There are some people throwing racial bigotry into their "criticism" as well, but that's another topic.

One thing I admired about @knapplc take on TLJ is that for all his criticism, it was not misogynistic or racist.  

It's taking everything I've got to not type in all caps.  But instead I'll be doing some research and contributing to his opponents campaign.  Anybody from MO on this board?  Is this legit?  By the looks of his FB page and twitter (personal and campaign) he's 100% investing in this bs.

• Plus1 1

20 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

It's taking everything I've got to not type in all caps.  But instead I'll be doing some research and contributing to his opponents campaign.  Anybody from MO on this board?  Is this legit?  By the looks of his FB page and twitter (personal and campaign) he's 100% investing in this bs.

What a dips..t!

5 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

HE HAS DAUGHTERS!

And a fiance that seemingly hangs around for this.  

I just don't get his thought process.  I also have a daughter, whom I adore.  I want her to know that she has many options and she is capable of doing many things.  I want her to know her worth and I want her to find things she loves to do and explore the world.  That said, when it's all said and done, she may grow up and marry a wealthy businessman and choose to be a homemaker.  I'm absolutely okay with that, as long as it is her choice and not because she isn't capable of doing something else.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, NM11046 said:

HE HAS DAUGHTERS!

And a fiance that seemingly hangs around for this.  

2 hours ago, Landlord said:

If she likes living in that traditional gender role, that's completely fine for her. 

2 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

Its fine to live in traditional gender roles, but supporting this kind of rhetoric is not fine. 

This is where the entire "sexism" thing gets complicated (for some people).  I see no problem with him having the attitude that "I expect a warm meal when I get home" if he finds a woman that loves him and wants that roll in the family.  We talk all the time about how people shouldn't push their values on others and how people should be left to live their lives as they want to.  Well, this is a life style that some people view as what they want....both men and women.  Yes.....there are women who want this place in life.

Now, where he would go wrong is if and when he expresses that EVERY woman should be at home cooking a hot meal for their husband.  

I look at my mother and father.  My father worked hard at a career outside the home.  My mother worked hard raising us and providing that "hot meal" when he got home.  They have loved each other for over 60 years and still love each other dearly.  My sister-in-law just thinks the entire thing is absolutely horrible and expresses how she feels sorry for my mom....etc.  I get into arguments over it with her saying that this is the life they loved and both enjoyed what it brought them.  Now, it would be wrong for my father to expect my sister-in-law to live the same way....which he doesn't.

For the record, the candidate is an idiot and should be defeated because he DOES believe every woman should live like my mother....which is wrong.

Edited by BigRedBuster
  • Plus1 3