The Democrat Utopia

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

Well, again, you're just flaming me here and I don't understand why.  You brought it up.

It really seems like you're trying to start an argument rather than have a real discussion.

I think I remember that you are the poster that also doubted that I read from both liberal and conservative news outlets. If not I apologize, but I am starting to suspect you simply do not trust me. That is is ok. It’s hard to trust strangers on forum who can post anything. I will try and remember to get more details for you over the Holidays if I see my niece and friend.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, nic said:

Sorry but I don’t want to divulge names and classes now that I mentioned the universities. I have been down this road before with someone on this board where more answers just led to more detailed questions. I believe their premise was that I was lying, or the people who told me about their encounters were lying, and they were just going to keep up the conversation like a trial lawyer. I work, so I don’t have much time to immediately answer questions and it gets tiresome. I have no reason to believe that the people were lying to me about these two situations. I think that spending time refreshing the details for you really doesn’t have a purpose, because I do not think you will believe it anyway.

If you are referring to our conversation a while back about the old man who was subject to cancel culture or some such thing, I never accused you of lying, but I did ask a lot of questions to implore some critical thinking about the subject, because there were a lot of things that did not make sense to me. That is how conversations work. I believe knapplc is asking similar questions to try to understand these incidents you are referring to. 

I am interested as well. I work on a college campus and routinely see potential challenges to issues that we would typically consider matters of free speech or academic freedom. It happens to on the liberal side and conservative side alike. However, there are students, faculty members, general counsels, and civil rights investigators who give a very critical eye to all of these incidents when they occur. It is very common for people to have a misunderstanding of what is actually happening and what is and isn’t allowed to happen at a public university. What knapplc is asking for are details so we can apply some critical thought. Feel free to engage!

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, nic said:

I think I remember that you are the poster that also doubted that I read from both liberal and conservative news outlets. If not I apologize, but I am starting to suspect you simply do not trust me. That is is ok. It’s hard to trust strangers on forum who can post anything. I will try and remember to get more details for you over the Holidays if I see my niece and friend.

You said you knew people who were shut down on college campuses for being conservative. I asked for more info. Since then you've been playing the victim.

An honest conversation would just be you recounting what you said you had information about. Instead you turned it into accusations and weirdness.

35 minutes ago, knapplc said:

You said you knew people who were shut down on college campuses for being conservative. I asked for more info. Since then you've been playing the victim.

An honest conversation would just be you recounting what you said you had information about. Instead you turned it into accusations and weirdness.

MIT

35 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Harvard

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

Trying to "gotcha" win based off of immediate responses to something that has had really large amounts of info come out after those responses is lame and trying way too hard.

It's not like it's even difficult to poke fun at Biden/Kamala/Pelosi/etc., even in regards to this specific thing. Point out something more pertinent, like their lack of commentary NOW or something. 

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Trying to "gotcha" win based off of immediate responses to something that has had really large amounts of info come out after those responses is lame and trying way too hard.

It's not like it's even difficult to poke fun at Biden/Kamala/Pelosi/etc., even in regards to this specific thing. Point out something more pertinent, like their lack of commentary NOW or something. 

It shows a lack of understanding on how to wait on the true story of the news story.  Pretty much everyone with a brain knew this story was bunk within 24-48 hrs.  But a good many prominent Dems had to have their say so and help divide the country so now they get their shame.

Trying to call out a poster for posting facts so you can get some self satisfaction of who knows what is kinda lame and trying way to hard to make themselves feel better. 

• Plus1 2

On 12/9/2021 at 6:21 PM, Ulty said:

If you are referring to our conversation a while back about the old man who was subject to cancel culture or some such thing, I never accused you of lying, but I did ask a lot of questions to implore some critical thinking about the subject, because there were a lot of things that did not make sense to me. That is how conversations work. I believe knapplc is asking similar questions to try to understand these incidents you are referring to. 

I am interested as well. I work on a college campus and routinely see potential challenges to issues that we would typically consider matters of free speech or academic freedom. It happens to on the liberal side and conservative side alike. However, there are students, faculty members, general counsels, and civil rights investigators who give a very critical eye to all of these incidents when they occur. It is very common for people to have a misunderstanding of what is actually happening and what is and isn’t allowed to happen at a public university. What knapplc is asking for are details so we can apply some critical thought. Feel free to engage!

I am not remembering the old man....maybe the guy from way way back who used the term 'girls' and got written up by the union? that was over 20+ years ago. I was thinking about the doubt on reading multiple news sources to try and filter the media bias. I think folks here would prefer personal stories versus 'friends/family' that have shared stories since the latter is coming at you second hand. I haven't been cancelled yet, but I have worked for companies that are.....small and private for the most part. Except at the beginning of my career.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Public service announcement. 

Definitely some truth to this, discounting the typo. Nobody likes pleading caution when someone hangs out a chunk of red meat like this. 

But I don't think the issue of Rushing to Judgement is partisan enough to make The Democrat Utopia thread. 

It's a problem of 24/7 news channels, social media as the court of public opinion, and bloggers posing as journalists. 

Imagine CNN, Fox, MSNBC, Breitbart or Slate either ignoring a leaked story like this, or refusing to speculate until they learn more.

That just doesn't happen. They will literally say "we don't know the details" and then follow up with hours of frothy speculation. 

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Definitely some truth to this, discounting the typo. Nobody likes pleading caution when someone hangs out a chunk of red meat like this. 

But I don't think the issue of Rushing to Judgement is partisan enough to make The Democrat Utopia thread. 

It's a problem of 24/7 news channels, social media as the court of public opinion, and bloggers posing as journalists. 

Imagine CNN, Fox, MSNBC, Breitbart or Slate either ignoring a leaked story like this, or refusing to speculate until they learn more.

That just doesn't happen. They will literally say "we don't know the details" and then follow up with hours of frothy speculation. 

It’s partisan enough to happen way more often affecting right leaning subjects or subject matter. 

Here’s to hoping the twitter typo didn’t confuse you too much.  :cheers

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Deep in your heart you surely know this isn’t true.

Deep in my heart I know it’s true as does any open minded person.  That said I guess I’m not surprised that you disagree.  If it weren’t I assume you would have already posted 8 high profile stories similar to those in scope John posted to dispute it.  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1