Turn Around - How long?

2 hours ago, GBRFAN said:

Agree with you in the idea of bordering Texas and Louisana - every time i look at the map of the United States i see the disadvantage that NU has.  However, back in the 70's 80's and 90's the United States looks just like it does in 2017.

Today’s college football landscape is drastically different than the olden days to which you refer - many more exceptional athletes, many programs with big budgets, and opportunities to play with numerous stellar programs. Seniors in high school today were newborn babies when we were last a top 10 program - 2001. Their dads may remember when we were considered a good program, but the kids sure don’t. The good old days are long gone. We will only rebuild with one recruit, one practice, one game, one year at a time. No simple answers, just a lot of work and determination. Unrealistic fan expectations will not get us there any faster.

8 minutes ago, moveitforward said:

Today’s college football landscape is drastically different than the olden days to which you refer - many more exceptional athletes, many programs with big budgets, and opportunities to play with numerous stellar programs. Seniors in high school today were newborn babies when we were last a top 10 program - 2001. Their dads may remember when we were considered a good program, but the kids sure don’t. The good old days are long gone. We will only rebuild with one recruit, one practice, one game, one year at a time. No simple answers, just a lot of work and determination. Unrealistic fan expectations will not get us there any faster.

Hey i'm buying everything you are selling ( if you go back to many of my post from the past year or so regarding walk on program and other related ) - you will see that i agree.

The discussion was OU says hello - everything  that you mentioned has also effected OU over a similar set of years. Yes our down cycle has been more recent then theirs however they sucked before we sucked and they got better before we (hopefully) get/got better.  I HOPE for the return of the 90's but don't at all expect it to happen (to that level) - there are a lot of opportunities at other universities that weren't around 25 years ago.

Edited by GBRFAN

I only have one specific goal for next season for a new coach and if he didn't meet that goal that would make me pissed off....that goal is make Ohio State punt the football in the first half. That is all I ask for. After that it is all about the basics - tech these kids proper techniques, how to play with discipline, play with confidence, etc. Just the basics. If that stuff can get accomplished then good things will come. 

Edited by jessica0

On 11/11/2017 at 1:39 PM, Redux said:

Well anything above 4-8 will be an improvement, so....immediately?

^^^This. Of course there are many possible interpretations of “Turn Around” but when things are headed south like now, with a good coach things can begin heading north immediately. Better than the last three years is a pretty low bar. I think we will see it pay off very quickly even with the brutal first year schedule. Even if it’s not reflected in the W-L record we should see improvement in intensity and scheme on day 1.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, MichiganDad3 said:

We will be back to 9 wins next year with Frost or another top coach. MR took a 9 win team down the drain, and most here were not too fond of Bo. Can't Frost do better than Bo?

What makes you think Frost is so much better than Bo?   A successful coach in both pro and college football at top programs?   Or Solich,  the chosen one who learned everything he knows about football from Devaney and Osborne for decades and who was a member of the Husker staff / former player for decades?    Or Callahan, a successful pro and college coach who came with recommendations from former Huskers who had success elsewhere?   Or Riley, who was it appears highly respected and admired by nearly all of the coaching and sports writing community in the country with decades of experience across college and professional ranks?   If you compare resumes of all of these guys, I am not sure, if you took out the names and the fact that Frost is a familiar name to most Husker fans and does not have any apparent 'negative' baggage as far as past Husker or other major college experience (e.g. Turner Gill), that Frost would particularly stand out as obviously the "ONE" choice and future savior of our beloved former program.?

I think it would be fantastic to believe that Frost or any other coach could suddenly transform this team into winners as some are stating so matter of factly!   This is just not realistic in my view.   I hope, if Frost is in fact hired (my son - with contacts inside the department - knowledge says we have offered him and it was rejected as inadequate $$$),. a miracle happens but I would not want to bet my money on it.   The odds are against it NO MATTER WHO WE HIRE!   

It took Tom Osborner 23 years as head coach who took over a two time national championship program to win his first!   I think if Tom took over, we could expect it would take 4 or 5 years to get us back to top ten status!       

16 minutes ago, southernoregonhusker said:

They may have earned their time, but look at our team and record.  They go hand in hand.  

Those guys are the only ones doing anything out there for the most part.  Weber is the the best player on our defense and I don’t even think it’s close.  If anything I’d take some more walkons especially on defense and offensive line.

If we would have had a coaching staff who instilled team identity, mental/physical  toughness, accountability, and got the absolute best out of every player we have, we would have won at least 3 more games this year. The talent is there, but sunshine, and lollipops doesn't win football games. The players seem soft, and confused. Fix that and were right back in it. 

2 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

What makes you think Frost is so much better than Bo?   A successful coach in both pro and college football at top programs?   Or Solich,  the chosen one who learned everything he knows about football from Devaney and Osborne for decades and who was a member of the Husker staff / former player for decades?    Or Callahan, a successful pro and college coach who came with recommendations from former Huskers who had success elsewhere?   Or Riley, who was it appears highly respected and admired by nearly all of the coaching and sports writing community in the country with decades of experience across college and professional ranks?   If you compare resumes of all of these guys, I am not sure, if you took out the names and the fact that Frost is a familiar name to most Husker fans and does not have any apparent 'negative' baggage as far as past Husker or other major college experience (e.g. Turner Gill), that Frost would particularly stand out as obviously the "ONE" choice and future savior of our beloved former program.?

I think it would be fantastic to believe that Frost or any other coach could suddenly transform this team into winners as some are stating so matter of factly!   This is just not realistic in my view.   I hope, if Frost is in fact hired (my son - with contacts inside the department - knowledge says we have offered him and it was rejected as inadequate $$$),. a miracle happens but I would not want to bet my money on it.   The odds are against it NO MATTER WHO WE HIRE!   

It took Tom Osborner 23 years as head coach who took over a two time national championship program to win his first!   I think if Tom took over, we could expect it would take 4 or 5 years to get us back to top ten status!       

Nobody is asking for a NC in short order. The level that has been mentioned is eight or nine wins. The level that Frank and Bo, both average coaches, were able to reach regularly. Right now Frost has a much better resume at reviving a team than either of them.  Can he do it here? That’s the question.

But basic fundamental coaching would have added how many wins over MR’s tenure here? I know that it’s a running joke about all of being “armchair QB’s” here, but the reality is there are A LOT of questionable decisions made within our program that run very contradictory to seemingly basic football. 

And I think it’s become pretty obvious why MR has the respect of coaches (if you were an opposing coach, wouldn’t you buildhim up?), and writers (he’s a super nice guy who actually answer).