Racism - It's a real thing.

3 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Maybe it should blow over, and I'm sure something outrageous is going to happen this afternoon to push it off the cycle, but I"m still wondering about the adults who put a bunch of white minors in full MAGA gear and bused them from Kentucky to Washington DC for a rally designed to disrupt a Woman's March timed around Martin Luther King's birthday. 

This

• Plus1 3

1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I"m still wondering about the adults who put a bunch of white minors in full MAGA gear and bused them from Kentucky to Washington DC for a rally designed to disrupt a Woman's March timed around Martin Luther King's birthday. 

This is an annual trip for the March for Life Rally on anniversary of Roe vs Wade in Jan 1973.  There are usually parent, teacher and pastor chaperones and I do not recall any past issues.  My guess is they were at the wrong place at the wrong time with these protestors.  They picked unfortunate meeting place to load the buses and head back to Ky.

The March for Life has been going on since 1974.  It is a peaceful and prayer 1-2 days.  It is definitely not "designed to disrupt the Women's March" which started 3 years ago.

The March for Life has nothing to do with MLK, it is a protest on the anniversary of Roe vs Wade

• Plus1 1

If those kids weren't wearing MAGA hats this never makes it into the collective social consciousness.  Events like this happen on the National Mall every day.

Every parent upset their kid is on the front page of newspapers, that their kid's school is being called by angry citizens, that their kid is being mischaracterized needs to realize they're responsible for all of it.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Maybe it should blow over, and I'm sure something outrageous is going to happen this afternoon to push it off the cycle, but I"m still wondering about the adults who put a bunch of white minors in full MAGA gear and bused them from Kentucky to Washington DC for a rally designed to disrupt a Woman's March timed around Martin Luther King's birthday. 

Abhorent MAGA gear aside, the March for Life Rally has been held at this time for over 40 years because it happens near the anniversary of Roe v Wade (January 22, 1973).

It had nothing to do with the Women's March, and I would argue that the Women's March was organized to disrupt the Life March.  

Unfortunately, MLK birthday is an innocent bystander in this

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

If those kids weren't wearing MAGA hats this never makes it into the collective social consciousness.  Events like this happen on the National Mall every day.

Every parent upset their kid is on the front page of newspapers, that their kid's school is being called by angry citizens, that their kid is being mischaracterized needs to realize they're responsible for all of it.

I'd have to look at video again but there were 10-15 kids in Maga hats out of the 100+ kids.  From I am told from my friends, they were purchased while site seeing in DC and their parents didn't send them there in MAGA hats.

9 minutes ago, Creed said:

I'd have to look at video again but there were 10-15 kids in Maga hats out of the 100+ kids.  From I am told from my friends, they were purchased while site seeing in DC and their parents didn't send them there in MAGA hats.

Those kids learned it was acceptable to wear MAGA hats at home.  If they didn't learn that, that's also on the parents.

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, Creed said:

It's more than 10-15.  And It wasn't just hats.  Although that is what will get the attention.  There are many with sweatshirts and scarves as well.  And some with white MAGA hats, too.  

Like it or not, that hat comes with a stigma now.  It now carries a different meaning because groups like The Proud Boys and other white supremacist groups wear it.  It's no different than the Confederate flag, or any other sign or logo, or gesture that has been adopted by a hate group.  

I guess that's is on the parents and teachers then and they shouldn't have them wear a hat that states Make America Great bc that is akin to a white robe.  Knowing many of the parents, they would never want to have their kids promote white supremist ideas and wearing a hat that offends.  I guess we have to be very careful today not to offend other with our outfits.

• Fire 1
2 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Also, are we still ignoring the fact that these kids were doing the Florida St/Chiefs/Braves chant and tomahawk chop while the elder was chanting?

So where Chiefs fans yesterday.  The NFL should outlaw that.

I think the kids were in the middle of their school chants they do at their sporting events and a few did the tomahawk cheer as the elder was beating his drum as that is common at sporting events these days.  I guess you would need to ask the kids what their intent was.

• Thanks 1

I will go back to saying that the people who truly are at fault here are the Black Israelites.  I think we all agree to that.

That said, I have been on the national mall probably 8-10 times in my life.  I know things like this happen.  But, it's not something that happens "every day".  In fact, I know it's a small sample size, but I've never witnessed anything like this.  

There's something about all of this, from the initial incident to the over reaction to the initial video that I keep going back to and thinking it's just another example of the heightened emotions and anxiety in America ever since Trump took office.

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

I will go back to saying that the people who truly are at fault here are the Black Israelites.  I think we all agree to that.

That said, I have been on the national mall probably 8-10 times in my life.  I know things like this happen.  But, it's not something that happens "every day".  In fact, I know it's a small sample size, but I've never witnessed anything like this.  

There's something about all of this, from the initial incident to the over reaction to the initial video that I keep going back to and thinking it's just another example of the heightened emotions and anxiety in America ever since Trump took office.

Agree but would change to since Obama took office (just flipped flopped).  Remember the preppers who thought Obama was the anti-Christ?  Our country has been divided since 2008

1 minute ago, Creed said:

Agree but would change to since Obama took office (just flipped flopped).  Remember the preppers who thought Obama was the anti-Christ?  Our country has been divided since 2008

I'm not sure that I remember anything about "preppers".  

Can you please explain how you view the divide in America during the Obama years?  I would agree there were tensions.  I'm interested in your view of them.

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm not sure that I remember anything about "preppers".  

Can you please explain how you view the divide in America during the Obama years?  I would agree there were tensions.  I'm interested in your view of them.

There was a group of people called "preppers" who prepped for end of America.  There was a TV reality show about them.  Prepping supply companies popped up.  There were stories that the Obama administration purchased land in Montana to imprison the religious right.