Tre Bryant

Just now, Xmas32 said:

IIRC this is something that has affected Bryant all the way back to HS.  Riley and the other coaches were aware of it.

Thats what makes it questionable.  You know, then why push him over a limit of carry's?  We have all watched the other backs and they are completely legit and maybe better.  More wood to add to the fire!

Just now, Nebhawk said:

Thats what makes it questionable.  You know, then why push him over a limit of carry's?  We have all watched the other backs and they are completely legit and maybe better.  More wood to add to the fire!

Agreed it does seem questionable given the circumstances.

10 minutes ago, Hunter94 said:

seems a lot like Pelini running Martinez when he could barely walk on to the field, that didn't make any sense either?

Taylor's injury plagued him all through his career at NU.  IIRC the rumors, some was self inflicted.  I think he finally had surgery after trying out for the Eagles....

4 hours ago, Mavric said:

Sure seems like it's heading that way.

Unfortunately I fear it's just delaying the inevitable.  Riley said he's had knee issues since he got here and basically his knee is shot.  They were already resting him in fall camp to try to help but obviously it didn't. 

Not sure he can be expected to be able to carry much of the load going forward if his knee is already this bad.

I hope he gets a medical redshirt opportunity but I'm with you Mavric-I think it's just delaying the inevitable as well.

1 hour ago, Xmas32 said:

IIRC this is something that has affected Bryant all the way back to HS.  Riley and the other coaches were aware of it.  Sometimes you just need to roll the dice on a guy and hope it works out.  The juice was worth the squeeze in this case.  Definitely bummed for Bryant.  Hopefully this doesn't affect any long term quality of life issues.

I believe this is correct that it went back to HS.  Sounds to me like it’s more of a lingering issue that never truly heals.  Yea, you can rest it and it may feel better but it’ll always be there unless he has surgery. And if it does go all the way back to his HS days, I’m sure he had some say in continuing to play with it.  

47 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

I believe this is correct that it went back to HS.  Sounds to me like it’s more of a lingering issue that never truly heals.  Yea, you can rest it and it may feel better but it’ll always be there unless he has surgery. And if it does go all the way back to his HS days, I’m sure he had some say in continuing to play with it.  

Exactly. Not gonna put this all on the coaches. Could they have limited his carries? Yes. But if this is just how it's been since he's been here and before and he wants to get in there in play, theres not a lot you can do, especially with the success he was having. Play him and hope it doesn't progress further than an annoyance. I've had knee issues myself and it's just like that. You've been taking it easy for months, you think you are good to go no restrictions you should be fine and a day later it's bothering you again. 

Poor coaching decision.  You don't need him on every down in the game if he has an arthritic knee.  You know going into a season he may not finish it.  Give your backs all a chance to learn the system equally.  If they were holding him back in fall practice, how can that be your proven #1 back?  Seems to me he looked the part, he must fit the part, kind of mentality.  If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck!

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

They're talking about a medical redshirt - I think you have to apply for it or in some way get approval from the NCAA, but if you only played a few games they usually don't care. I think the cap is 4 games played, but I might be making that up.

You don't apply for medical redshirt until their eligibility is expired though

12 hours ago, teachercd said:

Matty is correct.

Only because I've been wrong about it before.

11 hours ago, RedSavage said:

Generally, yes but not always.  Pretty sure they can apply for it at any point.  Tanner Lee still had eligibility before this season.  

https://twitter.com/Husker247BC/status/917430957971591169

I don't think his was classified as a "medical redshirt" was it?

22 minutes ago, MattyIce said:

Only because I've been wrong about it before.

I don't think his was classified as a "medical redshirt" was it?

I’m going off memory so I may be a bit off on this but wasn't it a "medical hardship waiver"?  I guess that may be different, I'm not sure.  Either way, don't think they'd be talking about it if it wasn't a possibility.