Racism - It's a real thing.

6 minutes ago, ZRod said:

More details would be nice. It's clearly a blackout. It's hard to stamp intent to a single picture with no context. Also, I had no idea what black face was, or why it was even racist when I was in highschool (not that the teachers shouldn't have know).

Given the amount of outright racism we saw from the dregs of Red America during pretty much the entirety of Obama's presidency, the adults definitely should have known.

I wind up back in the same place of not really thinking much of this is the kids' fault but wondering what in the world the adults (chaperones and school figures) were thinking by allowing this type of culture.

11 minutes ago, teachercd said:

So...those 15 and 16 year old kids...wearing the MAGA hat...meant you knew who they voted for?

So...in your mind those kids created fake ID's to make them old enough to vote, went to the polls, voted for Trump and then bought the hats to let everyone know that they voted (using fake ID's) for Trump?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbxZXmF6qtQ

Voted for or would have voted for. Better? I mean they were yelling Trump 2020 so who do you think they will vote for this next election?

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

Voted for or would have voted for. Better? I mean they were yelling Trump 2020 so who do you think they will vote for this next election?

No, it isn't really better.  You jumped to conclusions that those kids voted (committed voter fraud) because of a hat.  That is my point, stop jumping to conclusions about everything.

My guess, they won't vote, like most people.  

6 minutes ago, teachercd said:

There is the NIKE gang out here in Omaha and other places in the midwest and they were some Nike gear to let people know it.

Red, if I keep up slapping down your posts like this I am worried the police are gonna get called  :)

I'm not sure if you don't understand that you're supporting my point, or if it's brilliant satire in support of my point. Either way: yes, good point.

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

I'm not sure if you don't understand that you're supporting my point, or if it's brilliant satire in support of my point. Either way: yes, good point.

You are getting close...sooooo very close!

Just think...in this thread we have adults saying it is an "injustice" to wear a MAGA hat and we have adults calling out 15 year olds for committing a federal offense (voter fraud)...maybe it is time to step back for some??

8 minutes ago, teachercd said:

No, it isn't really better.  You jumped to conclusions that those kids voted (committed voter fraud) because of a hat.  That is my point, stop jumping to conclusions about everything.

My guess, they won't vote, like most people.  

No I didn't. I made a generalization without thought of people who were too young to vote. I used vote in place of support and you jumped to the conclusion I accused kids of voter fraud. Ill edit my original post accordingly.

4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

You are getting close...sooooo very close!

Just think...in this thread we have adults saying it is an "injustice" to wear a MAGA hat and we have adults calling out 15 year olds for committing a federal offense (voter fraud)...maybe it is time to step back for some??

Except nobody has said either of those things. It's just people setting up a strawman argument.

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Actually teach already showed the exact difference between political and brand symbols in this post. He's clarifying that he didn't buy those brands for all the other reasons you might do so (need pants or shoes to wear) and instead he's doing it for political reasons. (Yes, I realize he's really just trying to be ridiculous.)

To put it another way, the difference is between wearing a Nike swoosh (or whatever brand) and wearing a "I support sweatshops" logo. Those are not at all similar.

What does wearing a MAGA hat imply? 

18 minutes ago, Caveman said:

What does wearing a MAGA hat imply? 

That you're supporting the Trump, or at the very least the Trump campaign if the hat is a few years old.

7 minutes ago, Caveman said:

Come on, you can do better than that. What inhumane qualities are automatically transferred to the lucky owner of each new hat?

The same ones that come with supporting any political symbol - those associated with that symbol.

Imagine you see someone wearing a Bernie shirt - what would you assume about them?

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, Caveman said:

Come on, you can do better than that. What inhumane qualities are automatically transferred to the lucky owner of each new hat?

On 1/22/2019 at 10:33 AM, Nebfanatic said:

Thats good for you, but I don't like to settle. The stance you are taking is ridiculous and I won't back down from holding you accountable to that. Now I agree that owning a MAGA hat does not mean you are completely aligned with Donald Trumps morals, but it does mean you support Donald Trump as president. You aren't wearing it because it looks cool, a reason you may purchase other clothing. It is a political symbol, a pair of nike socks is not. You may choose nike socks for the comfort, or the look or the durability. There is only 1 reason you choose a MAGA hat, and that is because you support Trump. Is it inherently wrong to support Trump? Does supporting Trump mean you support bad things? Not necissarily, but if you wear a MAGA hat, you are signaling you support Trump.

:dunno how many different ways do I need to say it? It seems pretty simple to me

6 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

That you're supporting the Trump, or at the very least the Trump campaign if the hat is a few years old.

The same ones that come with supporting any political symbol - those associated with that symbol.

Imagine you see someone wearing a Bernie shirt - what would you assume about them?

Difficult to say. They might support all of his policies, maybe just a few. Maybe they just appreciate a genuine, progressive candidate. 

Regardless, I would not think less of that person nor treat them with hostility. 

9 minutes ago, Caveman said:

Difficult to say. They might support all of his policies, maybe just a few. Maybe they just appreciate a genuine, progressive candidate. 

Regardless, I would not think less of that person nor treat them with hostility. 

Who has been arguing we should treat MAGA hat wearers with hostility? This all began with people wanting to say MAGA hats had no meaning at all. Is the comparison between MAGA hats and Nike still a good one to you?

• Plus1 1