The Democrat Utopia

4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

This is called "being normal" it is was 99% of us do and why 99% of us have friends and don't freak out on people.

One of my golfing friends made fun of me for not liking guns, somehow I was able to overcome that hateful day and still golf with him.

I am totally pro choice and my friends that are against that are still my friends.  Then again, when I miss a 3 footer on the green they don't yell out "baby killer!"

Oh....one of my best gold friends is a huge MAGA head.  One time he needed to make a putt to win and I just simply mentioned something negative about Trump.....he got so flustered he couldn't putt.  

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Clearly, because while some situations make big headlines to keep the right all frothed, campuses have no lack of conservative speech. 

I hope you are right, but I have examples from relatives who say otherwise. Relatives that are students on campuses. It is still a small sample size.

land yes, Lots in the news about speakers who have been protested and end up removed or moved. 

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Oh....one of my best gold friends is a huge MAGA head.  One time he needed to make a putt to win and I just simply mentioned something negative about Trump.....he got so flustered he couldn't putt.  

Hahaha!

That is funny s#!t!  

And yet you are still friends!  He is probably more pissed at you because he missed the putt and not because you don't believe in what he does.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Hahaha!

That is funny s#!t!  

And yet you are still friends!  He is probably more pissed at you because he missed the putt and not because you don't believe in what he does.

Oh yeah....he's part of my friday club so, it's all good.  We both laughed so hard after his failed putt.  He knew exactly what I was doing...and it worked.

If you can't handle tactics like that on the course, you better not play with my group.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Oh yeah....he's part of my friday club so, it's all good.  We both laughed so hard after his failed putt.  He knew exactly what I was doing...and it worked.

If you can't handle tactics like that on the course, you better not play with my group.

Hahaha!

I can't remember the last time I had a sound/distraction free putt!  I am not even sure if I could putt with silence anymore!

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

28 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I get what you are saying but If you are in college and trying to talk about healthcare reform...you won't have to worry about screening your friends.  

No kidding.   I could count on one hand the number of times I had a political discussion in college.   My time was better spent studying, working out, playing football, parties with friends (especially the ones with benefits) and then dreading going out into the real world when it was close to over.   

• Plus1 2
13 minutes ago, nic said:

I hope you are right, but I have examples from relatives who say otherwise. Relatives that are students on campuses. It is still a small sample size.

land yes, Lots in the news about speakers who have been protested and end up removed or moved. 

What college campus doesn't allow conservative speech? 

• Plus1 2
20 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

No kidding.   I could count on one hand the number of times I had a political discussion in college.   My time was better spent studying, working out, playing football, parties with friends (especially the ones with benefits) and then dreading going out into the real world when it was close to over.   

Politics was never part of my college experience. Not even in civics class. :cowbell:

Honestly, politics among my friends and family started to heat up after the 2000 election lawsuits.

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, nic said:

Politics was never part of my college experience. Not even in civics class. :cowbell:

Honestly, politics among my friends and family started to heat up after the 2000 election lawsuits.

I am trying to think back to college and if there would have even been a time where I would have been like "Hey, do you want to VHS and Chill tonight, wait though...can you first tell me your thoughts on the death penality" 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, nic said:

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

I am trying to think back to college and if there would have even been a time where I would have been like "Hey, do you want to VHS and Chill tonight, wait though...can you first tell me your thoughts on the death penality" 

This explains a lot. 

• Plus1 3

I'd say "politics" didn't come up often in college but issues like opinions on gay marriage, women's right to choose, racial issues and etc all did.  And it did matter to me.  Those are things that in my opinion define a person's character.

Some of us stayed friendly - I had a conversation in 2016 with my sophomore roomies (who are both now crazy churchy) about how I could understand abortion rights being an issue they care about, but how do you overlook all the other character flaws the GOP candidate came with?  For one, him making fun of handicapped people and his insults against women (amoung other things) swayed her to vote for Clinton even though she is adamently pro life and the other said that she hated the those same things but the abortion issue was the only thing that motivates her to vote - character didn't matter as long as abortion was not supported (super interesting as she actually had one that year - find it fascinating that she was opposed to others having that same right - just because you regret yours doesn't mean it shouldn't be allowed).  

Was interesting to see them debate as the core of their beliefs were so similar yet they were both very opinionated about their vote.  Today one is full out MAGA (wouldn't surprise me if she was in DC 1/6) and the other is just less engaged.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, NM11046 said:

I'd say "politics" didn't come up often in college but issues like opinions on gay marriage, women's right to choose, racial issues and etc all did.  And it did matter to me.  Those are things that in my opinion define a person's character.

It really depends on the company you keep. Some folks aren't in to political topics, so it's odd to them that others talk about this kind of stuff.

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

It really depends on the company you keep. Some folks aren't in to political topics, so it's odd to them that others talk about this kind of stuff.

Agreed - and to be honest, the abortion issue is one that I think is probably discussed more by women than men.  

But I think of these topics less about politics and more about character and how you feel about your fellow humans being treated fairly.  

• Plus1 1