2018 Schedule

Nebhawk

I don't know why so many here are marking the Spartans as a win. I don't think they're the push over some might think they are. Sure, the Spartans were 3-9 last year but they've flipped that record this year, 9-3, and heading to a J1 bowl. Over the last 5 years they're 48-17, 12-8 against ranked opponents, and 7-5 against top ten foes. They've won 2 CCs. Little Brother has beat UM 5 out of last 6.

What's the optimism based on? Regardless, I hope you're right!

1 hour ago, 4skers89 said:

Considering over 85% thought 8-4 or better was likely this season, don't take things too seriously 2017 season prediction thread 

We've put ourselves in a deep hole and nobody knows how messed up we actually are.  There are a lot of issues that need to be fixed.  I'm not expecting much the first couple of years.

Honestly, if your looking at this season as to giving any insight on next season, you can't.  As soon as Eich was fired, this team was done, staff was done, and basically as a fan base, we were done.  Writing was on the wall that changes would be made.  Season over!

On 11/26/2017 at 7:21 PM, Redux said:

That and I expect us to finally have some fire down the stretch.  Plus it's Iowa.  Sure Riley went 0-3 against them, but it's still Iowa.  They are a perennial thorn but a beatable thorn.

“ ... a beatable thorn”? Probably not the best time to make such a claim  just a few days after the 56-14 beat down at home? There is a reason they actually play the game - to settle such a question.

4 minutes ago, moveitforward said:

“ ... a beatable thorn”? Probably not the best time to make such a claim  just a few days after the 56-14 beat down at home? There is a reason they actually play the game - to settle such a question.

The point is we have more talent. They aren't some elite team. Yes Riley can't beat them, but they are beatable. They went 7-5 This year so they got beat 5 times. Once by Purdue, a team we beat, even if they handed us the game. So yes they are beatable. Will we beat them next year? A lot of variables so that is hard for me to answer right now, but I do know it will be a game we can win. Can and will are two very different words.

34 minutes ago, moveitforward said:

And there is a reason they beat Ohio State one week then piss it down their leg the next.  They are consistently one of the most inconsistent teams in the country.  The only reason their record fluxtuates as much as it does is because their SOS varies quite a bit year to year.  They are never a team that scares me even if, like this year, we are incapable of beating them.

31 minutes ago, gorp512 said:

What's the big road trip next year? Michigan is shaping up to be a great game, especially early in the season. 

Wisconsin as that has been our achilles since joining the BIG.  I am still struggling with this key question when thinking about Wisconsin...  If Paul Chryst learned under Mike Riley, why doesnt he suck too?

Just now, HuskerNation1 said:

Wisconsin as that has been our achilles since joining the BIG.  I am still struggling with this key question when thinking about Wisconsin...  If Paul Chryst learned under Mike Riley, why doesnt he suck too?

Riley probably has some good qualities to learn from, but Chryst probably realized the things that he should do that Mike didn't do.  I wasn't sure if Chryst would be a great coach when he came back to Madison from Pittsburgh.  Plus, don't underestimate the reach of Barry Alvarez at Wisconsin.  He's basically the Godfather of Madison.

Just now, 4skers89 said:

No, I was referencing Frost's comments after UCF played Michigan in 2016.  Michigan beat UCF 51-14, but after the game Frost commented that he felt that UCF was the more "physical" team and that he was glad to see that.  I am sure Frost was looking for something to boost his team's confidence, two games into his tenure at UCF, but Harbaugh didn't like that comment.

13 minutes ago, Redux said:

And there is a reason they beat Ohio State one week then piss it down their leg the next.  They are consistently one of the most inconsistent teams in the country.  The only reason their record fluxtuates as much as it does is because their SOS varies quite a bit year to year.  They are never a team that scares me even if, like this year, we are incapable of beating them.

And I hope after the next several scheduled games your opinion is shown to be correct. However, given the fact that we are 3-4 against them since jumping to the Big10, we have yet to prove that on the field - where it counts.

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

No, I was referencing Frost's comments after UCF played Michigan in 2016.  Michigan beat UCF 51-14, but after the game Frost commented that he felt that UCF was the more "physical" team and that he was glad to see that.  I am sure Frost was looking for something to boost his team's confidence, two games into his tenure at UCF, but Harbaugh didn't like that comment.

Yikes. I hope Frost can toughen up our marshmallows before that game. If Frost comes here.

13 minutes ago, moveitforward said:

And I hope after the next several scheduled games your opinion is shown to be correct. However, given the fact that we are 3-4 against them since jumping to the Big10, we have yet to prove that on the field - where it counts.

Well the last 3 years we have gone 0-3 vs Iowa AND Wisconsin so thr guy we just fired isn't the best example.  He also managed to almost go 1-2 vs Purdue and DID go 1-2 vs Northwestern.

Since I am a firm believer in the next coach being an immediate upgrade i like our chances.  Iowa is always a beatable team.

Edited by Redux