Racism - It's a real thing.

Just now, teachercd said:

This is what about 10 other posters have said in this thread and it keeps getting the same treatment...but it is correct.

The people who don't like this post...are hating on it because they have to justify why the s#!t they buy is "okay".  I get that and honestly, I am fine with it, we all do it.  I just don't know why you wouldn't admit it on a post board.

I will GLADLY buy sweatshop stuff if it is cool and cheap and what I am looking for.  Happy to buy it!

But why teach does one purchase a MAGA hat? In your opinion

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

So you're a nike guy? 

Actually, I like UA for 1/4 zips and Adidas for shoes.  What about you?

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

Because they like the hat.  That is why I buy stuff, I like it.  

2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

This is what about 10 other posters have said in this thread and it keeps getting the same treatment...but it is correct.

The people who don't like this post...are hating on it because they have to justify why the s#!t they buy is "okay".  I get that and honestly, I am fine with it, we all do it.  I just don't know why you wouldn't admit it on a post board.

I will GLADLY buy sweatshop stuff if it is cool and cheap and what I am looking for.  Happy to buy it!

1 minute ago, Caveman said:

The analogy is not based on the motivation for purchases, its based on the injustices being overlooked. 

You're both missing the most important point here: a political symbol is not at all the same as a brand symbol. You're basically arguing that wearing a swastika is the same as wearing the Mercedes symbol.

Just now, RedDenver said:

You're both missing the most important point here: a political symbol is not at all the same as a brand symbol. You're basically arguing that wearing a swastika is the same as wearing the Mercedes symbol.

No, I am arguing that you can't have it both ways.

I disagree. Analogies do not need to refer to topics of equal magnitude. 

Just now, teachercd said:

No, I am arguing that you can't have it both ways.

You're making the argument that all injustices are equivalent, which is obviously not true. 

2 minutes ago, Caveman said:

I disagree. Analogies do not need to refer to topics of equal magnitude. 

Yes, but they make bad analogies when they aren't equally applicable.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

You're making the argument that all injustices are equivalent, which is obviously not true. 

Yes, but they make bad analogies when they aren't equally applicable.

It is not in injustice to wear a MAGA hat!  It is not an injustice to lace up your Nikes!

That is the problem...you are thinking about it wrong.

Also, I made those sliders, super easy!  I added some brown sugar as well.  Not as thin as I would have liked but that was my problem.

37 minutes ago, teachercd said:

It is not in injustice to wear a MAGA hat!  It is not an injustice to lace up your Nikes!

Also, I made those sliders, super easy!  I added some brown sugar as well.  Not as thin as I would have liked but that was my problem.

Its not an injustice but it is a show of support while lacing up your nikes is not. Just because a kid likes Nikes doesn't mean he likes the Iowa Hawkeyes more than Nebraska. Wearing a MAGA hat on the other hand immediately tells others who you voted for, that is if you are of age to vote. If you are underage, it still signals your support for that person.

• Plus1 1

Its not an injustice but it is a show of support while lacing up your nikes is not. Just because a kid likes Nikes doesn't mean he likes the Iowa Hawkeyes more than Nebraska. Wearing a MAGA hat on the other hand immediately tells others who you voted for.

So...those 15 and 16 year old kids...wearing the MAGA hat...meant you knew who they voted for?

So...in your mind those kids created fake ID's to make them old enough to vote, went to the polls, voted for Trump and then bought the hats to let everyone know that they voted (using fake ID's) for Trump?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbxZXmF6qtQ

4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

This. The demonization of MAGA hatters is unfounded and not healthy for political discourse. 

15 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Trump voters I personally know supported his American worker's first, secure borders, and "drain the swamp" platform. They didn't vote explicitly for separating families at the border or alienating our international allies.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Clifford Franklin said:

While these are all pretty fair remarks, for the most part...

I don't think there is any definitive way to know what was or wasn't chanted along with the Tomahawk chops. Of course the kid at the center of the entire thing is going to say they did nothing wrong. Perhaps the didn't. But Phillips and a photojournalist there to cover the Indigenous Peoples' March both claim they did indeed hear chants of "build that wall" and "Trump 2020." Take that FWIW.

And then there is this. Covington, at the very least, has a horrible blindspot for racially insensitive behavior. And that's being generous. Given the very descriptive thread from a documentary maker I posted earlier in this thread (that this photo is completely compatible with), it's fair to question the culture in which these students are being educated.

This is from 2012. How does a school think it's appropriate to let those 4+ young men stay and attend the game? Unspeakably awful judgment on the part of the school.

covington-crazies.jpg?w=842

More details would be nice. It's clearly a blackout. It's hard to stamp intent to a single picture with no context. Also, I had no idea what black face was, or why it was even racist when I was in highschool (not that the teachers shouldn't have know).

31 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Just to make this simple and to finally destroy your argument, I will ONLY purchase clothing and shoes that are made in sweatshops, I do that because I support low wages and long hours in horrible conditions.  The only reason I purchase apple...to support Mr. Jobs, that is it, the only reason.

There, now since one person has admitted that, you can't continue to say it is not a good analogy :)

Actually teach already showed the exact difference between political and brand symbols in this post. He's clarifying that he didn't buy those brands for all the other reasons you might do so (need pants or shoes to wear) and instead he's doing it for political reasons. (Yes, I realize he's really just trying to be ridiculous.)

To put it another way, the difference is between wearing a Nike swoosh (or whatever brand) and wearing a "I support sweatshops" logo. Those are not at all similar.

• Plus1 2

Actually teach already showed the exact difference between political and brand symbols in this post. He's clarifying that he didn't buy those brands for all the other reasons you might do so (need pants or shoes to wear) and instead he's doing it for political reasons. (Yes, I realize he's really just trying to be ridiculous.)

To put it another way, the difference is between wearing a Nike swoosh (or whatever brand) and wearing a "I support sweatshops" logo. Those are not at all similar.

There is the NIKE gang out here in Omaha and other places in the midwest and they were some Nike gear to let people know it.

Red, if I keep up slapping down your posts like this I am worried the police are gonna get called  :)

8 minutes ago, Caveman said:

This. The demonization of MAGA hatters is unfounded and not healthy for political discourse. 

Trump voters I personally know supported his American worker's first, secure borders, and "drain the swamp" platform. They didn't vote explicitly for separating families at the border or alienating our international allies.

So you acknowledge that MAGA is tied to support for Donald Trump as president? 

So you acknowledge that MAGA is tied to support for Donald Trump as president? 

Hold on now...you said something like "the hat lets everyone know who you VOTED for" ...are you accusing those high school kids of voter fraud?  Pretty big accusation, don't you think?