The Democrat Utopia

1 hour ago, Lorewarn said:

I don't necessarily land on either side of this, and think language is never static and people have likely always bemoaned the 'lessened impact' of words being used more frequently throughout time. 

My main question is, how and when do you know something is a genocide while it's happening in real time as opposed to calling that with the lens of history.

My main question is why does some rich college kid think sitting in an office that is not his and refusing to leave will end 2000 years of killing?

Maybe instead of being a giant huge dork he should have spent his time studying more, got a great degree, started working for the government or an organization that helps people and went to the middle east to try to make change.  Oh wait, but that would actually be doing something and not as "awesome" of a social media b!^@h session moment.  

• TBH 4

:huh:

https://www.foxnews.com/media/state-department-mandates-support-dei-ideology-prerequisite-promotions-judged

According to Abercrombie-Winstanley, State created a policy under Biden that conditions promotions on whether employees are able to demonstrate through documentation that they are actively involved in DEI practices. 

"We made the change that if you wanted to be considered for promotion at the Department of State, you must be able to document what you are doing to support diversity, equity and inclusion and accessibility. This is how you are judged for promotion," she said at a City Club Forum event in April 2023. "So that means my allies who are not female or minority are also interested in being able to show 'I'm doing good work on this.'" 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Worth a Look 1

2 hours ago, nic said:

:huh:

https://www.foxnews.com/media/state-department-mandates-support-dei-ideology-prerequisite-promotions-judged

According to Abercrombie-Winstanley, State created a policy under Biden that conditions promotions on whether employees are able to demonstrate through documentation that they are actively involved in DEI practices. 

"We made the change that if you wanted to be considered for promotion at the Department of State, you must be able to document what you are doing to support diversity, equity and inclusion and accessibility. This is how you are judged for promotion," she said at a City Club Forum event in April 2023. "So that means my allies who are not female or minority are also interested in being able to show 'I'm doing good work on this.'" 

No, this seems like it’s one small part of what you must do.  

why is this a problem?

• TBH 1
On 4/9/2024 at 11:01 AM, teachercd said:

My main question is why does some rich college kid think sitting in an office that is not his and refusing to leave will end 2000 years of killing?

Maybe instead of being a giant huge dork he should have spent his time studying more, got a great degree, started working for the government or an organization that helps people and went to the middle east to try to make change.  Oh wait, but that would actually be doing something and not as "awesome" of a social media b!^@h session moment.  

Well a funny thing happened.

In the immediate wake of October 7, the college students of the activist Left began protesting Israel's prosecution of Hamas in Gaza, warning that it would be indiscriminate and devastating to the Palestinian people, and advance Netanyahu's longstanding intention of simply seizing Gaza. They made some pretty outrageous claims about the IDF lying, threw the word genocide around, questioned why American taxpayers were funding it, and went directly at Biden. At the time, roughly 98% of the media and politicians were sticking extremely close to unconditional support for Israel, and the college kids were roundly mocked.

Six months later, coverage has leaned heavily towards concern for Palestinians, criticism of Netanyahu has grown louder (in Israel as well), IDF propaganda was exposed, there's been a nearly universal call for a cease-fire, and both Democrats and Republicans are now open to reviewing our military support of Israel on a contingency basis. That's the very definition of change. Maybe the kids were right. Or at least half right. Somebody has to pull the discussion to the center, where truth often resides. 

If you want to talk about lazy ill-informed folk who only lift a finger to b!^@h on social media, I'd value your input. 

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

In the immediate wake of October 7, the college students of the activist Left began protesting Israel's prosecution of Hamas in Gaza, warning that it would be indiscriminate and devastating to the Palestinian people, and advance Netanyahu's longstanding intention of simply seizing Gaza. They made some pretty outrageous claims about the IDF lying, threw the word genocide around, questioned why American taxpayers were funding it, and went directly at Biden. At the time, roughly 98% of the media and politicians were sticking extremely close to unconditional support for Israel, and the college kids were roundly mocked.

Six months later, coverage has leaned heavily towards concern for Palestinians, criticism of Netanyahu has grown louder (in Israel as well), IDF propaganda was exposed, there's been a nearly universal call for a cease-fire, and both Democrats and Republicans are now open to reviewing our military support of Israel on a contingency basis. That's the very definition of change. Maybe the kids were right. Or at least half right. Somebody has to pull the discussion to the center, where truth often resides. 

If you want to talk about lazy ill-informed folk who only lift a finger to b!^@h on social media, I'd value your input. 

Well thank you :)

As do I value yours!

• Plus1 2

9 hours ago, knapplc said:

It makes more sense when you realize DEI is the new racist dogwhistle.

No kidding!  I already forgot what the old one was called that was making teachers make white kids hate themselves.  We don’t hear much about it anymore.  Biden must have stopped it!

edit:  critical race theory!  It took me a minute.  What ever happened with all that?

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1
12 minutes ago, funhusker said:

No kidding!  I already forgot what the old one was called that was making teachers make white kids hate themselves.  We don’t hear much about it anymore.  Biden must have stopped it!

edit:  critical race theory!  It took me a minute.  What ever happened with all that?

We had a guest DEI person for I think 4 days of development.  Well after the 3rd session the person was asked to not come back.  They used a very "wrong wrong" Hahaha

• Worth a Look 3
4 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It's important to remember/understand that progress at the societal level is a slow inching progress, and in large part comes via blunt instruments. 

Not everything that seems outrageous and too far and unreasonable and delusional in present time ends up affecting change down the line, but everything that does affect change down the line did seem outrageous/too far/unreasonable/delusional at the time. 

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, teachercd said:

We had a guest DEI person for I think 4 days of development.  Well after the 3rd session the person was asked to not come back.  They used a very "wrong wrong" Hahaha

What, specifically, did they say?

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

What, specifically, did they say?

You ever seen the “Office” episode when Holly confuses Kevin for special needs?

The speaker was probably buying @teachercd candy bars and other treats to tell him he was doing great and admin realized he was using it as an excuse to get hugs from the lady…

• Haha 2
  • TBH 1