Non-Scott Frost Coaching Options

Roger Dorn

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/long-reported-exit-intriguing-next-option-arkansas-2017/

The bold below is something I would disagree with strongly.  I think NU  fans would be greatly disappointed if Bielema was selected as our next coach. 

But it’s not a slam dunk that Frost will wind up in Lincoln. Despite those splashy names that are getting thrown around at Florida and Tennessee, both programs have deep pockets and seem more than capable of making a serious run at the Wood River, Neb., native.

Bielema, however, would be the ultimate consolation prize.

After all, Wisconsin’s model of success is the one that Nebraska is so desperate to emulate. Who knows that model better than Bielema?

He can either deal with that uncertainty, or he can let Nebraska woo (pig) him away. Why not go to a program with more resources, coach for an athletic director who wants you around and get back to the conference where you made yourself one of the top coaches in America? This wouldn’t be some tail-between-the-legs move back to the B1G. It’d be Nebraska, a program with ample history and resources that Bielema could thrive with.

It almost makes too much sense.

I can already picture Bielema’s offense running for 400 yards against some B1G West foe and hearing 90,000 at Memorial Stadium give that “this is what we’ve been waiting for” type of applause.

Bielema would be welcomed in open arms in Lincoln. He wouldn’t have the brash, defensive attitude of Bo Pelini. Bielema wouldn’t have the hapless, we’ll-get-em-next-time demeanor of nice guy Riley. Bielema would bring energy and a chuckle to a program that hasn’t had enough of that in the 21st century.

• Plus1 1

49 minutes ago, skersfan said:

In honesty, I think Coach Frost would be good for Nebraska, but still feel there are others that have experience at the Nebraska level.  Going from UCF to Nebraska is a big change in many many ways.  Not a big fan of Chip Kelly, but he has ran a program that is comparative.  I am really concerned who we get if Coach Frost says no.  And how the fan base will react.  A huge kick in the balls, plus the next coach will know they were not even considered to be worthy.  Not a good way to start.  

There have been some very good recommendations, and I fall in line with those.  Matt Campbell seems to have put quite a team together.

I don't know that I really want Coach Frost, but I know he is really all the fan base is going to welcome.    

To a certain extent yea. However, I think it just needs to be a big splash hire. I think if Frost wasn't even coaching right now, it would be the same deal-- who ever it is just needs to move the needle enough for fans. We know Scott will move the needle a lot so if it isn't him, it will have to be someone who can move the needle comparatively.

The problem I see there, is if he would turn down Nebraska, what big name would satisfy, and what big name would say yes.  If a hometown boy that lead said school to a NC does not want to return, there would have to be reasons.  It really is putting us in a very bad situation.  Hopefully for Nebraska fans, he comes home.   I understand the money side for the next coach, but I would really prefer someone that wanted to be here, and didn't just come for the money.  If Coach Frost says no, that is what we will be getting I am afraid.

2 hours ago, moveitforward said:

Simply wishful thinking to believe that Matt Campbell would leave ISU to pick up the pieces of our program. That is not going to happen.

IHe makes what 2 million a year? If NU offered 4-5, I think it would be hard to turn down. ISU isn't going to sustain long term success regardless of who the coach is or compete with B10 money. If Moos wants him and ponies up, he would accept imo. 

1 hour ago, KCBuc said:

IHe makes what 2 million a year? If NU offered 4-5, I think it would be hard to turn down. ISU isn't going to sustain long term success regardless of who the coach is or compete with B10 money. If Moos wants him and ponies up, he would accept imo. 

4-5 million a year plus 9.4 million buy out, WAY TO STEEP A PRICE

4 hours ago, TGHusker said:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkansas-football/long-reported-exit-intriguing-next-option-arkansas-2017/

The bold below is something I would disagree with strongly.  I think NU  fans would be greatly disappointed if Bielema was selected as our next coach. 

But it’s not a slam dunk that Frost will wind up in Lincoln. Despite those splashy names that are getting thrown around at Florida and Tennessee, both programs have deep pockets and seem more than capable of making a serious run at the Wood River, Neb., native.

Bielema, however, would be the ultimate consolation prize.

After all, Wisconsin’s model of success is the one that Nebraska is so desperate to emulate. Who knows that model better than Bielema?

He can either deal with that uncertainty, or he can let Nebraska woo (pig) him away. Why not go to a program with more resources, coach for an athletic director who wants you around and get back to the conference where you made yourself one of the top coaches in America? This wouldn’t be some tail-between-the-legs move back to the B1G. It’d be Nebraska, a program with ample history and resources that Bielema could thrive with.

It almost makes too much sense.

I can already picture Bielema’s offense running for 400 yards against some B1G West foe and hearing 90,000 at Memorial Stadium give that “this is what we’ve been waiting for” type of applause.

Bielema would be welcomed in open arms in Lincoln. He wouldn’t have the brash, defensive attitude of Bo Pelini. Bielema wouldn’t have the hapless, we’ll-get-em-next-time demeanor of nice guy Riley. Bielema would bring energy and a chuckle to a program that hasn’t had enough of that in the 21st century.

Whoever wrote that article is 1000% delusional.  I honestly dont think i could support the team.  I didnt want Callahan, I didnt want Riley.  I supported the team regardless, but if Bert was hired.  I think I'd tag out until "it" was gone.  He is just such a despicable human being.

8 hours ago, Mavric said:

Honest question - just to have something a little different to talk about:

What is everyone's problem with Bielema?  Not that he's at the top of my list but I guess I'm not completely anti-him like a lot of people seem to be.  What am I missing/forgetting?

I swear I've asked this question a half-dozen times over the years and never gotten any semblance of an answer.

Wiscy replaced Biliema and his replacement and just got better. Meanwhile both guys faltered in their next job.  Chryst did OK at Pitt, now he cranks-out double-digit win seasons. This isn't all just coincidence. Alvarez has his fingers all over that program and they've got his formula for success down, the guy is meddlesome but he does know his s***.  Biliema isn't a bad coach, he'd be an improvement over Riley, but he's hardly anything special(obviously, see Arkie).  I actually kinda like his obnoxious-streak, he's entertaining, but he's just not a guy that can take us back to power status. 

• Plus1 2

The Bielema stuff is amusing...  

Yes, Barry developed the identity of the program and his presence looms large but you can't just look at Bielema's success in Madison as only a result of Barry's influence. Bielema came on board as defensive coordinator and recruiting coordinator. By the time he took over for Barry, Wisconsin's roster was packed full of guys that came in under Bielema in the recruiting coordinator role. Mike Hankwitz was the DC during his first two seasons. Paul Chryst was already on the staff during Barry's last year and was retained when Bielema took over.  Within 2 years UW started to slip a bit and some staffing changes were made. Hankwitz was out and Dave Doeren replaced him. So the coordinators were Chryst and Doeren. The first year of that duo was a bit shaky but then things took off. Bielema worked closely with the special teams units and they were shaky. It wasn't a "Bielema offense that ran over teams," it was a Paul Chryst offense that ran over teams. Then when Chryst left Matt Canada came in and dialed up the 70-21 beat down in Indy. Canada is currently the OC at LSU.  

Wisconsin's current coaching staff is one of two in FBS where the head coach and both coordinators are alumni. The other being Air Force. They understand the program, the recruiting limitations, and what it takes to be successful at a place like that. Barry is probably less meddlesome now than he ever was before simply because Chryst, Jim Leonhard, and Joe Rudolph understand the formula. 

Bielema can be successful but he needs to put together one heck of a staff. He inherited Chryst and struck gold with Doeren. At Arkansas he wasn't as lucky. The irony about his time at UW was that there were plenty of situations where he made poor decisions away from football but yet he continually brought in top notch players who excelled on and off the field. There were exceptions and every program has a guy here and there who mess up off of the field but for the most part when compared to other programs Wisconsin rarely had off the field issues under Bielema. 

On 11/13/2017 at 1:10 PM, Mavric said:

Just thought this was interesting.  I'm sure we'll hear it again.  Just about EVERY hire is a home-run hire.

DOiNRoBX0AI1JKH.jpg

DOiNSQSWAAA7ju3.jpg

DOiNTCnW4AIIEzt.jpg

DOiNTrmW4AAnj4A.jpg

Most people dont know ish about college football coaching hires (mayweather sr. voice ) 

I am always a little Gotlieb and Herbstreit....should have know it was a bad hire.  SMH