Enough with the fan abuse

tmfr15

53 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I think the only way the offseason is going to be boring is if Riley is kept.

We have very different ideas of boring. 

Mine involves me sitting in my recliner in peace and quiet. Yours apparently has the neighbor kids firing bottle rockets at your windows.

Edited by brophog
  • Plus1 1

It's always interesting to me the perspectives that folks have on a particular program or guest on a program. I thought Big Red Wrap Up this past week was one of the most exciting shows they've had in a long time. I appreciated Damon Benning and especially Jason Peter perspective as they actually played the game and were heavily involved with the Husker teams of the past. 

What I took away from that program was certainly not 'fan abuse' rather how the culture has changed for Nebraska football comparing then and now and not just with the fans (e.g. Availability of social media now vs. word of mouth then) but with regards to the player culture.  For example, Jason Peter said the NFL was never mentioned in the locker room back in the day.  Now it seems that players join a team because the coach promises to develop the player for the NFL.  So the player is playing for the coach NOT for the University. That was the point Damon Benning was trying to make.  Back then when you signed up to play you were committing to play for the University of Nebraska, not for Tom Osborne (although who in their right mind wouldn't sign up with that winning coach!). The University was the focus not the coach.  That isn't the case now.  These boys sign up to play for a particular coach.  Because of that, when the coach leaves, the players they recruit also leave.  If the player was playing for the pride of the University, then it wouldn't matter who the coach was, they are playing to be their best as a representative of the University.  

That was my take.  I enjoy listening to former players compare the past with the present.  And unfortunately, fans do have a responsibility with regards to what they say on social medial because like it or not those players do read these message boards and what is said on Twitter.  I feel for these players right now.  They are in a quandary , not  because of the fans, NU fans support players no matter what and when our back is up against the wall we show up, but because they are in limbo with regards to the coaching situation.  If they were playing for the pride of the University instead of a certain coach would they have that fear? Or are those days long gone?

Again, this is my personal perspective. I've been watching Husker football since the early 80's and will continue. GBR!

Edited by ladyhawke
It's Jason Peter not Peters. Sorry bout that!

33 minutes ago, ladyhawke said:

It's always interesting to me the perspectives that folks have on a particular program or guest on a program. I thought Big Red Wrap Up this past week was one of the most exciting shows they've had in a long time. I appreciated Damon Benning and especially Jason Peters perspective as they actually played the game and were heavily involved with the Husker teams of the past. 

What I took away from that program was certainly not 'fan abuse' rather how the culture has changed for Nebraska football comparing then and now and not just with the fans (e.g. Availability of social media now vs. word of mouth then) but with regards to the player culture.  For example, Jason Peters said the NFL was never mentioned in the locker room back in the day.  Now it seems that players join a team because the coach promises to develop the player for the NFL.  So the player is playing for the coach NOT for the University. That was the point Damon Benning was trying to make.  Back then when you signed up to play you were committing to play for the University of Nebraska, not for Tom Osborne (although who in their right mind wouldn't sign up with that winning coach!). The University was the focus not the coach.  That isn't the case now.  These boys sign up to play for a particular coach.  Because of that, when the coach leaves, the players they recruit also leave.  If the player was playing for the pride of the University, then it wouldn't matter who the coach was, they are playing to be their best as a representative of the University.  

That was my take.  I enjoy listening to former players compare the past with the present.  And unfortunately, fans do have a responsibility with regards to what they say on social medial because like it or not those players do read these message boards and what is said on Twitter.  I feel for these players right now.  They are in a quandary , not  because of the fans, NU fans support players no matter what and when our back is up against the wall we show up, but because they are in limbo with regards to the coaching situation.  If they were playing for the pride of the University instead of a certain coach would they have that fear? Or are those days long gone?

Again, this is my personal perspective. I've been watching Husker football since the early 80's and will continue. GBR!

For future reference, it's Jason PETER.  

Anyone else catch Jason Peter's comment on Big Red Wrap-Up about our S&C program? Basically, he said he heard from a few people that if a player scores high on Boyd Epley's performance indexing test, that player didn't have to put as much work in the weight room as the other guys. They pretty much could have days off.

Then he made a comment that when he played for Nebraska, the S&C staff hated the players because they refused to leave and sometimes would keep working out for a few more hours.

I'm beginning to believe there is more internal strife within our football program than most people realize. It's like we have to drain the swamp and start over. After Osborne left, everyone all of a sudden had this ego of where they thought Nebraska should go, who to hire, what the standards were, our identity, etc.

All of these things have to be installed by a President, Chancellor, Athletic Director, and Head Coach. At this point, IMO, we've got 3 out of 4 trending upwards. Once we have all the right pieces in place, then it'll trickle downwards to the players who ultimately have to inspire each other and drive each other to be the best that they can be.

Edited by FTW
3 minutes ago, FTW said:

Anyone else catch Jason Peter's comment on Big Red Wrap-Up about our S&C program? Basically, he said he heard from a few people that if a player scores high on Boyd Epley's performance indexing test, that player didn't have to put as much work in the weight room as the other guys. They pretty much could have days off.

Then he made a comment that when he played for Nebraska, the S&C staff hated the players because they refused to leave and sometimes would keep working out for a few more hours.

I'm beginning to believe there is more internal strife within our football program than most people realize. It's like we have to drain the swamp and start over. After Osborne left, everyone all of a sudden had this ego of where they thought Nebraska should go, who to hire, what the standards were, our identity, etc.

All of these things have to be installed by a President, Chancellor, Athletic Director, and Head Coach. At this point, IMO, we've got 3 out of 4 trending upwards. Once we have all the right pieces in place, then it'll trickle downwards to the players who ultimately have to inspire each other and drive each other to be the best that they can be.

And I'm starting to think that Jason Peter is living in the past and can't handle not being in the spotlight.  

• Plus1 3

Just now, NM11046 said:

And I'm starting to think that Jason Peter is living in the past and can't handle not being in the spotlight.  

Personally, I think he provides a lot of good intel, especially when he argues for the program to return to basics i.e. run better, recruit better OL/DL and just hit the weight room harder, and practice harder. His biggest issue as I can see is he doesn't understand -- he didn't create a winning culture during his time at Nebraska, he became part of something that was built and took 15-20 years and he helped elevate it to another level.

That success takes time to get it right. The coaches we've hired since 2003 haven't been able to get it done. Some coaches can do it in today's game within 2-3 years and those are the highly talented ones with the most potential, and most sought after.

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

I expected more fan abuse images in this thread

The harruh.

• Plus1 1
41 minutes ago, FTW said:

Rob Zatechka said the same thing on his latest Doc Talk podcast.

2 minutes ago, Saunders said:

Rob Zatechka said the same thing on his latest Doc Talk podcast.

Yeah, I love listening to those guys. The last one was very long. Think they had one too many brewskies and moments of silence, lol. Doc sounded like he was buzzing and on autopilot and just kept going on and on... :lol:

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, NM11046 said:

Ladyhawke - I enjoy your contributions and attitude here on the board.

Thank you!  I love this board. I've been on it for a long time. It's a place where fans can come and contribute without getting slammed. Well, if you do get slammed it's because of the passion of the moment. Like arguing with your brother, sister or cousin. We're all one big happy disfunctional Husker Family.