Enough with the fan abuse

tmfr15

4 hours ago, ladyhawke said:

Thanks for that correction. I’ve had my first and last name butchered my whole life so I appreciate it when someone corrects me in the spelling of a name so thanks!

Hawke with an 'E' on the end is definitely tricky. Can't say I get how you can mess up Lady.

Edited by BillMoos
  • Plus1 1
10 hours ago, ladyhawke said:

It's always interesting to me the perspectives that folks have on a particular program or guest on a program. I thought Big Red Wrap Up this past week was one of the most exciting shows they've had in a long time. I appreciated Damon Benning and especially Jason Peter perspective as they actually played the game and were heavily involved with the Husker teams of the past. 

What I took away from that program was certainly not 'fan abuse' rather how the culture has changed for Nebraska football comparing then and now and not just with the fans (e.g. Availability of social media now vs. word of mouth then) but with regards to the player culture.  For example, Jason Peter said the NFL was never mentioned in the locker room back in the day.  Now it seems that players join a team because the coach promises to develop the player for the NFL.  So the player is playing for the coach NOT for the University. That was the point Damon Benning was trying to make.  Back then when you signed up to play you were committing to play for the University of Nebraska, not for Tom Osborne (although who in their right mind wouldn't sign up with that winning coach!). The University was the focus not the coach.  That isn't the case now.  These boys sign up to play for a particular coach.  Because of that, when the coach leaves, the players they recruit also leave.  If the player was playing for the pride of the University, then it wouldn't matter who the coach was, they are playing to be their best as a representative of the University.  

That was my take.  I enjoy listening to former players compare the past with the present.  And unfortunately, fans do have a responsibility with regards to what they say on social medial because like it or not those players do read these message boards and what is said on Twitter.  I feel for these players right now.  They are in a quandary , not  because of the fans, NU fans support players no matter what and when our back is up against the wall we show up, but because they are in limbo with regards to the coaching situation.  If they were playing for the pride of the University instead of a certain coach would they have that fear? Or are those days long gone?

Again, this is my personal perspective. I've been watching Husker football since the early 80's and will continue. GBR!

If memory serves, Osborne's attitude about getting players  drafted in the NFL was pretty indifferent.  I'm not saying that he didn't encourage guys to play professional, but I don't think the focus of his recruiting(especially early) was NFL type guys.   But then lineman where a dime a dozen back then and we had enough beef in the Midwest to stack the o-line 4 deep.  I think when he did start recruiting speed guys that did come into college with NFL aspirations, we started winning championships.  

20 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

If memory serves, Osborne's attitude about getting players  drafted in the NFL was pretty indifferent.  I'm not saying that he didn't encourage guys to play professional, but I don't think the focus of his recruiting(especially early) was NFL type guys.   But then lineman where a dime a dozen back then and we had enough beef in the Midwest to stack the o-line 4 deep.  I think when he did start recruiting speed guys that did come into college with NFL aspirations, we started winning championships.  

I’m sure you’re correct. But it wasn’t mentioned in the locker room by the players according to JP. He was pretty adamant about it. We sure did have quite a few go to the NFL back in the day whether they talked about it or not!:D

34 minutes ago, ladyhawke said:

I’m sure you’re correct. But it wasn’t mentioned in the locker room by the players according to JP. He was pretty adamant about it. We sure did have quite a few go to the NFL back in the day whether they talked about it or not!:D

I have my doubts that the NFL is a big topic of conversation in our current locker room, just saying.

• Plus1 2
58 minutes ago, ladyhawke said:

Social media has destroyed the players ability to focus on what's real and what's in front of them.  Modern coaches have to figure out to get their guy's to pay attention to them and the task at hand.  Everyone can access players 24/7 and that is one thing that Osborne didn't have to deal with.  I wonder how successful programs in the past 10 years have managed the social media influence on their players?  Fans should be fans and players should be players and never should the two meet unless in a controlled environment.  

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Social media has destroyed the players ability to focus on what's real and what's in front of them.  Modern coaches have to figure out to get their guy's to pay attention to them and the task at hand.  Everyone can access players 24/7 and that is one thing that Osborne didn't have to deal with.  I wonder how successful programs in the past 10 years have managed the social media influence on their players?  Fans should be fans and players should be players and never should the two meet unless in a controlled environment.  

I think I agree with this. That is why I'm not too concerned with what fans may say on social media. Of course I don't think it's okay to seek out a player and berate their play or anything like that. But if a player happens upon some discussion on Huskerboard or similar site. IMO that is their problem to deal with. They shouldnt be out looking for that type of thing. In fact I think a good coach would prohibit any and all social media and the like. I know some think that is not realistic in today's world but it sure would prevent a lot of problems. What I don't think is reasonable is all the pleas to never say anything negative about a coach, player or team. I say let the people it might affect control their consumption. There are good fans, passionate fans and then there are a handful of asshats. The players need to be taught that and, if some criticism bothers them, then they need to avoid it because it will always exist somewhere.

2 hours ago, krc1995 said:

Damon Benning and Jason PETER both said on Big Red Wrap-Up that the word "NFL" wasn't allowed in the locker room or the practice field under Tom Osborne. He never made promises to players or painted some bright future for them. If you practiced hard, put in the effort on and off the field, you might get to play.

Tom would have never done what Riley did by putting Tanner Lee on a freaking pedestal before he ever played a snap in a Husker uniform. That was Riley's "Eichorst Moment."

• Plus1 3

9 minutes ago, El Diaco said:

I think I agree with this. That is why I'm not too concerned with what fans may say on social media. Of course I don't think it's okay to seek out a player and berate their play or anything like that. But if a player happens upon some discussion on Huskerboard or similar site. IMO that is their problem to deal with. They shouldnt be out looking for that type of thing. In fact I think a good coach would prohibit any and all social media and the like. I know some think that is not realistic in today's world but it sure would prevent a lot of problems. What I don't think is reasonable is all the pleas to never say anything negative about a coach, player or team. I say let the people it might affect control their consumption. There are good fans, passionate fans and then there are a handful of asshats. The players need to be taught that and, if some criticism bothers them, then they need to avoid it because it will always exist somewhere.

I  think maybe some player education from the University may be in order-and maybe its already being done -I don't know.  Maybe teaching players how to separate themselves from social media abuse and fan contact is a coaching skill that younger head coaches have that the older ones don't? It's a great life skill if nothing else.   We pump these young guys full of goodness when they visit Lincoln, but can they ever be truly prepared for an completely invasive fan base?  Does mental toughness play into the recruiting stars? In a world of social media addiction and dependency, its  pretty unrealistic to have guys play for us while sacrificing their phones and other connective devices. Their families read the crap ,too.  And every team has asshat fans but now the asshat's have twitter and worse.  

On 10/19/2017 at 11:14 PM, Enhance said:

You're being contradictory. You're simultaneously saying the sellout streak doesn't matter but that the administration is making decisions because 'fans are leaving in droves.' Protection of the sellout streak is exactly what this is all about because the sellout streak = money. The sellout streak = fan support. It's an incredible asset to the athletic department. Making administrative moves now builds hope and hope sells tickets.

No, what I am saying is that a fan should go to games if they like what they see.  If a fan likes to watch NE getting blown off the field, then go:  most fan don't like that so won't go and when enough fans don't go, admin changes things pronto-money talks.

I don't think fans should go just to maintain a sellout streak.  I call that being a dupe.

Edited by Big Red Commie
  • Plus1 2
On 10/19/2017 at 9:36 PM, TonyStalloni said:

You think anyone inside the Nebraska Circle gives a rats ass what anyone on the outside thinks?  If you do that is on you.  As frustrated as I am about how the season has gone I will still support the team and will be in the stadium when I can.  I will never boo my team or my coaches when I am there.  Please don't waste any of your precious money showing up.  Please find another team that plays the way you like.

Haha, the True Fan Card, keep playing it...

If would-be recruits and the national media are laughing at us, it matters.  Was Wiscy/NE or tOSU/NE on primetime ABC this year for the big bucks?  No.  Why?  Because we suck and they know it.

Edited by Big Red Commie
  • Plus1 3
8 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

I have my doubts that the NFL is a big topic of conversation in our current locker room, just saying.

Good point. I'm thinking that JP brought that up as a 'compare-contrast' point when they were discussing why students choose one university over another now days.  Choosing a university just because the coach will prepare you for the NFL is interesting to me.  Pro sports, especially pro football, is such a fleeting job.  Whereas getting a degree will at least ensure you further employment when you've reached the age where you can no longer play football. I've always wondered what happens to those players that get hurt when they first start their football carreers and can no longer play.  Interesting topic. 

10 hours ago, krc1995 said:

Frost does it.  Did you see his first presser after they cracked the top 25 at 4-0?  He said he asked his team if they were rated.  Every one of them said "No".  He asked them what their record was, and every player said "0-0".  He has them laser focused.