Huskers Red Zone Offense Worst in B1G

Mavric

Nebraska’s red zone inefficiency at Purdue — six trips and just one touchdown — nearly cost the Huskers the victory, and it extended a season-long trend.

The closer NU gets to an opponent’s end zone, the worse NU is.

The Huskers average 4.26 points per red trip, which ranks last in the Big Ten and is on pace to be Nebraska’s worst red zone efficiency — by far — since joining the Big Ten. And the 4.26 average doesn’t count the two pick-sixes — against Northern Illinois and Wisconsin — thrown by quarterback Tanner Lee.

“We’ve got to make the plays,” Riley said.

“We’ve got to find a way,” Lee said.

“It’s really simple execution,” offensive coordinator Danny Langsdorf said.

Nebraska makes it look quite hard. De’Mornay Pierson-El lets a sure touchdown bounce off his chest. Two linemen fail to block one defender, who knifes in to tackle a Husker back for a 3-yard loss. Even NU’s failed two-point conversion play at Purdue, in which Lee rolled hard to his right and tossed a ball into traffic, looked bad.

Saturday’s opponent, Northwestern, has red zone efficiency down pat. The Wildcats rank first in the Big Ten, averaging 5.81 points per trip. They’ve scored four overtime touchdowns in the last two weeks, needing each one to beat Iowa and Michigan State, respectively. Northwestern quarterback Clayton Thorson has completed 61.9 percent of his passes and thrown nine touchdowns this season in the red zone.

OWH

At the end of the day, this is a systemic offense problem, right?  That or play-calling.  Either way, Langs/Cav/Riley is the problem.  That really sucks because it means a total overhaul is inevitable.  I know this is not new information, but I was hoping against hope that we could turn it around and things would start to come together offensively.  Not.  Gonna.  Happen.

51 minutes ago, Kiyoat Husker said:

At the end of the day, this is a systemic offense problem, right?  That or play-calling.  Either way, Langs/Cav/Riley is the problem.  That really sucks because it means a total overhaul is inevitable.  I know this is not new information, but I was hoping against hope that we could turn it around and things would start to come together offensively.  Not.  Gonna.  Happen.

Where do you gain advantages in the red zone?

Running game, including QB

Tall WR

Big Pass catching TE

Creative Play Calling