Head Basketball Coach Search

14 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

I think miles has done well enough this year that he has to be given another year.  If not then it must be a slam dunk hire to replace him.  Don't see that happening.   

He's not getting fired this year. His seat went from hot to lukewarm, but a step back next year and the pitchforks will be out in full force.

8 hours ago, swmohusker said:

I think miles has done well enough this year that he has to be given another year.  If not then it must be a slam dunk hire to replace him.  Don't see that happening.   

Dunno. Depends on what Moos has set in his mind for criteria. If Miles needed to make the NCAA tourney to keep his job safe, he most likely didn’t do that. Yes we had substantial improvement, but history shows that won’t be sustained next year. 

Frankly, I’m to where I am indifferent about giving Miles another season. We’ve been flirting with competence under Miles but whenever the big games happen, we typically show little in the way of preparation, progress, or a positive/loose mindset. Don’t know that Miles has the basketball mind to make the improvements necessary for sustained success.

It’s as if Miles is a much nicer version of Bo Pelini—he can build up win totals and occasionally steal a game from a better team, but when the spotlight is on the team, they usually crap the bed (unless we’re at home). 

Bottom line: Nebraska basketball and its fans deserve measured, sustained progress and a coach that can make the adjustments and win the big games away from home. I don’t think we have that, sadly. :dunno

• Plus1 8
7 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Dunno. Depends on what Moos has set in his mind for criteria. If Miles needed to make the NCAA tourney to keep his job safe, he most likely didn’t do that. Yes we had substantial improvement, but history shows that won’t be sustained next year. 

Frankly, I’m to where I am indifferent about giving Miles another season. We’ve been flirting with competence under Miles but whenever the big games happen, we typically show little in the way of preparation, progress, or a positive/loose mindset. Don’t know that Miles has the basketball mind to make the improvements necessary for sustained success.

It’s as if Miles is a much nicer version of Bo Pelini—he can build up win totals and occasionally steal a game from a better team, but when the spotlight is on the team, they usually crap the bed (unless we’re at home). 

Bottom line: Nebraska basketball and its fans deserve measured, sustained progress and a coach that can make the adjustments and win the big games away from home. I don’t think we have that, sadly. :dunno

Would +2 if possible.  Well said @VectorVictor

• Plus1 1

To me it is going to depend if the underclassmen stay or we have a bunch of players leaving again. If players are staying then Miles should get one more year, if we have another year of a few players leaving then maybe it’s time to move on from Miles. He has to be able to keep the key players here. 

21 hours ago, huskersrule95 said:

To me it is going to depend if the underclassmen stay or we have a bunch of players leaving again. If players are staying then Miles should get one more year, if we have another year of a few players leaving then maybe it’s time to move on from Miles. He has to be able to keep the key players here. 

Why? We had all of our key players back after the last NCAA Tournament visit, we were pre-season Top 25 in a few places even...and Miles got read like a picture book by opposing coaches. There’s nothing to suggest he’s upped his coaching acumen since then, or we’d be talking about the upcoming B1G Tourney title game. 

BTW, don’t get me wrong. Miles is a great person and has been a positive media presence for our program.

But then again, so was Doc Saddler.

Edited by VectorVictor
4 hours ago, Mavric said:

Doc Sadler at Nebraska: 101-89 (53.2%)

Tim Miles at Nebraska: 97-96 (50.3%)

In all fairness, the Doc Saddler wins were in a decidedly easier basketball conference. But yeah, I didn’t even realize the records were that similar. 

3 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

In all fairness, the Doc Saddler wins were in a decidedly easier basketball conference. But yeah, I didn’t even realize the records were that similar. 

Are you sure about that? Big 12 usually had 4-5 teams ranked. His non-con was usually fluff though.

5 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

That seems to be the narrative.  But I did some research on it last year and it doesn't really turn out to be the case:

On 4/24/2017 at 1:30 PM, Mavric said:

Conference RPI by year:

Year - B1G - Big 8/XII - Huskers Conference Record

Danny Nee

94-95 - .5534 - .5982

95-96 - .5657 - .5719

96-97 - .5656 - .5687

97-98 - .5598 - .5480

98-99 - .5635 - .5614

99-00 - .5891 - .5398

00-01 - .5635 - .5614

Barry Collier

01-02 - .5543 - .5604 - 6-9

02-03 - .5586 - .5791 - 3-13

03-04 - .5468 - .5623 - 6-10

04-05 - .5594 - .5694 - 7-9

05-06 - .5802 - .5566 - 7-9

06-07 - .5693 - .5566 - 6-10

Doc Sadler

07-08 - .5466 - .5663 - 7-9

08-09 - .5823 - .5604 - 8-8

09-10 - .5476 - .5993 - 2-14

10-11 - .5748 - .5726 - 7-9

11-12 - .5769 - .5650 - 4-14 *Huskers first year in B1G

Tim Miles

12-13 - .5772 - .5581 - 5-13

13-14 - .5737 - .5812 - 11-7

14-15 - .5633 - .5848 - 5-13

15-16 - .5515 - .5884 - 6-12

16-17 - .5667 - .5748 - 6-12

Under Nee (for time frame available), the B1G was better four out of 7 years. B1G Average: .5658; Big 8/XII Average: .5642

Under Collier, the Big XII was better 4 out of 6 years. B1G: .5614; Big XII: .5640

Under Sadler, the B1G was better 3 out of 5 years. B1G: .5656; Big XII: .5727

Under Miles, the Big XII has been better 4 out of 5 years. B1G: .5664; Big XII: .5774

Under Miles, the B1G Average RPI has been .5664. Under the other three coaches (all but one year in the BiG XII), the Big XII was .5642, .5640 and .5727 for an overall average of .5665.

So, generally speaking, the B1G was slightly tougher under Miles than the Big XII was for Nee and Collier, though the Big XII was noticeably tougher for Sadler.

Overall, there is hardly enough distinction in the overall toughness to even be brought up.

• Plus1 1
16 hours ago, Mavric said:

That seems to be the narrative.  But I did some research on it last year and it doesn't really turn out to be the case:

Duly noted. So conference strength doesn't paint either W/L record in a flattering light, to be honest, since the difference is so negligible, right? 

On 3/4/2018 at 5:06 PM, VectorVictor said:

In all fairness Doc Sadler defeated Kevin Durant and Micheal Beasly in the same season, I believe.

Edited by KingBlank
20 hours ago, KingBlank said:

In all fairness Doc Sadler defeated Kevin Durant and Micheal Beasly in the same season, I believe.

While that’s well and great, Mavric already ran the data, and the difference between conferences is negligible at best. 

• 2 weeks later...