Racism - It's a real thing.

10 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I don't see anything wrong with calling out those who cry racism at every turn, when they are being racist (or prejudice) themselves. It's blatant hypocrisy.

But there are plenty of people in the responses to that tweet complaining about racism, asking why it matters if she's White, etc. That's why we don't need some hypothetical situation. It's right there happening, people are upset by it in the responses, when it's a Black man and White woman.

Who are you saying cries racism at every turn and is racist themselves? You posted a specific tweet. Are you talking the people replying?

• 2 weeks later...

It's obviously disgusting and unacceptable, but I suppose not surprising. I'm sure there are border patrol agents who aren't racist, but it seems like the type of job that would attract people who don't really don't want Mexicans to be here, and one of the possible reasons for not wanting Mexicans to be here is racism.

• 2 weeks later...

I knew about him but looked it up again. I can't believe how brave his mom was. It would be hard to not just be selfish thinking only about your son that was just murdered, but she wanted to change things for everyone like him.

Till's body was returned to Chicago where his mother insisted on a public funeral service with an open casket. "The open-coffin funeral held by Mamie Till Bradley exposed the world to more than her son Emmett Till's bloated, mutilated body. Her decision focused attention not only on U.S. racism and the barbarism of lynching but also on the limitations and vulnerabilities of American democracy".[7] Tens of thousands attended his funeral or viewed his open casket, and images of his mutilated body were published in black-oriented magazines and newspapers, rallying popular black support and white sympathy across the U.S. Intense scrutiny was brought to bear on the lack of black civil rights in Mississippi, with newspapers around the U.S. critical of the state. Although local newspapers and law enforcement officials initially decried the violence against Till and called for justice, they responded to national criticism by defending Mississippians, temporarily giving support to the killers.

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

I knew about him but looked it up again. I can't believe how brave his mom was. It would be hard to not just be selfish thinking only about your son that was just murdered, but she wanted to change things for everyone like him.

Till was one of the fundamental figures we learned about in my one black studies course in college.

The images of his murderers smiling and laughing with their (white) girlfriends after being found not guilty in court still haunt my mind.

Oof. I just found out they were acquitted by an all-white, all-male jury too because women and blacks were banned.

16 hours ago, knapplc said:

It is insane to me that we have to make this monument bulletproof because knuckle-draggers like the guys above keep shooting it up.

Kinda sad that Till only gets one sentence that doesn't even tell his stroy.

I'll be honest I had forgotten about Emmet Till until I saw Dave Chappelle a few years back and he talked about it in detail.