Racism - It's a real thing.

23 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

So you're going to assume what the kid said to provoke the "go back to Europe" comment, while also taking the elder man at his word that he was trying to diffuse it, despite all video suggesting otherwise? That seems like the definition of trying to fit it to your narrative.

Maybe he was trying to diffuse the situation between the Israelite people and the MAGA students?  Just spitballing 

• Fire 1

5 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Maybe he was trying to diffuse the situation between the Israelite people and the MAGA students?  Just spitballing 

It's entirely possible, but it's not how it looks in the video. And I think the situation between students and the other group was after the Native American issue, because the buses showed up in one of the videos to pick the kids up.

1 minute ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

It's entirely possible, but it's not how it looks in the video. And I think the situation between students and the other group was after the Native American issue, because the buses showed up in one of the videos to pick th kids up.

The video that Teach and I are discussing shows the students and the other group BEFORE the elder shows up

27 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

The video that Teach and I are discussing shows the students and the other group BEFORE the elder shows up

If he was attempting to diffuse the situation, wouldn't you do so by going towards the verbally, instigating adults who were harassing a group of kids? It seems far more likely to me that he liked what he saw, and wanted to get in on it. His actions suggest it as well.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

So you're going to assume what the kid said to provoke the "go back to Europe" comment, while also taking the elder man at his word that he was trying to diffuse it, despite all video suggesting otherwise? That seems like the definition of trying to fit it to your narrative.

Yes, I’m assuming he said something along those lines because the guy who told him to go to Europe was watching the drum guy calmly for a good 30 seconds then suddenly whipped his head around to one kid specifically and then made that comment. The comment is by definition out of context because you don’t know what came immediately before it. 

Also, you throw around the word instigate a lot. Walking toward them while playing drums and singing at a national monument doesn’t seem like instigation to me, and the guy did nothing that should have caused them to behave that way. 

30 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

If he was attempting to diffuse the situation, wouldn't you do so by going towards the verbally, instigating adults who were harassing a group of kids? It seems far more likely to me that he liked what he saw, and wanted to get in on it. His actions suggest it as well.

They were talking to that group before he did so, and it was 4 vs. 100+.

• Thanks 3

41 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

I thought this was pretty interesting. Apparently there is a very clear cultural problem at this particular high school. After reading, my thoughts did not change and this particular kid sounds very privileged.

(Read the whole thread, it’s semi-long.)

(

That Arlen dude is creepy AF!  Oh my god.

This Arlen dude makes Ted Bundy look normal.

Man, this is one ugly situation.  I don’t blame the boys as much as I did at first, but I don’t think Phillips deserves fault.  The group from Covington was getting sucked into confrontation by the Black Israelites.  Phillips and his group noticed and entered the group to redirect the students.   

From there, it’s hard to say about all the individual comments back and forth, except that it was ugly.  It also all could have been avoided if chaperones were there to get the kids away from the very small group of Black Israelites.

12 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Man, this is one ugly situation.  I don’t blame the boys as much as I did at first, but I don’t think Phillips deserves fault.  The group from Covington was getting sucked into confrontation by the Black Israelites.  Phillips and his group noticed and entered the group to redirect the students.   

From there, it’s hard to say about all the individual comments back and forth, except that it was ugly.  It also all could have been avoided if chaperones were there to get the kids away from the very small group of Black Israelites.

The 4 Black guys were the worst of the bunch and based on some of the words they were using I wouldn’t be surprised if they started it merely because they saw people in MAGA hats. They deserve being outed more than the others. 

Which, btw, wearing MAGA hats while shouting chants in front of a national monument with a group of 100+ people is instigating if 1 person walking through a crowd with a drum and singing is. (I think neither is).

I

3 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

The 4 Black guys were the worst of the bunch and based on some of the words they were using I wouldn’t be surprised if they started it merely because they saw people in MAGA hats. They deserve being outed more than the others. 

Which, btw, wearing MAGA hats while shouting chants in front of a national monument with a group of 100+ people is instigating if 1 person walking through a crowd with a drum and singing is. (I think neither is).

I didn’t think Phillips instigated.  I actually think he kept the boys from making a really bad mistake in physically interacting with the Black Israelites.

• Plus1 1

Here's a longass video. The first hour is the Black guys saying racist, homophobic dumbass stuff. It actually starts off with them telling the Native Americans they shouldn't be worshipping animals. It's from the perspective of one of the Black guys. The smaller group where the original video came from said they didn't start filming until just after the drummer approached the group. It looks to me like the chanting was to drown out the idiots shouting racist stuff.