The Democrat Utopia

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

Neil Young...anyone shocked that dude is still around?

He would go near the top of my list of musicians that I can't believe are rich.  Right next to Jimmy Buffet.

With that said I also can't believe Rogan makes the money that he does.  Dude hosted Fear Factor!

I thought Jimmy Buffett sleeps under his Jeep on the beach with a bottle of pre-mixed Margarita.

• Haha 2

On 2/1/2022 at 4:30 AM, nic said:

I honestly don't know where to go from here. We can't shut down everyone we disagree with politically. Even members of SCOTUS got caught saying incorrect info about COVID numbers in verbal arguments. Big Tech won't get it right. The people who monitor the platform content have their own bias and agenda. The media seems to have the same problem or rushes to print a story with incorrect assumptions. I guess we preface everything we write or say with... "in my opinion". Time to take a deep breath. I hope the middle two thirds of the country is still sane and rational.

While I agree with your general take, Neil Young was expressing his own freedom of speech by moving his music to a different platform. Joe Rogan is free to do the same.

• Plus1 2
28 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

While I agree with your general take, Neil Young was expressing his own freedom of speech by moving his music to a different platform. Joe Rogan is free to do the same.

Wow this is amazing @RedDenver and well said.  I was just thinking about freedom of speech earlier this morning, and you mentioned it!!! And although I am nowhere near as smart as you, I found it interesting I was thinking the same

• Oh Yeah! 1
2 hours ago, RedDenver said:

I think it goes beyond Neil Young moving to a new platform. And I totally agree he is more than welcome to do that. Bonus if he makes more $$ out of it.  I think this about how many performers it takes to pressure Spotify into removing Rogan from its platform. Rogan won’t leave. He claims 11M listeners. If enough people leave to counter the 11 million listeners Spotify may comply for business reasons. Either way Spotify is the loser and I suspect they told Rogan to apologize and move on for now. This is similar to the spice company getting boycotted. Politics is bad for business. Somehow Chick-fil-a manages to grow despite the backlash. Good products I guess. Not really a fan though.

• Plus1 2
6 hours ago, nic said:

Some of the language makes me wonder if this is presented to imply that two heterosexual parents having kids living on their own is bad.

When you asked I assumed the language was coming from someone defending "nuclear family", in which case that's usually what that language would imply.

In this case, all it means is, "We create spaces for all different kinds of relationships"

6 hours ago, nic said:

Black Families creates a space that is family friendly and free from patriarchal practices. “There are lots of different kinds of families; what makes a family is that it’s people who take care of each other. It’s important to make sure that all families feel welcome.” 

Black Villages is the disruption of Western nuclear family dynamics and a return to the “collective village” that takes care of each other. “There are lots of different kinds of families; what makes a family is that it’s people who take care of each other; those people might be related, or maybe they choose to be family together and to take care of each other. Sometimes, when it’s lots of families together, it can be called a village”

1 hour ago, nic said:

I think it goes beyond Neil Young moving to a new platform. And I totally agree he is more than welcome to do that. Bonus if he makes more $$ out of it.  I think this about how many performers it takes to pressure Spotify into removing Rogan from its platform. Rogan won’t leave. He claims 11M listeners. If enough people leave to counter the 11 million listeners Spotify may comply for business reasons. Either way Spotify is the loser and I suspect they told Rogan to apologize and move on for now. This is similar to the spice company getting boycotted. Politics is bad for business. Somehow Chick-fil-a manages to grow despite the backlash. Good products I guess. Not really a fan though.

Spotify made this bed when they signed on Rogan. It wasn't a mystery that Rogan talks politics before Spotify signed him, so I'm not all that sympathetic to Spotify especially given political talk shows are a part of their business. And Rogan is making part of his money off of his misinformation about covid, so I'm not all that sympathetic towards him either. Rogan runs his own show and could bring on experts to help educate him and his audience on what he got wrong about covid or he could double down on the misinformation, so he's free to take actions on his show about the issues.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Spotify made this bed when they signed on Rogan. It wasn't a mystery that Rogan talks politics before Spotify signed him, so I'm not all that sympathetic to Spotify especially given political talk shows are a part of their business. And Rogan is making part of his money off of his misinformation about covid, so I'm not all that sympathetic towards him either. Rogan runs his own show and could bring on experts to help educate him and his audience on what he got wrong about covid or he could double down on the misinformation, so he's free to take actions on his show about the issues.

Joe Rogan did have Sanjay Gupta from CNN on his show for like 2 hrs.  

• Plus1 2
22 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Joe Rogan did have Sanjay Gupta from CNN on his show for like 2 hrs.  

Fair enough. I rarely watch Rogan.

17 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Neil Young left a platform that encourages a wide variety of ideas to be spoken about, for a company that uses basically slave labor to build its products while supporting a human rights abusing regimen :dunno   He has interesting priorities.  

There's valid criticisms about Neil Young and Apple for sure. But those don't affect criticisms of Rogan or Spotify about covid misinformation.

1 hour ago, Lorewarn said:

When you asked I assumed the language was coming from someone defending "nuclear family", in which case that's usually what that language would imply.

In this case, all it means is, "We create spaces for all different kinds of relationships"

This language got me.

“ creates a space that is family friendly and free from patriarchal practices.”

almost as if dads are bad….

“ disruption of Western nuclear family dynamics”

Disruption seems like doing away with it…or rearranging maybe. And why Western? Is that referring to Western culture? Seems like “us vs. them”. Western culture is bad.

• Plus1 2